• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
According to RTT there has been a person hit by a train somewhere in the Warrington area, with trains diverted between Crewe and Golborne Jn via Manchester.

Well that diversionary route came in handy earlier than expected!

DJH1971

Established Member
Yesterday, I saw yet more OHL steelwork in place near St Helens Central close to Chalon Way now visible from the road under the rail bridge.

Any news of progress east of Bryn yet?

LDECRexile

Established Member
I do a tour approx monthly, I happened to do one yesterday. I arm myself with a notepad and pencil and log masts, bases and "scrapes" which can be anything from just that to substantial holes. I am prone to error when traffic passes the other way, my ticket is checked or I confuse a scrape with a base because it has a tarpaulin over it, but I hope this table is close enough to give the gist of progress.

I also "did" Huyton to Earlestown and back, but, unfortunately I don't have any 8th Jan data because on that trip I went from Wigan NW to Oxford Rd via Chat Moss, so I only logged mbs on one side of the track in fast fading light. That caveat apart, I would be confident that the tremendous progress shown on this table between Bryn and Wigan is replicated east of Lea Green and especially east of St Helens Jct.

Please note that mbs in stations themselves are not shown, there are some whoppers.

Huyton to Wigan NW 08/01/14 29/01/14
Huyton to Prescot
Masts 58 58
Bases 2 3
Scrapes 2 1
Prescot to Eccleston Park
Masts 40 44
Bases 3 3
Scrapes 1 0
Eccleston Park to Thatto Heath
Masts 19 19
Bases 4 5
Scrapes 2 1
Thatto Heath to St Helens Central
Masts 51 71
Bases 21 7
Scrapes 0 1
St Helens Central to Garswood
Masts 116 127
Bases 50 42
Scrapes 15 16
Garswood to Bryn
Masts 37 46
Bases 10 7
Scrapes 6 8
Bryn to Wigan N Western
Masts 32 32
Bases 7 51
Scrapes 45 10

I also spent some time at Wigan NW, Earlestown, Huyton and Roby. Wigan was very interesting in a trainspotting way. 350 403 working south being my high point, with 401 running north ECS.

At Earlestown the new signal WN551 and the associated OFF indicator on Platform 3 are working, but the new point connecting main to loop (hope that's the right term) is still on the disused south-to-west platform. There are no mbs east of Five Arches Bridge.

At Huyton the platform 4 lift shaft is cast and set. The platform 2/3 shaft is not yet cast, but is plainly visible as a square of piles. Platform 1 shaft was obscured by spoil, but is clearly well on.

Platform edges are starting to appear, with No 4 looking the most advanced to my lay eyes. I spoke with a very amiable workman who said the rain is a pain but that overall the job is well on target and within budget.

An isolated length of track and a length of sleepers have been put in position on what will be the third line, roughly half way between Roby and Huyton, most easily viewed from the overbridge at Roby. A second isolated length of track and length of sleepers have been put in position west of the bridge at Roby, between Roby station and Roby Junction-to-be.

The subway has been open under all four tracks (strictly, two tracks and two tracks-to-be) for a while. A lot of activity was taking place on the lift shafts which are being built without interfering with pedestrians. Presumably when they are ready the wall between subway and shafts will be opened up.

Once again I spoke to a very pleasant worker who said the job is well up to speed. I asked him why the awning is propped up, he said that is because the work they are doing to excavate the lift shaft in the station building involves removing counterbalancing walls and ceilings, so if they didn't prop the awning up it would topple onto the tracks. When the job is done they will reinstate balance and remove the props. I had wondered if the props were because a problem had occurred, it appears not so - it is a Cunning Plan.

Platform edges are starting to take shape extending beyond the present platform 2 eastwards towards Huyton.

The Edge Hill to Earlestown mbs work seems to be following a different trajectory from the Wigan branch and Chat Moss before it. On those two mbs all appeared at different times. On EH to Earlestown there are no new masts in place at all. The approach is "bases first". There is a lot of steelwork stockpiled at Edge Hill.

Personally, I'm more disquieted about rolling stock than track and wires. I hope someone is going to pull a rabbit from a hat.

DJH1971

Established Member
I do a tour approx monthly, I happened to do one yesterday. I arm myself with a notepad and pencil and log masts, bases and "scrapes" which can be anything from just that to substantial holes. I am prone to error when traffic passes the other way, my ticket is checked or I confuse a scrape with a base because it has a tarpaulin over it, but I hope this table is close enough to give the gist of progress.

I also "did" Huyton to Earlestown and back, but, unfortunately I don't have any 8th Jan data because on that trip I went from Wigan NW to Oxford Rd via Chat Moss, so I only logged mbs on one side of the track in fast fading light. That caveat apart, I would be confident that the tremendous progress shown on this table between Bryn and Wigan is replicated east of Lea Green and especially east of St Helens Jct.

Please note that mbs in stations themselves are not shown, there are some whoppers.

