• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

plugwash

Established Member
I'm only an occasional user of the metrolink, but I got the impression that in the early years they very much downplayed it's "tram" status, whereas in more recent years they have come to embrace it.

Possibly it also reflects changes in the network itself. The original metrolink, route was kept mostly seperate from cars. :some of the later lines have portions that are far more like a traditional tramway.

507 001

Established Member
Apropos the emergency service changes there certainly were some very severe speed limits in places - the lowest seemed to be 5 (?mph?). This was Friday 12th and Saturday 13th.

The lowest is actually 4mph at Deansgate Castlefield.

Will the name "Manchester Metrolink" eventually vanish and be replaced by some "Bee" new title? I for one hope no change will be made.

We don’t actually know yet. Nothing official anyway.

Greybeard33

Established Member
I'm only an occasional user of the metrolink, but I got the impression that in the early years they very much downplayed it's "tram" status, whereas in more recent years they have come to embrace it.

Possibly it also reflects changes in the network itself. The original metrolink, route was kept mostly seperate from cars. :some of the later lines have portions that are far more like a traditional tramway.
The original promoters of Metrolink in the late 1980s were at pains to emphasise that it was a light rail system running mainly on segregated alignments, quite different from the first generation street running tram network in Greater Manchester. At that time older residents could still remember the first generation trams, in their final years, as being old fashioned, slow, noisy, bumpy and rattly before they were replaced by more modern rubber tyred trolleybuses and motorbuses. Therefore the word "tram" was avoided because of its negative connotations.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Many Manchester residents would also have been familiar with Blackpool, which at the time was running a mixture of relics from the 1930s largely unmodified since, and relics from the 1930s re-built as 1970s tat.

TacoTraveller

It might also be to with crowd management too. Deansgate Castlefield can be a very busy station, where as Cornbrook is traditionally only an interexchange. I suspect with all the new apartments being built further and further down down Chester Road the station will become quite popular in its own right though.
It could be a variety of things, they used to begin at cornbrook and some disruptions they revert back to turning back there.

Also it's an island platform so it's just hop on/hop off rather than hop off and change platforms which seems to confuse some people.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Going back to the name, I was in Manchester this morning at an old-established jewellers and on one of the tram stops where I changed, there was a PID that at the bottom of the display screen under the tram times had a rolling information line and on this one message referred to the "Metrolink network", so that name must still be officially recognised by the powers-that-be. In Wythenshawe Interchange in the bus station, there are many screens and one in particular shows tram times and at the top left-hand corner of the screen is the word "Metrolink"

edwin_m

Veteran Member
When was that taken? October 2023?
That's what it says at the bottom.

I believe metrolink.co.uk used to be a separate site, but it now redirects to tfgm.com. There is a link to "Metrolink Engineering Works" but that may be one they missed, as all the other references I can see on a quick look are to "tram".

Lewisham2221

Established Member
That's what it says at the bottom.

I believe metrolink.co.uk used to be a separate site, but it now redirects to tfgm.com. There is a link to "Metrolink Engineering Works" but that may be one they missed, as all the other references I can see on a quick look are to "tram".
And the tram page then goes on to have both Tram and Metrolink as headings

Greybeard33

Established Member
The home page of the TfGM Bee Network website refers to Metrolink trams.

Metrolink trams and local rail services​

What does the Bee Network mean for tram services?​

With 99 stops and a network of lines across Greater Manchester, our fully accessible Metrolink tram system is a key part of the Bee Network.
We’re not making major changes to tram services for now.
But tram passengers benefit from other Bee Network improvements like the new Bee Network app and website, and the new Bee AnyBus + Tram travelcards.
We want to make it easier to get where you’re going. So the new Bee Network bus services will be planned to link up with Metrolink, local rail and the cycling and walking network.

507 001

Established Member
It is very much still Metrolink. Nothing has changed and nothing has been communicated about future plans for the brand.

Class 466

Established Member
I remember them originally saying Metrolink would be fully integrated into the Bee Network in 2025. However now it’s impossible to find much, if any reference to that. Regardless a number of the original batch are in a pretty poor condition externally and could do with some TLC now.

