• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Major incident on Chiltern line near Wembley 06/02/2022?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vectorspace

Been texting with a family member who is on an 8pm train out of Marylebone towards Leamington, the train has been held near Wembley. National Rail website says emergency services responding to an incident, and my family member reports the driver sounding upset, 6 ambulances, police vans, spotlights, and "Police in riot gear cutting through the fence"

Does anyone have more detail?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ibex

Been texting with a relative who is on an 8pm train out of Marylebone towards Leamington, the train has been held near Wembley. National Rail website says emergency services responding to an incident, and my relative reports the driver sounding upset, 6 ambulances, police vans, spotlights, and "Police in riot gear cutting through the fence"

Does anyone have more detail?

Person struck by a train sadly.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/289565.aspx

The emergency services are currently dealing with an incident between London Marylebone and Wembley Stadium. Whilst they carry out their work, trains to / from London Marylebone may be cancelled or delayed by up to 60 minutes. This is expected until 23:00.

Customer advice:

You may use your ticket on:

London Northwestern Railway services between London Euston and Birmingham.
CrossCountry between Reading and Birmingham.
Great Western Railway between London Paddington and Oxford.

Vectorspace

The driver sounding upset would imply it was the train my family member is on, 8pm from Marylebone, which I assume is 1R60. Live arrivals for Leamingson shows the train as cancelled.

What is likely to happen with the train? Will the passengers be taken off, or will they have to wait until the train can be moved? The person I am in contact with said there were no toilets.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The driver sounding upset would imply it was the train my family member is on, 8pm from Marylebone, which I assume is 1R60. Live arrivals for Leamingson shows the train as cancelled.

What is likely to happen with the train? Will the passengers be taken off, or will they have to wait until the train can be moved? The person I am in contact with said there were no toilets.
In my experience, a relief driver will come to take over driving of the train to the next staffed station where passengers will be asked to disembark, the train will then be taken out of service and go to a depot.
Passengers will wait for a following service to pick them up.

It is a depressing fact of life that this sort of event is common. The railway companies have well rehearsed plans and procedures to deal with it.

Vectorspace

In my experience, a relief driver will come to take over driving of the train to the next staffed station where passengers will be asked to disembark, the train will then be taken out of service and go to a depot.
Passengers will wait for a following service to pick them up.
Thanks for the info, most appreciated

Police have boarded the train and provided an update. It was this train that hit the person, relief driver is on the way.

The train is to be moved to Wembley so the passengers can disembark

Last edited:

ungreat

So so sorry for the driver and the poor soul who thought that it was time to go.
Ive had 4 under in my 35 years driving..its never easy. Awful time

apinnard

It’s been a bit of a weekend for it the South East and London area :( I got stuck in the ensuing problems on the ECML after last night’s jumper at Stevenage.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Looking on Traksy, the Up line appears to have now reopened. First train through being 1Y57 (1911 Oxford to Marylebone, which was due into Marylebone at 2039). Nothing's departed Marylebone yet, however.

Jimini

Established Member
We don't really do these sorts of threads on RUK any more (and rightly so, IMO), but it's a solid observation in the posts above -- too many instances like this in the past couple of weeks :frown:

dk1

Veteran Member
If I was a driver, and it happened to me, I'm not sure I could ever get back in the cab.
It’s unfortunately part of the job. As it’s your career there’s not a lot you can do. Thankfully there’s huge support & no pressure whatsoever in getting back to it.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
It’s been a bit of a weekend for it the South East and London area :( I got stuck in the ensuing problems on the ECML after last night’s jumper at Stevenage.
The incident in this thread has been going on at the same time as another on the SWR lines through Staines, on which all Waterloo trains had already been diverting over due to works on the mainline.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
OK everyone. Forum policy is that we don’t try and draw too much attention to things like this and hopefully you’ll understand why we’ve taken that decision…
It’s awful but we’re going to have to leave it there at this point.
Thoughts to everyone involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.