• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Major Disruption At London Euston (1st - 3rd Dec 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The BBC is still banging on in news bulletins about the disruption at Euston some 5 hours after services restarted.
They even have a correspondent at Euston saying everything is pretty much normal.
Must be a slow news day.

Mentioned on the football coverage to. Quickly corrected the statement that Euston was closed, followed by some grumbling about Sunday travel

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
Was Coasting actually possible past the worksite with all four lines isolated and secondly how do 350s and 390s take to coasting anyway. I get the impression the older BR Stock like 321s and 365s would be more receptive to it than newer trains with their technological advances.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Was Coasting actually possible past the worksite with all four lines isolated and secondly how do 350s and 390s take to coasting anyway. I get the impression the older BR Stock like 321s and 365s would be more receptive to it than newer trains with their technological advances.

All EMUs coast when you get to a neutral section. You can tell when 350s do, as you get a massive (concerningly loud) bang from the breakers when the power is shut off.

You can tell on 390s as well, as the aircon shuts off, it only runs when on 25kV and stops immediately when you switch to the batteries.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Excellent job Network Rail for doing the fix on time.

Terrible job to LM for basically withdrawing all service (including services that could have been operated) with no replacement. I hope they are royally penalised for this. Clearly they no longer give a monkey's with only a week to go!

I'm not sure what "penalty" can be raised against them - however you bet your bottom dollar they will be getting plenty of compensation from NR!

DJH1971

Established Member
I was caught up in it all. Was on the 07:19 WBQ-EUS (originating from GLC) which arrived on time but over 30 minutes late, plus went back on the 17:30 EUS-GLC that arrived at WBQ nearly 45 minutes late. Compensation claim for 'delay repay' already filed.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Current "score" on the WCML: 433 full and 234 part cancellations, with 1476 trains delayed for 31866 minutes.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It’s not short for anything. It’s in reference to the weekly operating notice where each possession (or equivalent) is referred to as an item (+ chronological number). Effectively an item of work.

Presumably the "PART TWO" that is currently showing at Epsom is in the same vein - it refers to part 2 of whatever the instructions they are using are?

mrmartin

I was also caught up with this, on both Friday and Sunday. I had LM-only tickets, and LM's communication was extremely poor and confusing.

Some tweets (from other official sources, not LM) were saying that VT would accept LM tickets. Other tweets were saying it was likely the line would be closed for the whole day and not to attempt travel.

Turns out there was no LM<->VT ticket acceptance (even though there was on Friday), which meant by the time I got to the station I got home really late as I assumed I would be able to get a much more frequent and quicker VT train. There was acceptance on Chiltern though all day, so I really don't know what they were thinking. Really annoying as I'd have set off a lot earlier.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I was also caught up with this, on both Friday and Sunday. I had LM-only tickets, and LM's communication was extremely poor and confusing.

Some tweets (from other official sources, not LM) were saying that VT would accept LM tickets. Other tweets were saying it was likely the line would be closed for the whole day and not to attempt travel.

Turns out there was no LM<->VT ticket acceptance (even though there was on Friday), which meant by the time I got to the station I got home really late as I assumed I would be able to get a much more frequent and quicker VT train. There was acceptance on Chiltern though all day, so I really don't know what they were thinking. Really annoying as I'd have set off a lot earlier.

Are you sure? On Saturday I think LM were taking Virgin tickets.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
https://twitter.com/martinald/status/937325731348131842 <- yes. Also asked VT staff on platform and they said there was no acceptance.

Can't understand the logic of having acceptance on Chiltern but not VT.

The logic is that Chiltern are an alternative route and VT aren't! (Also VT will have been busy with a full day's passengers crammed into half a day, not to mention that people would wise up and buy LM Only tickeets specifically to use VT and thus lose them money).

HowardGWR

Established Member
The logic is that Chiltern are an alternative route and VT aren't! (Also VT will have been busy with a full day's passengers crammed into half a day, not to mention that people would wise up and buy LM Only tickeets specifically to use VT and thus lose them money).
Not very good PR though is it? A chance to curry favour with pax is missed, one could think.

mrmartin

No I understand that but considering they had VT and LM acceptance all weekend, bit silly to then change it on the last day of delays - especially considering the media prominence it got

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
One of the issues I see with acceptance is that it tends to end during the day - no use if you've driven to the alternative station. I personally think if it is in place on a given day it should be required to continue through to end of service, with some kind of further formalised exemption for someone who has taken a period return journey using a ticket purchased in advance or season ticket[1] by driving or cycling to the alternative.

[1] Because if you were buying it on the day you'd just buy the ticket from the alternative instead.

urbophile

Established Member

My daughter was travelling back to Liverpool from Euston on Saturday evening. She was supposed to be on LM as she had a free LM day pass; she managed to get a through Virgin train which took only 40 minutes longer than it should have done, and much less than the LM service (with a change of trains). The NR website specifically said that LM tickets were acceptable (though they might have quibbled about that particular one, issued as a freebie at the Liverpool International Music Festival in the summer). However nobody checked anybody's ticket on the whole journey.

