• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Maidenhead to Norbiton season pass questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meleelord

Hi everyone,

I am moving to Maidenhead soon and am looking for the cheapest season pass. On the National Rail website and The Train Line it is showing roughly £251 for a monthly season ticket. I'm having real trouble trying to work out which route I can take using this. It says Maidenhead to London Travelcard Zones 5-6. Could anyone possibly assist?

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Me too. Looks convoluted and might well require bus journeys in the Hounslow area! Possibly need a slightly more expensive travelcard with more zones than just 5-6 or a season routed via Reading.

Non Multi

If you're able to drive, you could look at parking in Eton or Windsor, and commute from Riverside Station with 1 change at Twickenham for the Kingston loop train (for Norbiton).

15 years ago I commuted between Burnham and Kingston, changing at Slough, walking between Windsor stations and another change at Twickenham. It was slow, but nicer than the hour long TfL 65 bus from Kingston to Ealing and waiting for an already ram-packed 3 car Turbo at Ealing Broadway at 6PM.

APT618S

I think the route you have to take is as follows:
Maidenhead to Slough
Slough to Windsor and Eton Central
Walk to Windsor and Eton Riverside
Windsor and Eton Riverside to Twickenham
Twickenham to Norbiton
NRE gives a journey time of 1hr 35min for Mon 25th Jan leaving Maidenhead at 0715, arriving Norbiton at 0850.

Veteran Member
https://www.brfares.com/!fares?orig=MAI&dest=NBT gives you the options.
A Travelcard Season would be valid via the Zone 6 boundary on the GW/TfL route - there are separate via Windsor and via Reading fares.

Zones 5-6 means the route via Hayes and Feltham - I would consider the Zone 3-6 option (not shown on NRE for some reason which allows you to use the District Ealing-Turnham Green-Richmond.

Last edited:

JB_B

Established Member
I think the OP's ticket should be vaild via Reading and Twickenham. (Obviously not a very practical route.)

alistairlees

Established Member
I think the OP's ticket should be vaild via Reading and Twickenham. (Obviously not a very practical route.)
You beat me to it. Actually some journeys via this route are only 13 minutes longer and, given that it is three trains rather than four, that there is no walk, and that the GWR part of the journey is against the flow (though it remains to be seen if that matters much for a while now), then it will be worth trying for sure. Also has the advantage of being able to pop into the shops in Reading on the way back.

Non Multi

Another route that can be done (not recommended as commuting via Hayes and Heathrow is miserable):
Train 1: Maidenhead - Hayes & Harlington.
TfL 90 bus to Fern Grove stop (for Feltham Station).
Trains 2 & 3: Feltham - Norbiton (with change of train at Twickenham).

matt_world2004

Established Member
Might be better going to Ealing Broadway, 65 and then walking at Kingston station or getting on a train to Norbiton

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Did consider that, but seasons between Maidenhead and Norbiton routed "Reading not London" seem to be somewhat more expensive so don't think it would be allowed.

Another more expensive season ticket variant than the one suggested by the OP is route "via Windsor" but not sure I'd recommend that either.

Non Multi

Might be better going to Ealing Broadway, 65 and then walking at Kingston station or getting on a train to Norbiton
Did that for a year (2002-3). The train leg might be a bit better with today's longer 9 car trains, but unless it was school half term holidays, the 65 bus route was interminably slow.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Did consider that, but seasons between Maidenhead and Norbiton routed "Reading not London" seem to be somewhat more expensive so don't think it would be allowed.
The fact there is a more expensive route of fare is irrelevant in this case, as the OP is not relying on the automatic validity of Any Permitted tickets on cheaper, alternative fare routes.

An outboundary Travelcard (such as Maidenhead to Zones 5-6) is valid via all permitted routes to your chosen station at the outermost Zone of the Travelcard. This is because it is effectively a Maidenhead to Boundary Zone 6 season ticket, as well as a Zones 5-6 Travelcard, all in one.

As Feltham is the last station in Zone 6 when travelling towards Norbiton, the ticket is valid via Reading (going via Reading is a permitted for Maidenhead to Feltham).

