• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Man Has Arm Amputated After Falling At Perth Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NightatLaira

How did the train run him over if he slipped down when attempting to board? Who would give the driver the RA in a situation like this?

The doors have to close
The conductor has to give the buzz-buzz
The platform despatch have to give the white light
The signal has to be green
The driver has to move

That's a lot of safety-nets this poor individual has gone through!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
How did the train run him over if he slipped down when attempting to board?

You assume that he was attempting to board whilst the train doors were open. What's to say that he didn't attempt to do so after the RA had been given? He could have run up to the door and pressed the button as the train was accelerating away (I've seen people do it) slipped and fell. You just don't know from the media report.

I will await the report into this incident with interest.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
What did I say about lets not speculate?

Incidents like this happen and very soon you get people jumping to the conclusion that it's either the railways fault or the persons fault, when in reality we haven't got a clue either way. It's pretty disrespectful to those involved to be accusing them of things without knowing the facts.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Incidents like this happen and very soon you get people jumping to the conclusion that it's either the railways fault or the persons fault, when in reality we haven't got a clue either way. It's pretty disrespectful to those involved to be accusing them of things without knowing the facts.

I totally agree with you on this matter.

es373

How did the train run him over if he slipped down when attempting to board? Who would give the driver the RA in a situation like this?

The doors have to close
The signal has to be green
The driver has to move

That's a lot of safety-nets this poor individual has gone through!

Not at all - none of your "safety nets" include visually checking the gap between the train and the platform.

It takes 2 seconds for someone to slip between the train and the platform, Guard could have been answering questions or simply had his head turned the wrong way.
Above all, with the general ambient noise within any given station especially if its running DMU's you really wouldn't hear someone shouting for help.
I also don't see anything in the article saying that the 21-year old was not intoxicated.

Speculation like this isn't really something to be wanted in my opinion. If you want to know more on the matter why don't you contact the ToC and request further information under the FoI act?

bnm

Established Member
Speculation like this isn't really something to be wanted in my opinion. If you want to know more on the matter why don't you contact the ToC and request further information under the FoI act?

Who will tell you that the matter is being investigated by authorities such as the police and/or RAIB and no statements will be made until those investigations are complete.

Last edited:

FGWman

The doors have to close

Not quite

The platform despatch give the white light
The conductor then gives the buzz buzz

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
If you want to know more on the matter why don't you contact the ToC and request further information under the FoI act?

That would be utterly fruitless; as any fule kno, the FOI Act applies only to public bodies, or wholly-public owned subsidiaries.

If I had a penny...

Does Perth have Platform Despatchers? they do for any "big" trains coming in, but I can't remember seeing them too frequently at Perth, or for that matter anywhere in Scotland, except for Termini and Haymarket (and Stirling maybe too)

mallard

Established Member
That would be utterly fruitless; as any fule kno, the FOI Act applies only to public bodies, or wholly-public owned subsidiaries.

If I had a penny...

No, but "public bodies" under the FOIA is much broader than that. The list is available here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/36/schedule/1

Many private businesses and individuals are covered, as are many semi-public charities, etc. (look at the list at the end!)

But yes, TOCs (except DOR East Coast) aren't covered and for some inexplicable reason, neither is the wholly government-owned Network Rail. (I assume as part of the "it's not nationalised, honest!" policy.)

Scotrail84

Established Member
There seem to be a few judges on here who would hang people before they had finished the oath!! Lets wait for the official report before fingers are pointed please.

mallard

Established Member
There seem to be a few judges on here who would hang people before they had finished the oath!! Lets wait for the official report before fingers are pointed please.

Ey? I can't see a single post in this thread attributing blame to anyone. In fact, it's usually the case that the "don't blame anyone, particularly not the staff" posts show up well before and in much greater numbers than any posts that suggest responsibility.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Ey? I can't see a single post in this thread attributing blame to anyone. In fact, it's usually the case that the "don't blame anyone, particularly not the staff" posts show up well before and in much greater numbers than any posts that suggest responsibility.