Huyton to Wigan NW 08/01/14 29/01/14
Huyton to Prescot
Masts 58 58
Bases 2 3
Scrapes 2 1
Prescot to Eccleston Park
Masts 40 44
Bases 3 3
Scrapes 1 0
Eccleston Park to Thatto Heath
Masts 19 19
Bases 4 5
Scrapes 2 1
Thatto Heath to St Helens Central
Masts 51 71
Bases 21 7
Scrapes 0 1
St Helens Central to Garswood
Masts 116 127
Bases 50 42
Scrapes 15 16
Garswood to Bryn
Masts 37 46
Bases 10 7
Scrapes 6 8
Bryn to Wigan N Western
Masts 32 32
Bases 7 51
Scrapes 45 10

I also spent some time at Wigan NW, Earlestown, Huyton and Roby. Wigan was very interesting in a trainspotting way. 350 403 working south being my high point, with 401 running north ECS.

At Earlestown the new signal WN551 and the associated OFF indicator on Platform 3 are working, but the new point connecting main to loop (hope that's the right term) is still on the disused south-to-west platform. There are no mbs east of Five Arches Bridge.

At Huyton the platform 4 lift shaft is cast and set. The platform 2/3 shaft is not yet cast, but is plainly visible as a square of piles. Platform 1 shaft was obscured by spoil, but is clearly well on.

Platform edges are starting to appear, with No 4 looking the most advanced to my lay eyes. I spoke with a very amiable workman who said the rain is a pain but that overall the job is well on target and within budget.

An isolated length of track and a length of sleepers have been put in position on what will be the third line, roughly half way between Roby and Huyton, most easily viewed from the overbridge at Roby. A second isolated length of track and length of sleepers have been put in position west of the bridge at Roby, between Roby station and Roby Junction-to-be.

The subway has been open under all four tracks (strictly, two tracks and two tracks-to-be) for a while. A lot of activity was taking place on the lift shafts which are being built without interfering with pedestrians. Presumably when they are ready the wall between subway and shafts will be opened up.

Once again I spoke to a very pleasant worker who said the job is well up to speed. I asked him why the awning is propped up, he said that is because the work they are doing to excavate the lift shaft in the station building involves removing counterbalancing walls and ceilings, so if they didn't prop the awning up it would topple onto the tracks. When the job is done they will reinstate balance and remove the props. I had wondered if the props were because a problem had occurred, it appears not so - it is a Cunning Plan.

Platform edges are starting to take shape extending beyond the present platform 2 eastwards towards Huyton.

The Edge Hill to Earlestown mbs work seems to be following a different trajectory from the Wigan branch and Chat Moss before it. On those two mbs all appeared at different times. On EH to Earlestown there are no new masts in place at all. The approach is "bases first". There is a lot of steelwork stockpiled at Edge Hill.

Personally, I'm more disquieted about rolling stock than track and wires. I hope someone is going to pull a rabbit from a hat.

Just that it's now 11 months and counting! :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've just had word that mast bases are now in place between Ince Moss Junction and Bamfurlong Junction.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've just had word tonight that some masts are in in place to both the west and east of Broad Green. 8-)

Last edited:

AE

Last weekend I noticed that there were finished mast bases from Ince Moss Junction all the way to Bryn. There were no bases between Ince Moss Junction and Springs Branch Junction but there were signs of activity at the trackside. The gaps between Bryn and Garswood were still there though.

DJH1971

Established Member
Last weekend I noticed that there were finished mast bases from Ince Moss Junction all the way to Bryn. There were no bases between Ince Moss Junction and Springs Branch Junction but there were signs of activity at the trackside. The gaps between Bryn and Garswood were still there though.

Maybe things are picking up a bit again, especially after today's report of masts now in place around the Broad Green area.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Click on this link for images taken Sunday, 2nd February from Church Road Bridge, Roby - https://picasaweb.google.com/104517932653927762904/LMElectrificationWorkMerseyside2014 That will give you current state of progress in this area.

Thanks. Those pictures, with the large excavated area to the north of the platforms, actually look more suggestive of 4-tracking than electrification :), though I don't doubt there is electrification going on. Do I take it that the excavated area is where the two new tracks will be going?

8A Rail

Established Member
Thanks. Those pictures, with the large excavated area to the north of the platforms, actually look more suggestive of 4-tracking than electrification :), though I don't doubt there is electrification going on. Do I take it that the excavated area is where the two new tracks will be going?
Yes is the simple answer, although some of the third track is already in place has have you have noted. Remember, it was four track anyway prior to the 1980's. I reckon they are going to get the trackbed / rails in place before any electrification work will take place.

DJH1971

Established Member

snowball

Established Member
Thanks. Those pictures, with the large excavated area to the north of the platforms, actually look more suggestive of 4-tracking than electrification :), though I don't doubt there is electrification going on.

Originally the third track was part of the electrification project and the fourth track was part of the Northern Hub (to come later), but now both are being done at the same time, except for a section where the fourth track requires land purchase.

8A Rail

Established Member
Originally the third track was part of the electrification project and the fourth track was part of the Northern Hub (to come later), but now both are being done at the same time, except for a section where the fourth track requires land purchase.
That makes more sense to be honest and basically the section between the two stations wil have all the track in situation - all saves money and extra time at a later date.