That said, this is one of those commutes where public transport isn't a great option for the entire journey, and where driving to a different station would save a lot of time and effort.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Thank you for the explanation.

It does, however, seem counter intuitive that, given that Maidenhead - Feltham also has three fares, namely "Any Permitted", a more expensive "via Windsor" and an even more expensive "via Reading not London" routeing; that the latter two of these three routes can then be used in conjunction with a Maidenhead to Z56 travelcard.

Wouldn't one expect travel on an outboundary Z56 travelcard from Maidenhead to access Z56 by just the most direct way, i.e. via West Drayton?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Wouldn't one expect travel on an outboundary Z56 travelcard from Maidenhead to access Z56 by just the most direct way, i.e. via West Drayton?
That's the way it will be priced, but price is not a determinant of validity - and more fundamentally, if they only wanted it to be valid this way, the outboundary TC would have to be routed something more specific than Any Permitted, e.g. via Iver/Langley.

In the absence of such a route, it is perfectly permissible to make use of the validity to any chosen Zone 6 station.

Meleelord

Thank you for the big response with all your answers. Unfortunately I do not drive so wouldn't be able to get to Windsor easily, although I have considered cycling.

At the moment even though it's 4 changes, the route via Windsor may be more expensive but easier journey for me and it's fairly quick at 1 hour 35 minutes. I'm trying to avoid the buses where possible, and definitely don't want to go into London via Paddington as that's probably the most expensive option.

The route via Reading, would this be more expensive than Windsor am I understanding correctly?

https://www.brfares.com/!fares?orig=MAI&dest=NBT gives you the options.
A Travelcard Season would be valid via the Zone 6 boundary on the GW/TfL route - there are separate via Windsor and via Reading fares.

Zones 5-6 means the route via Hayes and Feltham - I would consider the Zone 3-6 option (not shown on NRE for some reason which allows you to use the District Ealing-Turnham Green-Richmond.

Which route would this allow me to take if I were to use the district?

You beat me to it. Actually some journeys via this route are only 13 minutes longer and, given that it is three trains rather than four, that there is no walk, and that the GWR part of the journey is against the flow (though it remains to be seen if that matters much for a while now), then it will be worth trying for sure. Also has the advantage of being able to pop into the shops in Reading on the way back.

Have you got an example of the route?

The fact there is a more expensive route of fare is irrelevant in this case, as the OP is not relying on the automatic validity of Any Permitted tickets on cheaper, alternative fare routes.

An outboundary Travelcard (such as Maidenhead to Zones 5-6) is valid via all permitted routes to your chosen station at the outermost Zone of the Travelcard. This is because it is effectively a Maidenhead to Boundary Zone 6 season ticket, as well as a Zones 5-6 Travelcard, all in one.

As Feltham is the last station in Zone 6 when travelling towards Norbiton, the ticket is valid via Reading (going via Reading is a permitted for Maidenhead to Feltham).

That said, this is one of those commutes where public transport isn't a great option for the entire journey, and where driving to a different station would save a lot of time and effort.
So this would be Maidenhead to Reading to Twickenham to Norbiton?

I think I'm getting the zone boundaries slowly

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thank you for the big response with all your answers. Unfortunately I do not drive so wouldn't be able to get to Windsor easily, although I have considered cycling.
No worries. Unless you live rather far from Maidenhead station, cycling to Windsor probably isn't worthwhile - I guess it depends on how much you like cycling (and how fast you are!).

The route via Reading, would this be more expensive than Windsor am I understanding correctly?
There is indeed a more expensive "point to point" season routed via Reading. This is not a Travelcard and thus it is one of those cases where you pay more and get less! A Maidenhead to Zones 5-6 Travelcard is valid via Reading and thus there is no point in buying the more expensive non-Travelcard season.

So this would be Maidenhead to Reading to Twickenham to Norbiton?
Yes, that would be the route if you went via Reading.

I think I'm getting the zone boundaries slowly
Have a look at this map and this map - they might help explain some of the boundaries and routes a bit better.

