• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Magnet fisher pulls railway track explosives from Long Melford river

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trestrol

I have got experience of handling them - and of disassembling them for QC purposes!

Knowing exactly how they were / are constructed, I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of them were still viable. Tinplated steel, sealed by crimping then dipped in paint might well mean that there had been no moisture penetration so the black powder inside might be OK. The percussion caps might have degraded and become unstable though... I wouldn't play with them!
Too true my thoughts exactly. 50+ years in water and there will be very little left of them. I know older versions were more substantial than the modern ones but still.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skutter

The line closed in 1967 and was lifted in 1970 according to Disused Stations. As the B1064 does not seem to be closer to the Stour than about 100 yards they were either playing very safe or there were a lot of detonators.
Probably where the fishermen was parked. Find an interesting tin can, take it back to the car and open it ... oh dear! Full marks to them for calling the police, not just chucking them back in the river.

Trog

Established Member
............................. Although I doubt it's as simple as lining them all up at the end of a siding and asking the shunter to do the honours...

I have known it to be done that way, sounds like machine gun fire if you are getting rid of a few hundred.

AndrewE

Established Member
Although I doubt it's as simple as lining them all up at the end of a siding and asking the shunter to do the honours...

I have known it to be done that way, sounds like machine gun fire if you are getting rid of a few hundred.
...but not at the end of a siding please! Complaints of dets not exploding have been found to be because the loco was going too slow. It is apparently possible to squeeze them flat slowly enough that the caps don't fire. I think the test spec said after soaking overnight in a bucket of (initially) hot water, lay them on a line and run over them at exactly - or maybe "at least" - 3 mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.