• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Sheffield on Sundays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
I don't see why they would have. Where has the space to all of the 158s and I'm not sure why staff would be in a different place because I doubt many Nottingham CT staff would have been up for a move to Manchester overnight

But you could diagram from TPx depots out West. Nobody needs to move.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I don't see why they would have. Where has the space to all of the 158s and I'm not sure why staff would be in a different place because I doubt many Nottingham CT staff would have been up for a move to Manchester overnight

If Liverpool-Norwich had gone to TPE it almost certainly would have got ex-CT 170s running it opposed to ex-CT 158s for fleet consistency.

Boysteve

The overcrowding on this line on Sunday mornings has been a problem for years now, it's becoming impossible and yet never seems to be addressed.
This morning was no exception and on the 09.14 TPE service to Sheffield, the cl.170 was so full it was virtually impossible to get aboard 10 minutes before departure.
The next option was the 09.22 Northern Hope Valley stopper but again the Pacer was full and it was standing room only.
The next fast service, the 11.18 is never any better, it's always severely overcrowded.

It seems to me there are two options:
First, strengthen the 09.14 Man - Shf service to 2xcl.170's or a 185, both are available on Sunday mornings.
Second, after the 09.14 TPE, there is a 2 hour gap till the next fast service at 11.18. Why can't another one be inserted at 10.15? Is it because it would not generate a balancing return?

Whatever the reasons for failing to address this problem may be, it's not a pleasant experience travelling between Manchester and Sheffield on Sunday mornings!

The early stopper will be crowded with walkers on a bright day like last Sunday. If the weather was grim it would have been empty.

luke1420

I was on the 15:45 Manchester-Sheffield yesterday formed of a single 142 and it was packed!! Was considering taking the train to Stockport and getting a bus home from their. But instead I decided I would stick with the train and people where still standing after I had got off at romiley. they really need to improve the hope vally stoppers on Sundays especially so near to Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.