Attachments

• IMG_4185.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 44

p2004

Going back to the name, I was in Manchester this morning at an old-established jewellers and on one of the tram stops where I changed, there was a PID that at the bottom of the display screen under the tram times had a rolling information line and on this one message referred to the "Metrolink network", so that name must still be officially recognised by the powers-that-be. In Wythenshawe Interchange in the bus station, there are many screens and one in particular shows tram times and at the top left-hand corner of the screen is the word "Metrolink"
A similar screen exists in Altrincham Interchange - or rather, technically 2 screens on either side of a metal stand. On the left half of the board, it shows 3 pages of the next bus departures; on the right, it's split further into quarters, one quarter showing the National Rail times, and the other showing tram times. That screen, as of whenever I last saw it, also explicitly refers to the trams as Metrolink.
Though I guess that makes sense, since the 2 stations are practically identical.

Welshman

Established Member

Temporary service changes: Tuesday 16 to Sunday 21 January​

Victoria track repairs and planned works​

Due to a cracked rail on the approach to Victoria station, there will be a temporary service change to the tram network from the start of service on Tuesday 16 January.
Until the end of service on Friday 19 January, Altrincham-Bury and Manchester Airport-Victoria services will operate via Exchange Square and will not stop at Shudehill or Market Street.
In addition to the above service change, there are planned works due to take place across the network on Sunday 21 January.
  • Additional works will take place at Victoria on Saturday 20 January and Sunday 21 January, requiring trams across the network to operate different service patterns. NO trams through Victoria - Market Street/ Exchange Sq. These are detailed below.
  • The network-wide shutdown and Ashton line engineering works on Sunday 21 January will still take place as planned.
  • From start of service on Monday 22 January, most tram services will return to normal except for East Didsbury and Rochdale trams which will not call at Exchange Square until further notice. Both the East Didsbury-Rochdale Town Centre and East Didsbury-Shaw and Crompton services will operate via Market Street, Shudehill and Victoria.
Full details at https://tfgm.com/temporary-service-changes (page will change as days progress)

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I am wondering why the line through Exchange Square is still not in use.
I was in Manchester yesterday [30th January], and found East Didsbury & Rochdale trams still diverted via Market St.
Nearly 2 weeks seems to be a long time to repair a cracked rail. Or is there some other reason?

sierraromeo

I commute Radcliffe to St Peter’s Square between 3 and 5 days a week and the timetable change has certainly been noticed by fellow commuters. St Peter’s Square and onwards are very popular destinations to those from the north and while I appreciate we haven’t lost any capacity (because the Piccadilly trams are doubles) but it’s certainly less convenient and the single Altrinchams are absolutely jam packed.

Anyhow some doubles have reappeared now on the Altrinchams, and conversely some singles on some Piccadillys. I wonder if Metrolink have decided to mix up the number doubles and singles on each route?

Danfilm007

Does anyone know the number of the all-over yellow Tram? Saw it yesterday but didn't get the number

jfollows

Established Member
Anyhow some doubles have reappeared now on the Altrinchams, and conversely some singles on some Piccadillys. I wonder if Metrolink have decided to mix up the number doubles and singles on each route?
I had a double on a post-peak (10am) (Altrincham-) Dane Road - Piccadilly this morning.
There appears to be a long slack between Dane Road and Stretford, which is the stretch on which you always used to get bounced to bits at speed, even back in the 1990s when I used it regularly (I lived in Manchester and worked in an office in Sale, I drove to work if I was early enough but I took the tram if I went to work after 09:30).
Also noticeable how congested the system is after what I call Warwick Road station when two other lines join the fray.

jfollows

Established Member
Station hasn't been called that since BR days (end 1991) so 32+ years ago, now? Still too soon? ;)
Burned into my memory from the announcements at Manchester Oxford Road in 1973-1980 on the way home from school; I was catching the train to Piccadilly but I still think of the names from the announcements for the Altrincham line as well as the Crewe stoppers.
But I do know that the names have changed really - it's "Old Trafford, now called Trafford Bar" etc.
I can't undo my programming now!

