• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink and Mayfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

umontu

This has bothered me for a while.

If Manchester Mayfield was reopened as part of HS2 how would you best connect it and the Metrolink network or stop under Piccadilly?

I feel it's slightly too far, awkwardly complex and potentially congested to make passengers walk through a walkway between Mayfield and Piccadilly. And to that Mayfield would best served by its own stop.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
Wouldnt really work, the line to Piccadilly now continues on eastwards it couldnt be altered to go south to serve Mayfield.

If the station site was used (and I dont believe it will be) I forsee them just beefing up the current bridge to platform 13 and 14 (and soon 15 and 16) and extending it across the road.

Nym

Established Member
Said it before and I'll say it again, Additional entrances on Fairfeild St and a walkway from Costa on the main piccadilly concourse, direct out across Fairfeild St to 13 - 16 and Mayfeild.

Although that won't happen until either the 15-16 development (the're improving acsess with that) or HS2 being plonked in the middle of Baring St. Ind. Est.

Established Member
Was a consideration for a Metrolink line along the A6 in the original plan, with a stop at Ardwick Green enroute to Longsight and Levenshulme. Always wondered how that would fit in at Piccadilly how the alignment would leave the undercroft from the Stockport (the east) end of Piccadilly. It is still BRB Residuary I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.