• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Maintenance depot driver - Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andywen

Hi all. I'm looking for advise please. I'm thinking of applying for the role of maintenance depot driver for Northern, based at Heaton. Could anybody please tell me the the likely shift patterns, also how many days holiday a year you normally get. Also, what is the genuine likelihood of being able to progress as a driver on the mainline? Or would it be difficult, as they'd want to try and keep you at the depot? Just lots of questions going on in my head. Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Owen2323

The shift pattern is predominantly nights (don't know how many on/off), can't speak for definite re holidays but probably 5 weeks each to be taken as blocks of Sunday to Saturday. Bank Holidays are a normal day at work on the railway so if you're rostered it you work it (but you get 8 lieu days to take throughout the year to compensate).

It is generally accepted that it can be quite difficult to go from MDD to mainline but it's by no means impossible (just you may have to be patient if you're successful in applying especially if it's internal). There are people who want to go mainline not long after they've started but apparently there are MDD's who have been their years and have no intention of leaving. I think the overtime can be quite plentiful (in contrast to mainline which must make up quite a bit in the pay discrepancy)

WBFC345

Hi all. I'm looking for advice please. I'm thinking of applying for the role of maintenance depot driver for Northern, based at Heaton. Could anybody please tell me the the likely shift patterns, also how many days holiday a year you normally get. Also, what is the genuine likelihood of being able to progress as a driver on the mainline? Or would it be difficult, as they'd want to try and keep you at the depot? Just lots of questions going on in my head. Thanks in advance.
Message me if you want some information

Andywen

The shift pattern is predominantly nights (don't know how many on/off), can't speak for definite re holidays but probably 5 weeks each to be taken as blocks of Sunday to Saturday. Bank Holidays are a normal day at work on the railway so if you're rostered it you work it (but you get 8 lieu days to take throughout the year to compensate).

It is generally accepted that it can be quite difficult to go from MDD to mainline but it's by no means impossible (just you may have to be patient if you're successful in applying especially if it's internal). There are people who want to go mainline not long after they've started but apparently there are MDD's who have been their years and have no intention of leaving. I think the overtime can be quite plentiful (in contrast to mainline which must make up quite a bit in the pay discrepancy)
Thanks very much for response

banksywhoshe

I’ve just passed interview for the same job but different depot, it’s very much 7 on 7 off, one week of 08.30-15.30 on the roster I saw, they have a 6 week roster.

Good luck!

banksywhoshe

First two were easy, why did I want the job and what did I know about northern, I got one about a time I dealt with a stressful situation and diffused it and the outcome, and there was another where they asked me about taking the lead in a situation. I kept everything pretty much on safety and communication.

washington16

I have an interview on Friday for the role, are there any other trains in the depot other than 156/158, that are having work done to them, within the northern fleet? much appreciated. Last time I was there for a interview, a 153 was having work done but that was over a year ago now.

washington16

I have done prep work yes, I have had the interview before for this role, so I have a rough idea of what questions to expect. However I have still been practising. I wouldn't say nervous, however we will see on the day haha.

Andywen

I have an interview on Friday for the role, are there any other trains in the depot other than 156/158, that are having work done to them, within the northern fleet? much appreciated. Last time I was there for a interview, a 153 was having work done but that was over a year ago now.
Hi. If you don't mind me asking. When did you apply for the role?

ScottyNCL

Hi all, Ive just been given an interview date for this role. Could someone message me some advice on the interview, what is expected, more specifically the heaton depot. Cheers

stumurph01

Hi I'm new to this forum and I am thinking of applying for the role of service driver for Northern rail. Is this the same as a depot driver? Also any information about the role would be appreciated. Typical shift patterns whether there are night allowance rates of pay etc. Many thanks

Snow1964

Established Member
Looks like Northern are after drivers to take stock to maintenance depots. Suitable for a SME (small & medium enterprise), so on face of it any bunch of drivers could set up a company and bid for it providing they meet or learn the route knowledge requirements

1 buyer​

Description​

NTL has a requirement for rail transportation services including the provision of trained drivers and the procurement of track access and any other relevant consents, licenses or permits required to deliver NTL rolling stock from pick up point to delivery location. As part of our maintenance review for various fleets that NTL operate there are occasions where we need to move units to facilities which are not within the Northern network. Therefor we need drivers with the correct route knowledge to take our units to necessary locations. As such we need a 3rd party provider as a pose to using NTL drivers to get to the locations. It is NTL's intention to tender for this service and award to a sole provider.

CPV Codes​

• 60200000 - Railway transport services

Indicators​

• Contract is suitable for SMEs.

Other Information​

Please follow this link to view the notice https://www.delta-esourcing.com/tenders/UK-UK-York:-Railway-transport-services./...

skyhigh

Established Member
Looks like Northern are after drivers to take stock to maintenance depots. Suitable for a SME (small & medium enterprise), so on face of it any bunch of drivers could set up a company and bid for it providing they meet or learn the route knowledge requirements

This is simply re-tendering for the contract that ROG currently holds to move units between locations. It has nothing at all to do with day-to-day stock movements on and off depots and nothing to do with recruitment or staffing numbers for depot drivers.

Mgees

Hi all. I'm looking for advise please. I'm thinking of applying for the role of maintenance depot driver for Northern, based at Heaton. Could anybody please tell me the the likely shift patterns, also how many days holiday a year you normally get. Also, what is the genuine likelihood of being able to progress as a driver on the mainline? Or would it be difficult, as they'd want to try and keep you at the depot? Just lots of questions going on in my head. Thanks in advance.
Hi, did you apply in the end? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.