• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Picc - Euston TfW/LNR Off-peak Return

Adam Evans

Does anybody know what's happened to the TfW/LNR Only Manchester Piccadilly - London Euston tickets? I can't seem to find it anywhere on any of the various ticketing websites including TfW and LNR themselves.

I previously was able to find it by inputting 'via Atherstone' into the search criteria but that no longer seems to work and instead just keeps directing me to the full price Avanti trains. Have they quietly gotten rid of it?

I hope not because the full priced Avanti tickets are just extortionate and I can rarely plan my journeys around Advance tickets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Still there. I suspect you're ending up with trains in your search other than WMT/TfW and so it isn't coming up.

Putting via Atherstone may not work as all Trent Valley trains run via Atherstone whether they stop or not. You could try using Trainsplit and putting "stop at Atherstone" in the options?

MrJeeves

Established Member
You could try using Trainsplit and putting "stop at Atherstone" in the options?
Alternatively, it may be easier to simply set only include West Midlands Trains and TfW?

I only seem to get splitting options with separate TfW and LNR/WMR advances rather than the single through advance for both TOCs.

Adam Evans

Still there. I suspect you're ending up with trains in your search other than WMT/TfW and so it isn't coming up.

Putting via Atherstone may not work as all Trent Valley trains run via Atherstone whether they stop or not. You could try using Trainsplit and putting "stop at Atherstone" in the options?
Thanks for your help. I managed to find it after a few tries. Glad that it hasn't been pulled.

Concerning though that it's become impossible to find via conventional means (ie the operators own mobile apps).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Concerning though that it's become impossible to find via conventional means (ie the operators own mobile apps).

Most of the apps etc are generally set up for faster journeys - slower but cheaper can be hard to find. That should perhaps be looked at in terms of the accreditation programme.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Most of the apps etc are generally set up for faster journeys - slower but cheaper can be hard to find. That should perhaps be looked at in terms of the accreditation programme.
As far as I am aware there hasn’t been any sort of accreditation for how a journey planner should work, each ends up with minor differences.

plugwash

Established Member
It always was hard to find. The way most rail retail sites are set up just isn't geared to such tickets, they generally let you restrict to a specific operator but very few let you specify a specific combination of operators. And most look for the fastest journeys rather than the cheapest. Sometimes you could trick them by using a via point

Kite159

Veteran Member

The issue with putting 'via Atherstone' is due to the connection time at Crewe being something like 65 minutes between the TfW & LNR service so most journey planners will put in using a northern service from Manchester to Crewe to connect with the LNR service.
Same issue as northbound services as from memory the first train to Manchester from Crewe after the LNR arrives is normally a northern stopper (or even an Avanti service when those run).

Best site I find to look up these tickets is the likes of GWR whom still use the mixing desk layout.

JW24

Found on the forum's ticketing system only. Enter Crewe in the 'via' field and in operators exclude northern and avanti.