• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Madrid-Malaga train question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingston

Exceptionally niche request, but I'm planning on travelling on this train next week:

Thursday, 11 August
18.13 Madrid-Puerta De Atocha
20.46 Málaga María Zambrano
AVE 02182

I have a flight at 01:15 from Malaga, which means I'd need to be at Málaga María Zambrano by 23:30 latest to make it to the airport in time.

That means I can tolerate about a 2h45m delay to the train and hopefully still make it. Ordinarily that seems a safe enough margin and I'd be relatively happy with this, especially in the UK.

However I know very little about the Spanish network.

Does anyone know if there's an equivalent to https://www.recenttraintimes.co.uk/ for Spain? Looking up past reliability/punctuality would be really useful.

Even more niche, does anyone have any insight into reliability, current issues, strikes, weather etc, in general or of that route?

I've looked up the compensation policy which is 100% refund for a 30m+ delay, which seems generous enough to imply long delays are relatively rare (?).

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Austriantrain

Established Member
Exceptionally niche request, but I'm planning on travelling on this train next week:

Thursday, 11 August
18.13 Madrid-Puerta De Atocha
20.46 Málaga María Zambrano
AVE 02182

I have a flight at 01:15 from Malaga, which means I'd need to be at Málaga María Zambrano by 23:30 latest to make it to the airport in time.

That means I can tolerate about a 2h45m delay to the train and hopefully still make it. Ordinarily that seems a safe enough margin and I'd be relatively happy with this, especially in the UK.

However I know very little about the Spanish network.

Does anyone know if there's an equivalent to https://www.recenttraintimes.co.uk/ for Spain? Looking up past reliability/punctuality would be really useful.

Even more niche, does anyone have any insight into reliability, current issues, strikes, weather etc, in general or of that route?

I've looked up the compensation policy which is 100% refund for a 30m+ delay, which seems generous enough to imply long delays are relatively rare (?).

Thanks in advance.

AFAIK AVE services are extremely punctual and have large recovery margins in the timetable; hence the generous refund policy. Of course, problems can still occur, e.g. if the line needs to be closed for some reason.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Yes-plus the traffic is even less as 1 tr/hr on the last leg-a few more on the first getting out of Mad.
Note: IF requested same time with the booking you can get for free additional ticket for the cercanias line-it covers the section till aeropuerto-runs ev 20/30 mins-till fairly late too (trains to Torremolinos-Fuengirola- from a tunnel at far southern end of this giant estacion, whcih is more a shopping centre). With the extra code you should then be able to open gates. IF not-use crdt/bankcard to pay the few € for this last trip-check in+out-just like you would do in LON. NOrmal tickets have an extra fee for the paper.

Austriantrain

Established Member
Yes-plus the traffic is even less as 1 tr/hr on the last leg-a few more on the first getting out of Mad.

Also, because of the gauge difference, no interference with local or freight trains (Euromed between Barcelona and Alicante has a less generous refund policy; still good but the reason certainly is that it mostly runs on a mixed-traffic railway).

Status
Not open for further replies.