• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Piccadilly P13 & 14 new platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GoneSouth

Here is quite an interesting video about the installation method
Superb. I want a stress busting shift hammering in the studs by hand. I’d name every single stud (probably best not name them here though) :D

Trackman

Established Member
Thanks. Love how Heath Robinson that drilling rig is - 6 normal hand drills mounted on a frame!
I was thinking that.
I bet there is some sort of machine somewhere that can do this without measuring by wood, multiple drills from B&Q and incorporating a 'henry' hoover and banging studs down all on its own.
Ah, yes - that will cost millions..

chiltern trev

So is installing individual tactile studs cheaper than laying the paving slabs with studs cast into them which could be laid at the same time as the platform edge copers?

Nice drill jig.

dggar

Probably quite a cost effective way of doing things, if one drill breaks, nip to B&Q, buy a replacement and finish the job...
Screwfix and Toolstation are just 'round the corner, and probably cheaper than B&Q

AndrewE

Established Member
Screwfix and Toolstation are just 'round the corner, and probably cheaper than B&Q
but given the costs of downtime, don't you want a set of good drill bits that won't pack up in the first place? I thought that cooling masonry drill bits was important, or at least worthwhile, I pull mine out regularly and dip them in water, how do they do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.