Someone mentioned that the masts had been erected either side of Broadgreen station but actually with the exception of 2/3 masts - all the masts have been erected between Wavertree Technology Park and Broadgreen Stations includng some east of the latter station - in other words completely through Olive Mount Cutting. The 2/3 masts that are missing are adjecent to the freight line at Olive Mount Junction. Later on I will add to more images to my "Picasa" photo site to show what progress has been made (link in a previous message).

Six more images now added from today, see:- https://picasaweb.google.com/104517932653927762904/LMElectrificationWorkMerseyside2014

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Mast bases are now pretty much complete east from Rainhill to the western end of Sankey Brook Viaduct, at least on the Up.
The run of bases now goes west from Rainhill to Huyton Quarry, although there are gaps west of Whiston.

It was my first tour since Christmas, and the progress is very striking.
Mast bases also run as far as Ince Moss Jn, but nothing yet from there to Springs Branch.

A lot of steelwork has gone up in the past month, notably in Olive Mount cutting, but most of it is of the lattice cantilever type and the horizontal sections have still to be done.

The Ordsall Lane-Salford Central section has all its steelwork, and work on the "pancake" bases continues between Salford Central and Victoria.
Lots of steelwork is lying on the ground in the angle between the LNWR and L&Y lines west of Salford Central.

The Balfour Beatty wiring train was parked up at Edge Hill and appeared to be loaded with contact wire, so maybe wiring the St Helens branch is due to start soon.
There are something like a dozen bases without masts between Huyton Jn and St Helens Central, and the cutting at Thatto Heath still needs doing.
There's still lots of station work to do (eg at Rainhill and Whiston), and the best part of 2 miles west of Earlestown is so far untouched.

Last edited:

Geeves

Established Member
Its the same as the story as the woman living near Rainhill, who claimed her life was ruined because she awoke one day to find a stanchion post at the bottom of her garden :roll::roll::roll:. The OHLE and the leaking gas main is hilarious! As far as I know the only overheads down south have either been there since the 30s out of Liverpool Street and those things are seriously monstrous or out of Euston which are equally brutal, unless she means the 3rd rail... Very unobtrusive but will fry Doris's little cat in seconds!

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Its the same as the story as the woman living near Rainhill, who claimed her life was ruined because she awoke one day to find a stanchion post at the bottom of her garden :roll::roll::roll:.

Another unwelcome feature to come will be the installation of metal security fencing along the route.
This has gone up on the Phase 1 section and is continuous even over totally rural Chat Moss.
Some of it is a nice shade of green but most is the same colour as the OHLE masts.
The "degreening" of the route is also very noticeable, especially in cuttings like Olive Mount which had become a virtual nature reserve.

Jonny

Established Member
Have there ever been any cases where a nearby gas leak has been ignited by a railway AC current system ?

I'm not sure, but I know of one overhead line location that has had a couple of gas leaks on an overbridge but no explosion. I thought it was due to the nearby neutral section covering it, but it turns out to be not in a neutral section. The only case I know of is the Ladbroke Grove (1999 "Paddingon Crash") incident where it took a HST tank of fuel and a derailed train... so some weak gas leak very probably wouldn't do it.

The odds are somewhere in the millions to billions to one... for the entire british railway network, ever. I think it is NIMBY hype...

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Have there ever been any cases where a nearby gas leak has been ignited by a railway AC current system ?

Not that I have heard of. But there are countless examples of major gas leaks leading to the power being switched off as a precaution.

snowball

Established Member
As far as I know the only overheads down south have either been there since the 30s out of Liverpool Street and those things are seriously monstrous or out of Euston which are equally brutal,

Depending on where you think the south starts, there's been overhead electrification since the 30s to Cambridge (2 routes), King's Lynn, Bedford, southern part of ECML, HS1, Heathrow, ...

Last edited:

8A Rail

Established Member
Another unwelcome feature to come will be the installation of metal security fencing along the route.
This has gone up on the Phase 1 section and is continuous even over totally rural Chat Moss.
Some of it is a nice shade of green but most is the same colour as the OHLE masts.
The "degreening" of the route is also very noticeable, especially in cuttings like Olive Mount which had become a virtual nature reserve.
Pallisade fencing is already in place on the north side at Rainhill Farm Fields and certainly on both sides at the site of old Lea Green Station too. To be very honest, not sure it is really necessary as the line has survived without any problems for 186 years!!! Bottom line, a sheer waste of money and unslightly too - grey pallisade fencing in the countryside - you think NR would at least blend into the surrounding locations. :roll:<D

transmanche

Established Member
To be very honest, not sure it is really necessary as the line has survived without any problems for 186 years!!!
But it hasn't been electrified for 186 years...

And the neighbours will be most annoyed if their little Johnny trespasses onto the railway and is electrocuted...

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
And the neighbours will be most annoyed if their little Johnny trespasses onto the railway and is electrocuted...

Surely you meant to say:
And the neighbours will sue the arse off Network Rail when their little Johnny finally manages to rip the fence apart, trespasses onto the railway, throws bricks at trains and is then electrocuted climbing on top of a train ...

Status
Not open for further replies.