• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester metrolink

Status
Not open for further replies.

julie

Hi

I am considering buying a house that backs onto to the Manchseter metrolink and a bit concerned about the noise. I have been told that the lines have been replaced a couple of years ago so the noise shouldn't be too bad. To be honest when I was stood in the garden one passing didn't sound much louder than a car going by. Does anyone have experience of living near the metrolink? Any input would be great. Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
It depends a lot on where the house is, what part of the network is it near? If its near a corner particularly the street running in Salford Quays or the city centre you may hear wheel squeel which can be quite loud and annoying. If its in Eccles street running then its straighter and you dont get much wheel squeel but it is like a truck. If its on a straight former heavy rail section its pretty quiet, probably quieter even than a bus.

Established Member
Living next to the west coast mainline in the city centre, after time even if there is noise you stop noticing it. The sections of line that were replace are the off road sections and are now noticably a lot quieter.

route101

Established Member
I stayed at the Trafford Park Hotel back in March 08 and my room back onto trafford bar station and there was very little noise , tho the trams have high pitched horns .

Status
Not open for further replies.