• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink | Reliability/resiliency of comms and contingency in failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
It seems to be getting more regular that we hear of comms faults on Metrolink, often leading to suspension of the entire network. It must be at least 3 times this year so far that such an incident has happened whereby the whole network ends up affected, in some cases for hours at a time. Whilst I appreciate the system appears failsafe, insomuch as no comms = no movements, I would have expected a modern system to have higher resiliency in not grounding what is a large network.

The most recent incident was on Saturday (which I believe was a combination of a failed tram in the city centre coupled with a comms failure) which I ended up in the middle of.

With family, we were travelling from Whitefield into the city heading for Manchester Arena. We arrived at Whitefield at around 18:30 and a tram arrived as we walked onto the platform - single and fairly well loaded, but with the boards saying a couple of minutes to the next, a double, we didn't rush too much buying tickets. By the time we had bought the tickets, the single tram was stil sat there, with a green signal ahead. I actually passed comment to my family that such a wait was very unusual for Metrolink and suspected either the tram had a fault or there was a comms error - knowing what a comms error meant for this network.
The single eventually left but the next tram didn't arrive for probably 5 minutes, the boards not updating in the meantime, stuck at 1 min throughout. When it did arrive, we left promptly and all went well, until we arrived at Heaton Park, as the driver immediately said we would be waiting a while as there was a comms problem. We waited and waited and there was no update for at least 10 mins - this update was from the driver saying a tram was coming the other way so maybe things were getting back to normal. At this point, I took to the Beta TfGM Travel site which showed all lines suspended! Another tram passed Bury bound, out of service and non stop (in itself a very unusual occurence!)

We eventually gave up on the tram, still no update some half an hour later, and went for a bus having being pointed in the right direction by a fellow passenger - by now it was also raining. As we waited for a bus which also didn't turn up, the TfGM site showed the Bury line was operating again with severe delays so back across the road we went, getting a tram towards 2CC and arriving at the Arena just after the 20:00 event advertised start.

The two things that stood out was again, a comms failure had completed grounded the entire network. It feels like a system should be much more resilient to this but Metrolink keeps proving it isn't, since it isn't an isolated case. Also, in such circumstances, does that also leave the drivers without any information as it seemed I was getting more from the beta travel site whilst the drivers information was based on what may be happening from the tram moving in the other direction? (I did also wonder if that move was authorised because the extreme end of the Bury line works on old signalling and block sections)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
It seems to be getting more regular that we hear of comms faults on Metrolink, often leading to suspension of the entire network. It must be at least 3 times this year so far that such an incident has happened whereby the whole network ends up affected, in some cases for hours at a time.

is 3 times in 11 months 'getting more regular'?

I get that it disrupted your travel plans but systems going down isn't new

Starmill

Veteran Member
The issue was first reported as causing disruption at 1841. Services resumed on all routes as reported at 1937, although obviously there were severe delays for a long time following that. This problem appears to have been more short-lived than the previous two. The thing that seemed to cause the biggest problem was that some of the wide-ranging ticket acceptance which had been organised was then withdrawn around 1950. This could have been down to disruption to national rail services due to a broken down train though.

It's also worth noting that the failed double tram in the Piccadilly Gardens area may not have been coincidence.

The last time this problem occurred, on 22nd July, trams on most routes continued running with no Tram Management System [TMS] at all, which of course meant no information or gibberish information on screens at stops, no radio and manual confirmation of routes across points and clear to proceed at other junctions. In areas where there are Urban Traffic Controllers [UTC] these should still work, although they may not have the same priorities as when "online". Doing this only led to the service having to be completely suspended again later in the day, as there is simply no way to recover from delays or disseminate information to customers. Of course, trams cannot yet be driven by line of sight on the Bury line so it would probably not have helped you much.

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
is 3 times in 11 months 'getting more regular'?

I get that it disrupted your travel plans but systems going down isn't new

Well, prior to this year I can't recall hear of it happening at all, so by that means yes.

The long and short, in my opinion, is that either these things shouldn't be enough to ground an entire system, should they happen at all (coming from an IT background, so far as I am concerned, there is not enough resiliency in the system). Also the lack of information it led to - over half an hour of the driver either giving no info, or guessing, is unhelpful

It seems quite telling that my gut instinct, at hearing from the driver of the comms error, was "great, the entire system is likely stopped" - this turned out to be true and really should not have been

Starmill

Veteran Member
The first time this particular type of fault happened was 14th May. It also happened on 22nd July and of course 25th November. Communications failures have happened numerous times before, but they have been attributed to specific things like local issues, failed infrastructure or in a couple of very high profile cases, cables accidentally severed by construction workers - this last had a particularly debilitating effect as repairing underground cables took a long time.

Following the 14th May incident the blame was attributed to a faulty component within the control room itself. If this was really what caused it or not I have no idea, and I don't think many people do. Other suggested root causes have been software issues, inadequately maintained infrastructure and an excess of tram movements over the system's theoretical maximum capacity. Nobody knows which if any of these things are actually to blame, because the real answer (probably more complex than I could begin to guess at) will be buried underneath a contractual dispute between TfGM, KAM (KeolisAmey Metrolink), the concession holders and Thales, the contractors who installed the equipment.

Crossover

Established Member
The issue was first reported as causing disruption at 1841. Services resumed on all routes as reported at 1937, although obviously there were severe delays for a long time following that. This problem appears to have been more short-lived than the previous two. The thing that seemed to cause the biggest problem was that some of the wide-ranging ticket acceptance which had been organised was then withdrawn around 1950. This could have been down to disruption to national rail services due to a broken down train though.

It's also worth noting that the failed double tram in the Piccadilly Gardens area may not have been coincidence.

We boarded a tram around 1940 and the travel site still showed some lines as on full suspension at that point in time - it may have been that by 2000 it was just MCUK/Eccles showing as such, I can't recall for sure, but that line was certainly the last to go to just severe delays. In reality severe delays probably doesn't mean too much on what is a most "turn up and go" service other than possibly longer service gaps - indeed the tram to Exchange Square we caught may have been 30 minutes late by timetable but for us, didn't make the blindest bit of difference - the board said due in 2 mins, and it arrived at that time so job done

I do believe the tram failure may have been unconnected and just bad timing, it all happening together

One thing is for sure - I bet they wish Victoria was up and running fully (though at least the signals appear to be lit now)!

Crossover

Established Member
The first time this particular type of fault happened was 14th May. It also happened on 22nd July and of course 25th November. Communications failures have happened numerous times before, but they have been attributed to specific things like local issues, failed infrastructure or in a couple of very high profile cases, cables accidentally severed by construction workers - this last had a particularly debilitating effect as repairing underground cables took a long time.

Following the 14th May incident the blame was attributed to a faulty component within the control room itself. If this was really what caused it or not I have no idea, and I don't think many people do. The real answer will be buried underneath a contractual dispute between TfGM, KAM (KeolisAmey Metrolink), the concession holders and Thales, the contractors who installed the equipment.

Thanks @Starmill - it would suggest that such widescale failures have gotten more regular - 3 times in what is actually only 6 months (let alone this year) is pretty damning I would say!

Status
Not open for further replies.