• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Recovery Taskforce (timetable) consultation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
. One downside might be if some people travelling to Stockport from North Wales buy tickets to Manchester because there are cheaper and Chester-Stockport-Manchester is a valid route then that might distort the data.

That sort of stuff tends to be pretty negligible in the context of the whole network's revenue. It would need to have more than a handfulof folk doing it to have any marked effect.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
In all seriousness the old pattern of Manchester-Llandudno, Holyhead-Brum via Crewe and Stafford, and Chester-Cardiff, worked best in terms of North Wales' transport needs, however until HS2 there isn't room to get to Brum via Stafford (though it could run to Crewe) and direct Cardiff services are a political project.
Which reminds me that Holyhead-Chester-Birmingham was diverted via Shrewsbury by ATW, extending journey times by 30 minutes, without any serious consultation that I recall.
Prior to privatisation there was precisely zero Cardiff-North Wales services.
A single Cardiff-Crewe-Holyhead (via Llandudno) 158 was started by Wales & West at some point before ATW came in.
Now it's apparently (via Wrexham) the backbone of the TfW network.

Llandudno

Established Member
"Transport for the Welsh Government" perhaps. The North Wales to Cardiff demand isn't massive. North Wales, at least east of Llandudno, is de-facto a suburb of Liverpool/Manchester/Chester.
Bit harsh, but they are certainly the best places to go for a night out...!

Bevan Price

Established Member
Which reminds me that Holyhead-Chester-Birmingham was diverted via Shrewsbury by ATW, extending journey times by 30 minutes, without any serious consultation that I recall.
Prior to privatisation there was precisely zero Cardiff-North Wales services.
A single Cardiff-Crewe-Holyhead (via Llandudno) 158 was started by Wales & West at some point before ATW came in.
Now it's apparently (via Wrexham) the backbone of the TfW network.
That was partly a political decision, by people who think that people should only need to travel to/from Welsh destinations.

That was partly a political decision, by people who think that people should only need to travel to/from Welsh destinations.
And forgetting that their train service is supposed to benefit people living on the 'other side' of the border, Hence the franchise being called Wales & Borders. IMHO the Shrewsbury-Crewe service should be transferred to West Midlands Trains as a continuation of their New Street-Shrewsbury service as there is (or was pre-Covid) a significant amount of commuting between Telford and Wem/Whitchurch - journeys for which there is no other public transport option as what few buses there are going north of Telford stop before the borough boundary

Purple Orange

On Moderation
And forgetting that their train service is supposed to benefit people living on the 'other side' of the border, Hence the franchise being called Wales & Borders. IMHO the Shrewsbury-Crewe service should be transferred to West Midlands Trains as a continuation of their New Street-Shrewsbury service as there is (or was pre-Covid) a significant amount of commuting between Telford and Wem/Whitchurch - journeys for which there is no other public transport option as what few buses there are going north of Telford stop before the borough boundary

Same with Manchester to North Wales. The route is primarily a focus for the Manchester to Chester market, followed by a run through North Wales. Much like a London to Aberdeen service is really focussed on the London to Edinburgh market, with the run up to Aberdeen secondary in importance to the overall service, which point-to-point cant compete with air.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Post-devolution many Senedd members would want to use such a service.
"Many"?
There can't be more than about 50 of them all told in North Wales.
"Gerald" (when it ran) was hardly bursting with politicos, or anyone really north of Hereford.
There is a public sector demand (education, health, local government, planning etc) for through services, but the regular economy (and tourism) is skewed east-west not north-south.

Llandudno

Established Member
"Many"?
There can't be more than about 50 of them all told in North Wales.
"Gerald" (when it ran) was hardly bursting with politicos, or anyone really north of Hereford.
There is a public sector demand (education, health, local government, planning etc) for through services, but the regular economy (and tourism) is skewed east-west not north-south.
There is also a very heavily subsidised air service between Anglesey and Cardiff which presumably is in the main for the benefit of Senedd members...

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
In recent years, it has been quicker and more comfortable to travel from Chester to Manchester changing at Crewe than to travel on the supposedly direct line via Northwich. Virgin even used to offer special discounted fares to encourage this. Crewe is also a valid route with "any permitted" tickets.

I had started to use the Crewe route quite regularly when the Warrington trains were either cancelled due to engineering works or overcrowded when they were actually running. There was something not quite right about needing four trains to get from Ellesmere Port to Manchester but this became necessary on a number of weekends when the lines from Liverpool were also suffering from engineering works.