Meleelord

No worries. Unless you live rather far from Maidenhead station, cycling to Windsor probably isn't worthwhile - I guess it depends on how much you like cycling (and how fast you are!).

There is indeed a more expensive "point to point" season routed via Reading. This is not a Travelcard and thus it is one of those cases where you pay more and get less! A Maidenhead to Zones 5-6 Travelcard is valid via Reading and thus there is no point in buying the more expensive non-Travelcard season.

Yes, that would be the route if you went via Reading.

Have a look at this map and this map - they might help explain some of the boundaries and routes a bit better.
Thank you for the maps, they've provided a handy guide to which stations are permitted!

Just out of curiosity I tried putting in the journey in reverse from Norbiton to Maidenhead, and the options I was given were far more expensive, is this because it states Reading/Windsor as specific routes? I'll be able to use the Maidenhead to Zones 5-6 Travelcard to return home in the evenings? Looking to opt for this route of Reading and Twickenham as I'm trying to save money where possible, even though it might take slightly more time to travel.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thank you for the maps, they've provided a handy guide to which stations are permitted!

Just out of curiosity I tried putting in the journey in reverse from Norbiton to Maidenhead, and the options I was given were far more expensive, is this because it states Reading/Windsor as specific routes? I'll be able to use the Maidenhead to Zones 5-6 Travelcard to return home in the evenings? Looking to opt for this route of Reading and Twickenham as I'm trying to save money where possible, even though it might take slightly more time to travel.
I expect that’ll be because Travelcard tickets from inside the zones to a place outside the zones are just not available. Therefore journey planners don’t offer them for purchase “the wrong way round”, but of course the season version will be usable in either direction.

Veteran Member
Which route would this allow me to take if I were to use the district?
GW/Elizabeth to Ealing Bwy, District to Turnham Green then to Richmond, SW to Norbiton via Kingston.
To go via Earls Court and Wimbledon, which is another more frequent option, you would need Zones 2-6. (I mention this because Twickenham to Norbiton is only half hourly, though you can go via Fulwell in between rather than wait)

Meleelord

I expect that’ll be because Travelcard tickets from inside the zones to a place outside the zones are just not available. Therefore journey planners don’t offer them for purchase “the wrong way round”, but of course the season version will be usable in either direction.

That makes sense, it's strange how it works but I'm learning! Thanks for your help and knowledge

GW/Elizabeth to Ealing Bwy, District to Turnham Green then to Richmond, SW to Norbiton via Kingston.
To go via Earls Court and Wimbledon, which is another more frequent option, you would need Zones 2-6. (I mention this because Twickenham to Norbiton is only half hourly, though you can go via Fulwell in between rather than wait)

Thank you, this might be an option I take in the future if I find the commute starts taking up too much time by the option I have chosen.

Snow1964

Established Member
I suspect Maidenhead - Ealing Broadway, district line to Turnham Green, district to Richmond will be best. Then after Richmond :

The Richmond- Norbiton train is rather infrequent so possibly use 65 or 371 bus from Richmond (will definitely be quicker if just missed a train). Quickest is 65 to Ham Parade (runs every 5-6 minute) , change to 371 (every 8-10 mins from memory), goes straight down Tudor Drive towards Norbiton (using 65 avoids indirect 371 via Richmond Hill and Ham Estate) The 371 stops by the roundabout 2 minutes walk from Norbiton station, other end of Manorgate Road.

I suspect it will better than using District via Earls Court & Wimbledon as alternative as you will save some travelcard zones so will be cheaper

Last edited:

James Wake

You can pick up the 281 outside Twickenham Station too to take you to Kingston, or the 285 at Feltham, depending on the train times and the route that you’re going. You can change at Cromwell Rd Bus Stn onto many routes that go up to the Norbiton area, K2/K3/K4/K5, 57/213, 85/371.

Ealing to Kingston on the 65 can take a while, but if you used Oyster or Contactless for bus, it would only be £4.50 a day extra on top of a Maidenhead to Ealing ticket, so it depends whether that is a saving enough over the zones 5-6 or 3-6 options

Status
Not open for further replies.