• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink....a query on a former Oldham loop line station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
When Newton Heath and Moston stop was built on the site of the former Dean Lane station, only one platform was completed with a single Metrolink line similar to that at Navigation Road, as the other track was used for the heavy rail waste compaction container trains at the nearby refuse compaction depot.

I believe that refuse depot is now closed and if so, are there any plans to construct a second platform at Newton Heath and Moston to enable normal two line running in place of the existing line operation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kevconnor

There are two depots at Reliance street for commercial and non-commercial waste. The commercial waste site is the one which is temporarily closed, I am guessing this is the one which uses the rail siding.

The non-commercial recycling centre is still open but, like other recycling centres locally such as Middleton, I am guessing uses road access only.

AndyB28

When Newton Heath and Moston stop was built on the site of the former Dean Lane station, only one platform was completed with a single Metrolink line similar to that at Navigation Road, as the other track was used for the heavy rail waste compaction container trains at the nearby refuse compaction depot.

I believe that refuse depot is now closed and if so, are there any plans to construct a second platform at Newton Heath and Moston to enable normal two line running in place of the existing line operation.
This was going to be my question but you've beaten me to it. Certainly coming past this morning there's practically nothing left of the Viridor waste transfer plant. I had a look on both the Viridor and council web-sites a few days back and could see no mention of the plant so I've no idea if they're planning to build a new plant on the site or if it's being permanently closed.

martin2345uk

Established Member
It’s not being permanently closed, it’s being rebuilt and is planned to reopen with rail terminal intact.

507 001

Established Member
It’s not being permanently closed, it’s being rebuilt and is planned to reopen with rail terminal intact.

Indeed.

The bulldozers moving in got a lot of driver’s hopes up as that single line section has always been a right PITA.

AndyB28

Ah! Thanks for the update. Must admit I'd have been sorry to see it go. Noting which 66 is on the waste train helps to break up the journey a bit...

Status
Not open for further replies.