Llandudno

Established Member
In recent years, it has been quicker and more comfortable to travel from Chester to Manchester changing at Crewe than to travel on the supposedly direct line via Northwich. Virgin even used to offer special discounted fares to encourage this. Crewe is also a valid route with "any permitted" tickets.

I had started to use the Crewe route quite regularly when the Warrington trains were either cancelled due to engineering works or overcrowded when they were actually running. There was something not quite right about needing four trains to get from Ellesmere Port to Manchester but this became necessary on a number of weekends when the lines from Liverpool were also suffering from engineering works.
It can be quicker at times to change at Crewe when travelling from north Wales to Manchester, the platforms at Crewe towards Manchester are usually adjacent, but not so convenient when travelling from Manchester.

The other issue is when you get to Crewe the next train to Manchester maybe an already crowded TfW 2 Coach train from Milford Haven!

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Oh I did not realise they were putting 5-car trains on the Manchester routes. Good to know. Cheers
5-car only planned for south Wales to Manchester - we don't know how many cars TfW planned to use on north Wales to Manchester.

I always dreaded standing on Wilmslow station and seeing that only a 2-car Class 175 was deemed worthy for a Manchester to "the far west reaches" of Wales.
Too short yes, but the best legroom on any UK train probably. The 175s are fairly high-quality units, just a shame they don't have unit end gangways and there aren't more of them.

That's very generous! The Senedd has 60 members and as we know ~75% of the population is in South Wales
7 constituency and 4 regional members (for a total of 11 members of the Senedd) representing the north Wales coast I believe.

Wtloild

I suppose to be fair assuming both of those Blackpool-Ringway EMUs call at Salford Crescent (do they?) then you've got a reasonable connection from Southport to Castlefield and back, provided they don't end up requiring 29 minute waits. As it's same platform by definition, if they are timed right that could be a very usable connection
Salford Crescent is one platform, but it's a very very narrow & often very crowded platform. Pushing that station even more as an interchange could be a recipe for disaster at peak times.

Also, am I right in inferring that options A & C would see an end to any trains from the east terminating in the remaining bays at Vic?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Salford Crescent is one platform, but it's a very very narrow & often very crowded platform. Pushing that station even more as an interchange could be a recipe for disaster at peak times.

It's vastly better now the platform buildings have been removed, and the steps have moved further on the platform, which spreads the passengers more (with longer trains)

Killingworth

Established Member
It's vastly better now the platform buildings have been removed, and the steps have moved further on the platform, which spreads the passengers more (with longer trains)

Only time I've travelled to Southport from Sheffield I was routed to change at Piccadilly 13/14 and Salford Crescent. Equally draughty, but at least Piccadilly has the main concourse in which to take refuge!

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I was there yesterday. It's OK for a quick change, making it a major interchange would clearly be problematic with the current layout/facilities.

Greybeard33

Established Member

Also, am I right in inferring that options A & C would see an end to any trains from the east terminating in the remaining bays at Vic?
Bolton might be a better interchange station than Salford Crescent for Southport - Castlefield passengers. Also a same platform change, and the same services will call at both stations.

You are correct that only Option B makes use of the bay Platforms 1 & 2 at Victoria. Both the Leeds via Bradford services terminate there in Option B, whereas in Option A they run through to Chester and Wigan, or both to Chester in Option C.

Option B has the TPE Newcastle service terminating at Victoria, as does Option C in the peaks, but the TPE Novas are too long to use the bays. Presumably they will terminate in Platform 3 and lay over in the reversing siding west of the station.

InOban

Established Member
This isn't my geographical area, but a saw a tweet suggesting that a version B+ is on the agenda for a meeting tomorrow. I'm surprised no-one has picked up on this.

wobman

On Moderation
This isn't my geographical area, but a saw a tweet suggesting that a version B+ is on the agenda for a meeting tomorrow. I'm surprised no-one has picked up on this.
What meeting is this ? What's changed it from plan B to B+ ? Thanks for the info

SuperNova

Been known for a while that they were coming to a compromise. Usual areas won't be happy (S Yorks and Southport) but it's making the best of a poor situation.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Been known for a while that they were coming to a compromise. Usual areas won't be happy (S Yorks and Southport) but it's making the best of a poor situation.

It's on Twitter, and includes an all day Southport-Oxford Road service so I can't see much objection there.

I still think it won't be reliable and that it is necessary to go below 10tphpd to make it work, ideally down to 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.