6Gman

Established Member
We were mixed up in this on Friday - on 1A38 1335 Chester - Euston, which was doing well until Wembley when there was a loud metallic scraping noise (presumably the knitting down the side of the train?). Full brake application; stopped just North of Wembley Central. After a couple of minutes we proceeded (slowly) into the UF platform at Central. After about 20" we were allowed to proceed. Since we were on our way to an expensive concert we felt we got off lightly! But a bit scary!

chiltern trev

We traveled Carlisle to Lancaster on Friday morning.

On our return, I checked the RTT and found services northbound delayed by 30 or 60 minutes.

The northbound WCML through Lancaster all come in a bunch. (Euston direct to Glasgow, then Euston via Birmingham to Glasgow or Edinburgh, the Manchester Airport to Edinburgh or Glasgow) - all 3 within 10 minutes.

So the delays worked to our advantage. We just turned up at Lancaster station at 19.35 and the 19.06 EUS-BHAM-ED arrived with 36 minutes late at 19.42 so we actually had a much quicker returned. (Interestingly the trains via BHAM were only 35 minutes late whereas the direct trains were 60 minutes late.)

I have not put in a delay repay claim for the 19.06 as we had no specific train booked and the delay worked to our advantage.

SPADTrap

Established Member
All EMUs coast when you get to a neutral section. You can tell when 350s do, as you get a massive (concerningly loud) bang from the breakers when the power is shut off.

You can tell on 390s as well, as the aircon shuts off, it only runs when on 25kV and stops immediately when you switch to the batteries.

Coasting pan down is quite different to running through a neutral section though. It is worth noting too that Class 365 EMUs cannot coast pan down.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Coasting pan down is quite different to running through a neutral section though. It is worth noting too that Class 365 EMUs cannot coast pan down.
Are you sure about that? I swear they were coasting pan down for quite so distance during works up near Hitchin a couple of years ago.

SPADTrap

Established Member
Are you sure about that? I swear they were coasting pan down for quite so distance during works up near Hitchin a couple of years ago.

Very sure, it has caused them to be snookered on many occasion. When you drop the pantograph on the move the unit looks for 750v DC and you cannot cancel the AWS that sounds and you'd get a TPWS brake demand as a result.

AWS - Automatic Warning System.
TPWS - Train Protection and Warning System.
DC - Direct Current.

Finghall

Presumably damage to the [rear?] pantograph means that the forward one could not be used to take the train forward. Could it perhaps have been used to prevent the train becoming cold and dark?

I noticed that, on Friday evening, some of the up workings were being put on the slow line at Leburn Junction. Was this a measure to prevent conflicting movements at Bourne End? If so it seems sensible.

The photo above appears to show the standard wheelchair ramp in use. Was it developed for inter-train transfers and then used for wheelchairs as a later thought?

Since that would appear to have been a misadventure it presumably does not contribute to our 1/300/y electrocution risk from OHLE.

Is 1Z99 a standard designation for a rescue locomotive?

High voltage OHLE remains the standard for electrical efficiency, high power delivery and high speed running.
That's true but why is it that we can't avoid these constant problems with the system bringing once premier lines to a complete halt all too frequently? My main point was that if we are convinced that electrification is the best way forward there need to be contingencies for this disruption such as alternative electrified routes, bi mode trains could help unless of course the alternative routes are restricted for them - if we are to care about the passengers, and of course, the staff involved. I guess I am just saying where is the contingency planning?

daikilo

Established Member
That's true but why is it that we can't avoid these constant problems with the system bringing once premier lines to a complete halt all too frequently? My main point was that if we are convinced that electrification is the best way forward there need to be contingencies for this disruption such as alternative electrified routes, bi mode trains could help unless of course the alternative routes are restricted for them - if we are to care about the passengers, and of course, the staff involved. I guess I am just saying where is the contingency planning?

As I have often suggested, it is not just the contingency planning that needs to be reinforced, but also the corrective actions after events occur, and preferably the identification of the risk before they do.

As far as I am aware, the WCML OHLE is considered to be relatively robust albeit aging, whilst that on the ECML as being inadequate for today's needs. On the other hand, I understand that all pantograph systems in use are considered generally suitable. The result is that there is no easy solution even on the WCML, but but improvements must exist otherwise how does e.g. the SNCF apparently have a better record even on their high-speed lines. Hopefully, even before a robust HS2 is available, time and money will be spent to improve the current WCML and to rebuild the ECML.

A second significant issue is the robustness of certain signalling, where I am sure that the way to go is to improve its robustness rather than use temporary workarounds.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Isn't this why the EMU IEPs are having one engine fitted?

Status
Not open for further replies.