• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Northern Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

laticslad

Hi all

Just had word I’ve passed my medical (pending drug test results - which will be a formality!)

Is anyone starting in the near future for Northern in their Manchester depots?

If so when are your start dates and have they been in touch re lockdown impact (if any) on the training?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tiz

I got a phone call yesterday offering me a start date on the 1 Feb 21 for Manchester Victoria. It's been a long wait but nearly there now

Manda2194

I got a phone call yesterday offering me a start date on the 1 Feb 21 for Manchester Victoria. It's been a long wait but nearly there now
Congratulations mate. Hopefully this is a sign things are moving for Manchester. I applied back in April and heard nothing back yet.

Didnt you originally apply for Blackburn. I didn't make it through the sift on that one.

Tiz

Congratulations mate. Hopefully this is a sign things are moving for Manchester. I applied back in April and heard nothing back yet.

Didnt you originally apply for Blackburn. I didn't make it through the sift on that one.
Yes mate but apparently too many made the standard for Blackburn so I was offered Manchester.

SVDW995

Congratulations!!! Good luck with your career :)

I have the Assessment Day coming up, and if all goes well, they said it would be the Feb date too, so fingers crossed.

Last edited:

jayafc

I have the Assessment Day coming up, and if all goes well, the said it would be the Feb date too, so fingers crossed.

well done mate: when did you apply out of interest. Was it the most recent one in April or before. I’m hoping to hear back myself from the April round.

Tiz

I have the Assessment Day coming up, and if all goes well, the said it would be the Feb date too, so fingers crossed.
Are you all set for your assessments?

SVDW995

well done mate: when did you apply out of interest. Was it the most recent one in April or before. I’m hoping to hear back myself from the April round.
Hi, yes it was the April sift. Invited for interview in October. Good luck, I hope you hear back soon.

csa99s

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything back after the assessment days at the end of November?

I passed the assessment but it’s all gone quiet at the moment. Was sort of hoping for a medical and a start date soon!

laticslad

Hi guys no start date offered yet, passed everything including medical from October assessments. Recruitment have said that they’ll update ASAP basically.. that was 3 weeks ago, with the latest lockdown I imagine that’s a curveball to content with.

Efini92

Established Member
You’re long wait is just beginning I’m afraid. Victoria is snowed under with trainees. Hopefully by the time you get out of training school the country will have returned to a degree of normality. When you’re upto the point where you’re waiting for an instructor (providing it’s allowed again) my advice would be to get out front ending and observe how the job is done.

Tiz

You’re long wait is just beginning I’m afraid. Victoria is snowed under with trainees. Hopefully by the time you get out of training school the country will have returned to a degree of normality. When you’re upto the point where you’re waiting for an instructor (providing it’s allowed again) my advice would be to get out front ending and observe how the job is done.
I was offered a job with freightliner a couple of days later and accepted I start on the 25 Jan.

Jim.bob

I initially applied before covid-19 got an email to say my information will be transferred over in april 20. A few emails back and forth saying application under consideration for an interview and rest assured we will be in touch. I decide to email them after hearing nothing from them and got a reply in the last couple of months. Northern replied saying its now been over 9 months so have to reapply. What a farce! Absolutely gutted and a waste of time.

richfoz84

Where have you got this info from? They started a new course 2 weeks ago.
Your right they did start a course this month. However After that, it was decided they would halt further intakes until later this year to deal with the backlog of people already in the training loop. So this is from “the horses mouth” hence my post to try and help people with knowing what’s happening.

LokiB

Your right they did start a course this month. However After that, it was decided they would halt further intakes until later this year to deal with the backlog of people already in the training loop. So this is from “the horses mouth” hence my post to try and help people with knowing what’s happening.
Do you know if that is for conductors as well or just drivers?

Sebby

They need drivers but due to covid there has been a huge back log. Northern have done their best to get everyone through. We have been lucky and had minimal disruption but a few bit of the course have been missed. They will be recruiting and have opted to take the psychometric stages in house

Jim.bob

They need drivers but due to covid there has been a huge back log. Northern have done their best to get everyone through. We have been lucky and had minimal disruption but a few bit of the course have been missed. They will be recruiting and have opted to take the psychometric stages in house
Is in house a good thing or bad thing?

Sebby

I can see it as a good thing. I had to wait months from my interview to psychometric as no 3rd party would do them.

A460009

Hi richfoz, Is this for both the Manchester and Leeds training schools do you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.