Scotrail84's post may have been as much about accusing the victim of being responsible as the railway or its members of staff.

Nobody has dared to suggest either as far as I can see, but I just see the post as a warning nott o apportion blame to anyone without knowing the facts, and to await the investigation and report, as others have suggested.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Scotrail84's post may have been as much about accusing the victim of being responsible as the railway or its members of staff.

Nobody has dared to suggest either as far as I can see, but I just see the post as a warning nott o apportion blame to anyone without knowing the facts, and to await the investigation and report, as others have suggested.

Yes. There have been threads in the past where fingers have been pointed immediately towards staff and its turned into a staff bash thread or a slagging match. I wasnt saying there are any out of order posts in this new thread i was saying that its better to wait on the official word rather than make up or invent what happened.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
It's just as bad to point the fingers towards the vitims too until we know the facts.

The reason I lept in straight away was because I've seen so often hoe quickly it can degenerate. Scotrail84 is right about how it can quickly turn to staff bashing, and at the same time between staff and others leaping to the defense, plus those automatically pointing fingers at passengers or none rail parties involved, passenger or victim bashing can start up too, and before long it becomes an all out war and a mess. Once things get to a certain point even those who are normally reasonable and balenced can start saying things they would not normally say, and it can soon get into dangerous terratory.

NightatLaira

Nobody has dared to suggest either as far as I can see, but I just see the post as a warning not to apportion blame to anyone without knowing the facts, and to await the investigation and report, as others have suggested.

I agree, and I don't really see how my earlier post could be read as accusing the staff of cack-handedness... I was just highlighting at how unusual this circumstance was considering the many safety nets there are to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

glenbogle

You assume that he was attempting to board whilst the train doors were open. What's to say that he didn't attempt to do so after the RA had been given? He could have run up to the door and pressed the button as the train was accelerating away (I've seen people do it) slipped and fell. You just don't know from the media report.

I will await the report into this incident with interest.

Correct.

Scotrail84

Established Member
I agree, and I don't really see how my earlier post could be read as accusing the staff of cack-handedness... I was just highlighting at how unusual this circumstance was considering the many safety nets there are to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

I happen to be cack-handed as you put it. Nowt wrong with being a South Paw;):D:lol:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator

It wasn't. It was asking the perfectly natural questions that are raised by rational human beings when an accident like this happens.

However it's unlikely that anyone on here will have the answers, and speculation does no one any good. We have investigations and reports in order to answer the questions you raised.

matchmaker

Established Member
To show the standard of the reporting here is a quote from the BBC website:

"He took the train back to Buckie after missing his bus home." :roll:

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Someone will be along soon to blame it on the Tories. :D

Either that or privatisation (so basically the Tories). Either that or since it's in Scotland, clearly it must be the English at fault (English train afterall).

Any one with a brain though will realise that the fault lies with Immigrants and Nu Liebour for letting them all in.

blacknight

Having read National Rail for Perth station it is shown as only having part time ticket office, so at time of accident platforms would be unmanned.
Looks a large station to be unstaff so any enquiry should be looking into this & calling for the restaffing of station platforms.

Last edited:

glenbogle

To show the standard of the reporting here is a quote from the BBC website:

"He took the train back to Buckie after missing his bus home." :roll:

What that means is he missed his supporters bus back home. His name has been released it's Garry Geddes according to my local paper. He was a Rangers fan at the Rangers v Aberdeen match.

From his facebook page which is not on privacy.

Garry Geddes
Ats me missed ma bus bak tae buckie. Safe tae say am missing a 7.30am start for work in the morning. Garry Gizz, Stevie Butcher and Big Daniel drammimmg it rite up.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Having read National Rail for Perth station it is shown as only having part time ticket office, so at time of accident platforms would be unmanned.
Looks a large station to be unstaff so any enquiry should be looking into this & calling for the restaffing of station platforms.

Perth Travel Centre closes around 8pm on a Sunday, station staffed til 01:00

Last edited:

ChrisCooper

Established Member
We going to be trying to find the guard and driver's names too to see if we can dig anything on them? Only fair isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.