Tramfan

Does anyone know the number of the all-over yellow Tram? Saw it yesterday but didn't get the number
Unless something else has been properly repainted, tram 3079 had a BEE network wrap applied a few months ago

Class 466

Established Member
Unless something else has been properly repainted, tram 3079 had a BEE network wrap applied a few months ago
That was done to mark the launch of Tranche 1 on the buses (and Bee Network as a thing in general)

Greybeard33

Established Member
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I am wondering why the line through Exchange Square is still not in use.
I was in Manchester yesterday [30th January], and found East Didsbury & Rochdale trams still diverted via Market St.
Nearly 2 weeks seems to be a long time to repair a cracked rail. Or is there some other reason?
The "cracked rail" is actually one of the X-pieces of a bespoke fixed diamond crossing at the turnout south of Victoria. It has temporarily been replaced by plain line, which prevents trams from Victoria turning on to the Exchange Square line.

Presumably TfGM is now waiting for a replacement component to be specially fabricated, which will likely take several weeks.

507 001

Established Member
I commute Radcliffe to St Peter’s Square between 3 and 5 days a week and the timetable change has certainly been noticed by fellow commuters. St Peter’s Square and onwards are very popular destinations to those from the north and while I appreciate we haven’t lost any capacity (because the Piccadilly trams are doubles) but it’s certainly less convenient and the single Altrinchams are absolutely jam packed.

I believe the plan is to go doubles on everything running on the Bury and Altrincham lines. There’s a few obstacles to overcome first though.

I had a double on a post-peak (10am) (Altrincham-) Dane Road - Piccadilly this morning.
There appears to be a long slack between Dane Road and Stretford, which is the stretch on which you always used to get bounced to bits at speed, even back in the 1990s when I used it regularly (I lived in Manchester and worked in an office in Sale, I drove to work if I was early enough but I took the tram if I went to work after 09:30).
Also noticeable how congested the system is after what I call Warwick Road station when two other lines join the fray.

The TSR between Dane Road and Old Trafford has been in place for a number of years.

The track between Dane Road and Stretford on the inbound is a contender for oldest mainline track on the system, dating back to at least the 1970s. (The only definitely older stuff I can think of is Altrincham P1 and 2).

jfollows

Established Member
The TSR between Dane Road and Old Trafford has been in place for a number of years.

The track between Dane Road and Stretford on the inbound is a contender for oldest mainline track on the system, dating back to at least the 1970s. (The only definitely older stuff I can think of is Altrincham P1 and 2).
Thank you - shows how long it's been since I last travelled over that line!
It was grim riding in the 1990s so I'm not surprised.
I stopped working in Sale in 2008, and even then I only went into the office infrequently - too much working from home without seeing colleagues was one reason I resigned even then. Plus even when I did go to Sale I could get a parking place at work and avoid the full tram fare when I went to work at 8am; only when I was lazy and went into work after 09:30 did I use the tram instead.

Welshman

Established Member
The "cracked rail" is actually one of the X-pieces of a bespoke fixed diamond crossing at the turnout south of Victoria. It has temporarily been replaced by plain line, which prevents trams from Victoria turning on to the Exchange Square line.

Presumably TfGM is now waiting for a replacement component to be specially fabricated, which will likely take several weeks.
Really!
Thank you for the explanation.

Tim33160

From the start of service on Monday 12 February, the East Didsbury-Shaw and Crompton service will operate between East Didsbury and Exchange Square only. There will be no peak service between Shaw and Crompton and Exchange Square.
The East Didsbury-Rochdale Town Centre service will continue to operate via Market Street, Shudehill and Victoria, and there will be additional double trams so everyone can make their journey.
This change has been made to reduce congestion in Manchester city centre, journey times and the number of delays across the Metrolink network since the broken rail at Victoria has seen 8 trams every 12 mins using Mosley St in each direction.

https://tfgm.com/temporary-service-changes - scroll down and click on "From 12 Feb" for full details