• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Photograph — Any Ideas of the Location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
A photograph from 1958 by Frank Martin of the artist LS Lowry appeared in the Guardian this week, with the artist by a narrow road near to a railway viaduct in a hilly area, captioned merely 'Manchester', linked here. Any ideas where this may have been?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Its Spring Street, Stalybridge - the east end of the station. SB for the Micklehurst Loop. St John's Church Dukinfield on the horizon between the two nearest mill chimneys.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Its Spring Street, Stalybridge - the east end of the station. SB for the Micklehurst Loop. St John's Church Dukinfield on the horizon between the two nearest mill chimneys.

So, just to the East of Stalybridge station, looking South-Eastwards, in the general vicinity of the one time Stalybridge Tunnel Junction, and where the parallel LNWR lines (towards Standedge Tunnel) diverged, one via Mossley and the other via the Micklehurst loop?

The photo was taken when LS Lowry lived at Mottram, roughly 4 miles from Stalybridge and a short bus ride away.

johnnychips

Established Member
The photo was taken when LS Lowry lived at Mottram, roughly 4 miles from Stalybridge and a short bus ride away.
Indeed, he did not drive. I lived in Mottram and my dad and I got on the same bus as him when I was five.

SJL2020

The building to the right of the church. I was wondering if that might be the old infants' school? I attended that school between 1968 and 1971, but it was demolished soon after and replaced with a new school nearby.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Just trying to compare - so is that 'concrete slotted slab' section of railway boundary wall the exact same bit as shown by the gas lamp in the 1958 getty image picture?
Because the Streetview camera is on the street and the 1958 camera is up the bank, the viewpoints are different. The next picture downhill on the Streetview shows that the stone wall on the left of the the 1958 image is still there, and the concrete fence continues uphill from the end of the wall in an area that is out of shot in the old picture.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Because the Streetview camera is on the street and the 1958 camera is up the bank, the viewpoints are different. The next picture downhill on the Streetview shows that the stone wall on the left of the the 1958 image is still there, and the concrete fence continues uphill from the end of the wall in an area that is out of shot in the old picture.
Thanks @edwin_m - helpful notes.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Many thanks! Not a part of Britain I know at all. Looking at the maps and Google Streetview, it's changed a lot over the 60 years. Not many chimneys now and Spring Street seems to be little more than a pathway these days.

Roger Farnworth of this parish has a nice shot in his blog on the Micklehurst Loop looking towards the SB and Spring Street.

Micklehurst Loop

loop1-e1611611289493.jpg

johnnychips

Established Member
What a great memory for you!
Somewhat OT, but my friends and I used to play hide-and-seek in LS Lowry’s back garden. He had a housekeeper to look after his daily needs, but his large garden was a jungle. He was well known and respected in the village of Mottram, and people would say ‘Good Morning, Mr Lowry’ and he would always politely reply.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Many thanks! Not a part of Britain I know at all. Looking at the maps and Google Streetview, it's changed a lot over the 60 years. Not many chimneys now and Spring Street seems to be little more than a pathway these days.
Seems like, by comparing the old map with the aerial views now on the Nat Lib Scotland link, that the housing in c1958 has mostly been demolished, presumably in some sort of slum clearance intervention, but seemingly not replaced or redeveloped by much. I may be wrong of course as I am not familiar with the area. Spring Street seems to have been closed off at one end so serves little or no purpose other than as a footpath cut through.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Last time I was in that area, there was too much vegetation to repeat the photo that included the railway. This view was taken in 2008 from the Stamford Street overbridge, probably about 100 yards east of where the "Lowry" photo was taken (probably somewhere to the right of the milepost).

Attachments

• mx20080112_t_Stalybridge_013.jpg
    mx20080112_t_Stalybridge_013.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 13
Status
Not open for further replies.