• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Maghull North, further upset for residents

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Was this subject to Planning Permission? I know some railway stuff isn't?

If so, did they respond the consultation? If it was subject to the planning process they will almost certainly, as an adjoining neighbour, have received notice through their door. There would have been notices on lamp posts locally, and possibly coverage in local press.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Nevermind, answered my own question, the application is here. It appears that they did object, along with their neighbours (and that the objections submitted included, as is often the case, reasons that are not considered by the process- eg value for money). The report (go to documents and "Committee Report" deals in detail with the objections and the mitigation provided.

Whilst the bridge tower will shadow the garden, that'll be in the morning only

jopsuk

Veteran Member
As for the colour, it would appear from the final renders (*amended* visual etc) that the towers will be grey brick with black roof when finished. Surprised (from visual 8c (Overhead view)) that part of the platform nearest number 86 won't actually be in use- I'd guess all the speakers for announcements will only be at the building and at the in use section of platform?

Class 170101

Established Member
Merseyrail don't presently have an autoannouncer, fortunately for them, nor indeed any station announcements at all other than during disruption.

Those will be irritating if a train is delayed and keeps getting further delayed. It will repeat that every 60 seconds.

urbophile

Established Member
I've never noticed any audio announcements about delays, unless a train is so late it skips stops. Even then, although it's announced at Liverpool Central (say) I'm not sure if there is anything at intermediate stations except the visual display, which would just say 'cancelled'.

Clive Hanley

I took a look over the bridge adjacent to the new Maghull North station on Saturday evening just gone and can sympathise with the house owners adjacent to the lift shaft ugly structures that have been constructed. What I cannot understand is why a footbridge/lift structure was not sited adjacent to the roadbridge School Lane/Deyes Lane and possibly even attached to it. That would have been far less intrusive than creating yet another overbridge structure. The same bad planning has been imposed at Stratford upon Avon where a comprehensive overhaul was undertaken on the (listed?) ex GWR wooden structure a couple of years ago which was closely followed by another footbridge/lift construction 20 yards further north. For the sake of a few disabled people to reach the island platform could a ramp have been installed down from the adjacent road bridge?
In addition, at the new Stratford upon Avon Parkway station a totally over-engineered ramp system has been constructed to enable wheelchairs to gain access to the north bound platform. Why was some thought not put into utilising the bridge on Bishopton Lane for wheelchair access or even the A46 bridge? Is that too difficult for the planners/architects to organise? Or do they get a kick back from the lift manufacturers/installers? (stand back for the criticism)
On the plus side a local estate agent told me that the houses close to the new station will increase in value by possibly £15 - £20K.

davegore2005

I took a look over the bridge adjacent to the new Maghull North station on Saturday evening just gone and can sympathise with the house owners adjacent to the lift shaft ugly structures that have been constructed.
On the plus side a local estate agent told me that the houses close to the new station will increase in value by possibly £15 - £20K.

that's the thing, as I said in my original post i grew up with in a house where the back gate was only maybe 20 feet to a busy railway line, and yes, you don't notice the trains, in fact you notice the quiet more when they were ever off, but to have that structure right at the bottom of my garden when it clearly wasn't there before, and however they decide to colour or render it or still try to camouflage it, is still a very large intrusion in someone's life, pretty much regardless of any increase of the house prices.

Dacve

Clive Hanley

I've uploaded a couple of photos to my website that clearly demonstrate how awful the two lift shafts look. Why couldn't the station be built adjacent to the existing bridge and if lifts were still needed they wouldn't be too aesthetically out of place? Can Network Rail/Merseyrail planners not liaise effectively with the local highways authority to get their act together?
http://evergreen.zenfolio.com/p430045295#ha33d9aae

Status
Not open for further replies.