• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Major disruption in the Manchester area this evening

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonmidland

Established Member
It appears that there is a signalling problem in the Castlefield Junction area, causing major disruption to services from Manchester Piccadilly, Oxford Road and Victoria, as trains are getting stuck in a ‘train queue’ through the Castlefield corridor.

Looking at the Open Train Times map for the Manchester area, several services are at a stand, with 1L17 being waiting at the junction for around 40 minutes and counting now.

What strikes me is that the National Rail Enquiries website advertised as disruption now ended, earlier today. Though evidently there is still disruption occurring.

Edit: The same signalling fault has reoccurred again at Trafford Park, closing the line between Manchester Oxford Road and Warrington Central until further notice.

IMG_2808.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Unsure if it was a signalling fault, believe it may be a faulty track. I live opposite the Ordsall Chord, and a Northern service came from Castlefield towards ordsall lane junction. As it was doing so, it immediately slammed on (and made a right screech) and stopped about a carriage beyond the signal.

Driver got out, took a look at the track and then set off again and only 1 TFW service has been through since. Trains heading towards Deansgate have been going through as normal.

vlad

It's not been a good day for rail in Manchester. There's been a major problem, apparently something to do with signalling, in the Ashburys area, meaning that trains to Stalybridge, Hadfield, Marple or Sheffield have been cancelled or delayed.

In hindsight I should have decided not to travel rather than waiting for a rail replacement bus that was announced for over an hour as "arriving in the next 5-10 minutes". :{

M60lad

Out of interest why was 07:48 and 08:48 Northern services Manchester to Sheffield cancelled yesterday? What services that were running from Sheffield to Manchester yesterday morning managed to run via Stockport no problem so what was causing them not to run back that way as 09:48 managed to run via Stockport no problem?

david_g

It's not been a good day for rail in Manchester. There's been a major problem, apparently something to do with signalling, in the Ashburys area, meaning that trains to Stalybridge, Hadfield, Marple or Sheffield have been cancelled or delayed.

In hindsight I should have decided not to travel rather than waiting for a rail replacement bus that was announced for over an hour as "arriving in the next 5-10 minutes". :{
I was on the 10.58 stopper to Huddersfield. After departing Piccadilly the guard announced we would be ten minutes late into Stalybridge as we were goiung "the long way round". Interest piqued, I was rather hoping we would go as far as Ashburys and then reverse via Baguley Fold Junction for some rare track. Unfortunately not, we went to Ardwick, reveresed and then back to Piccadilly platform 14, Ordsall Chord and Victoria. The crawl through Castlefield/Victoria put us 20 minutes late.
Returning from Slaithwaite later in the day TPE had cancellations/late running all over the place though we ran normal route into Piccadilly. The 17.43 which I planned to catch had started short from York(vice Newcastle) and was 45 minutes late, behind the 18.02 which was itself 20 minutes late.
I wasn't sure if this was knock on effects or normal for TPE.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
There had been signalling problems at Leeds and a person hit by a train at Darlington which between them caused significant disruption to TPE services earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.