• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lynemouth Biomass Traffic - New Hoppers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwmbwls

Richard Clinnick writing in Rail magazine reports that :
“GB Railfreight has signed a haulage contract with Lynemouth Power Limited (LPL). The deal includes an order for 50 new purpose built high capacity biomass hopper wagons.
The new hoppers are estimated to enter traffic on October 1. GBRf plans to run 27 trains per week, delivering over 37,000 tonnes per week. The trains will run between Port of Tyne and Lynemouth Power Station.
The contract is part of a ten-year investment project for the power station. GBRf previously operated coal services to Lynemouth power station when it was owned by RWE npower. The last coal train into the station was April 2015”.
In May 2016 Biomass Journal reported
“The U.K.-based Port of Tyne has announced plans to start building new facilities to handle, store and transport wood pellets for Lynemouth Power Ltd. According to information released by the port, LPL is making good progress with its plan to convert from coal to biomass.
The port said it has secured the agreement to handle, store and transport up to 1.8 million metric tons of wood pellets annually once the conversion is complete.
According to the port, construction has begun on its estate at the Tyne Dock in South Shields to build a 75,000 metric ton storage facility, three enclosed conveyors and transfer towers, three silos, a rail loading silo and other works. The Port of Tyne is contributing £13 million ($18.99 million), with the majority of the investment being made by LPL.
The announcement of the new contract with LPL was made at the port’s annual general meeting on May 19. According to the port, it achieved turnover of £59 million and profit before taxes of £6 million last year, despite the dramatic reduction in coal imports to the U.K.
"The fast approaching end of coal imports has been challenging for all U.K. ports that have been handling this cargo, but the strategy of diversification at the Port ensures that we are not reliant on any one sector,” said Andrew Moffat, CEO of the Port of Tyne. “We have been at the forefront of developing expertise and facilities to handle the renewable fuel, wood pellet, and I am delighted that LPL have chosen the Port of Tyne as a key partner in this significant development.”
Are the new hoppers a continuation order for the WH Davis design now used on the Drax services?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furnessvale

Established Member
Richard Clinnick writing in Rail magazine reports that :

Are the new hoppers a continuation order for the WH Davis design now used on the Drax services?

I would hope so but is the current design copyright to Drax?

I believe Lloyds Register and Drax were involved in the design but it would seem silly not to licence it out to other users.

mwmbwls

Railway Gazette reports today:

"UK: Wagon manufacturer Astra and leasing company Nacco are to supply GB Railfreight with 50 high-capacity hopper wagons to support a biomass haulage contract awarded by Lynemouth Power Ltd.
The purpose-built wagons are scheduled to enter service from October 1 2017. GBRf plans to run 27 trains per week between the Port of Tyne and Lynemouth Power Station, delivering over 37 000 tonnes of biomas per week.
GBRf previously hauled coal to the power station when it was owned by RWE npower, with the last coal train running in April 2015.
'GB Railfreight has grown extensively over the past few years, and new contracts with companies such as LPL are an indication of the positive outlook for our company's future’, said GBRf Managing Director John Smith".

Astra are based at Arad in Romania. A quick flick through their catalogue shows a number of hoppers but not one specifically designed for biomass.
http://www.astrarail.com/products/

The opening of a second biomass route from the Port of Tyne has already encouraged the Port Authorities there to increase their unloading capability there. This could go on to present a challenge for biomass traffic to Drax from Liverpool as the Port of Tyne trains would not have to follow the round the houses route around Manchester.The Port of Tyne is accessible at all states of the tide. There are no length or beam restrictions for vessels in the entrance to the Port. With a controlled depth of 10 metres below Chart Datum in the lower reaches of the Port and 13 metres below Chart Datum at its principal, multi-user berth, Riverside Quay, the Port can easily accommodate panamax-class vessels. Rail Freight is a prime example of the lowest cost producer sweeping the market and this type of volume increase could be just what the doctor ordered for Tyneside.

Last edited:

cawky22

Railway Gazette reports today:

Astra are based at Arad in Romania. A quick flick through their catalogue shows a number of hoppers but not one specifically designed for biomass.
http://www.astrarail.com/products/

The opening of a second biomass route from the Port of Tyne has already encouraged the Port Authorities there to increase their unloading capability there. This could go on to present a challenge for biomass traffic to Drax from Liverpool as the Port of Tyne trains would not have to follow the round the houses route around Manchester.The Port of Tyne is accessible at all states of the tide. There are no length or beam restrictions for vessels in the entrance to the Port. With a controlled depth of 10 metres below Chart Datum in the lower reaches of the Port and 13 metres below Chart Datum at its principal, multi-user berth, Riverside Quay, the Port can easily accommodate panamax-class vessels. Rail Freight is a prime example of the lowest cost producer sweeping the market and this type of volume increase could be just what the doctor ordered for Tyneside.

They have not increased there unloading capability at all , I live 1 mile from the main unloading area.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
it must be one of these designs with a roof on :- http://www.astrarail.com/products/iia-90-m3/

fgwrich

Established Member
They have not increased there unloading capability at all , I live 1 mile from the main unloading area.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
it must be one of these designs with a roof on :- http://www.astrarail.com/products/iia-90-m3/

Understandable if it is another run of those wagons, as GBRF already operate a large fleet of these (GBRF and ex Fastline) for both Biomass and Coal triffic.

mwmbwls

Understandable if it is another run of those wagons, as GBRF already operate a large fleet of these (GBRF and ex Fastline) for both Biomass and Coal triffic.

When these wagons were used for the Ironbridge Biomass Trains prior to the closure of Ironbridge B power station they would spray a fine haze of woodchip dust as they passed.
18687042056_98d943d3ae_c.jpg

furnessvale

Established Member
When these wagons were used for the Ironbridge Biomass Trains prior to the closure of Ironbridge B power station they would spray a fine haze of woodchip dust as they passed.
18687042056_98d943d3ae_c.jpg

Interesting. I never noticed that myself.

As these wagons are conversions of existing coal hoppers, hopefully any new build will address this problem with better door seals etc.

fgwrich

Established Member

Did they have covers on these? I know there are some converted with covers on for the Biomass traffic, but could / would GBRf have used uncovered ones in service I wonder too?

cawky22

Did they have covers on these? I know there are some converted with covers on for the Biomass traffic, but could / would GBRf have used uncovered ones in service I wonder too?

They must be covered to keep cargo dry .

here is some of the planning drawings for Tyne Dock :-

http://planning.southtyneside.info/...gements Drg No T7290-100-001Rev P2 111214.pdf

http://planning.southtyneside.info/...etails Drg No T7290-230-001 Rev P2 111214.pdf

http://planning.southtyneside.info/...000/724201/ST117614EIA Model Image 111214.pdf

all can be found here :-

http://planning.southtyneside.info/...spx?searchType=Planning Application&PK=724201

furnessvale

Established Member

I think only DBS attempted to use open hoppers for biomass but was plagued by rain etc. I think the train had to be cancelled on rainy days. What they did if it started raining eh route I have no idea.

cawky22

First ship for Lynemouth biomass power station is due at the Tyne on 2nd of August and it's a brand new ship too. FLORENTINE OTECKER

Status
Not open for further replies.