• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Stalybridge Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

twpsaesneg

Please to see the posts from the Woodhead line 1500 DC electrification are still up behind the signal box. Might they be pressed into use for 25,000 AC at some point?!
No.
One, they're not in any useful positions for the new wiring, two there's no record drawings for them (of there are, but many are missing) and three, they can't be guaranteed to give the service life required as they're already 70 years old, designed to obselete design standards.

twpsaesneg

We have access to adequate record drawings for 1970s structures plus the calculations used to design them.

GE Rewiring was a renewals project and a reduced lifespan was accepted for the existing structures, plus the equipment was designed specifically not to increase loads on the steelwork from the existing. It also helped that the existing equipment, GE compound, weighed significantly more than and under ice loading was under significantly more tension than the new kit.

Senex

Established Member
Thanks for the pictures.

Are they moving the junction on to what looks like the sharpest part of the curve?

Geeves

Established Member
Its been moved about 200m further away from the curve along with the removal of the dog log behind the signal box and slow speed crossing in front of it.

Jonny

Established Member
Nice work; I presume that the plan is to have all the remodelling done prior to electrification, thus saving on adjustments.

billh

Branch can be quite busy with freight early weekday afternoons, sometimes passing near here, so singling might slow things down somewhat.Consider also the single line Denton to Heaton Norris , with additional freight to Guide Bridge.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The new Halton Curve junctions are just going in as single leads at each end, for a 1tph passenger service.
It's a single line in between so they are bound to be single leads. There's no point in having a double junction unless the branch route is double track for a train length plus signalling overlaps, otherwise branch trains can't pass each other on the junction.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I think it's obvious from those pictures that the branch junction will remain double (using single leads).
Presumably the kink in the old Down Branch line will be smoothed in the process.

The_Engineer

Presumably the kink in the old Down Branch line will be smoothed in the process.
Yes, you can almost see the new alignment in the photographs from the angle of the new points. The new alignment will go through where the old box was. Does anyone know what the new (and old) speeds through the junction and mains will be?

Llama

Established Member
New permissible speed on the main lines will be 75mph (up from 70mph, although there has been a 40mph TSR in place since 2011 on both lines at nearby Moss Lane FP crossing). New permissible speed to/from the Branch lines (renamed to Up & Down Crowthorne lines) will be 40mph thanks to flashing yellow signalling approaching Ashton Moss North Jn on the Down Ashton. Prior to the work trains routed towards Denton were brought down to AMN2/4 semaphore home/section signal under approach release on a steep rising gradient, so this new setup should save a few minutes for freight.

Senex

Established Member
I heard elsewhere that on the down line it's to be 75 from Baguley Fold Jn (exc) to 6¾ miles, then 60 to 7½, followed by 35 through Stalybridge Jn. On the up no change to the 25 through the junction, then 60 from 7½ to 6¾, 70 to 6¼, and 75 to Baguley Fold Jn. It's interesting that this apparently doesn't tie up either with the reports we had here of 40 at Stalybridge or with the speed-profile suggested in the lecture to the PWI that Gralistair referred us to. Also interesting that after all that money spent at Ashton there will still be a restriction through the station on the up line—not that it will matter very much because of the lower speed beforehand. Should that island platform have been dug out and replaced by two simple side platforms with bus shelters on them?

Ploughman

Established Member

Foggycorner

Went on run to Stalybridge today and noticed that the cable route work for the 25Kv cable has large gaps in the run were no work has been done
Its not a hard job to put the new lightweight plastic trough in and this job should have been finished by now

twpsaesneg

Went on run to Stalybridge today and noticed that the cable route work for the 25Kv cable has large gaps in the run were no work has been done
Its not a hard job to put the new lightweight plastic trough in and this job should have been finished by now
It's easier than concrete but it certainly isn't "not hard". Bear in mind that Carillions liquidation has had a massive effect, the main efforts have (rightly) been put into Phase 4.
I'm sure Amey will restart works when the resource and access is there to do so.

Foggycorner

No access to up to date project plan just an observation after 40 odd years experience in the S&T on the railway including a lot of cable route work both doing it and then managing teams both in house and contractors who need watching and given a kick up the ass when needed

LDECRexile

Established Member
I have received this from an authoritative Orangeman:

"Phase 5 have been given infrastructure authorisation by the ORR which means it now needs operational authorisation and it will be ready to accept trains. Another big step and a sign Phase 5 is close to completion."

I have not been following Phase 5 closely, so I have nothing of value to add or comment on this except that it sounds like good news!

notlob.divad

Established Member
"Phase 5 have been given infrastructure authorisation by the ORR which means it now needs operational authorisation and it will be ready to accept trains. Another big step and a sign Phase 5 is close to completion."

Is that Phase 5; Phase 5 - Part 1; or Phase 5 - Part 1 - Subsection A ?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Is that Phase 5; Phase 5 - Part 1; or Phase 5 - Part 1 - Subsection A ?

Well as the wires are not up beyond Victoria I don't know what this means.
Possibly that ORR has agreed the scope of the minor extension to Vic East Jn (plus "mains lead").
Months away from energisation, I think.
Some bases (those gravity things) and steelwork still missing I think.

trickyvegas

Pretty sure it means the electrified lines east out of MCV to the Miles Platting area. The rest would come under Transpennine route upgrade.
I'm fairly certain that Victoria to Stalybridge was part of the Northern Hub plan which was agreed prior to the Transpenine electrification.

nr758123

I'm fairly certain that Victoria to Stalybridge was part of the Northern Hub plan which was agreed prior to the Transpenine electrification.

That's my recollection, too. I don't recall any announcement that electrification to Stalybridge had been cancelled or postponed (and just to be clear, running a supply cable from Heyrod but with no overhead wires does not count as electrification), but it seems to be the fashion these days for government ministers to cancel schemes and then not bother to make their decisions public until months later.

Perhaps I wasn't paying attention when it was cancelled, or it's an announcement to be slipped out tomorrow when we're all distracted by something else? Not that I'm the slightest bit cynical, you understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.