• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester to Middlesbrough

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Perhaps they need to rename the ticket to "Lancashire* Day Ranger (* pre-1974 county boundaries apply)".

I once had a minor incident at Southport gate-line where the ticket collector didn't seem to understand the concept of breaking a journey and was keen to keep hold of my ticket which hadn't been fully used. They relented after a bit of explanation though.

Rover/Ranger ticket names can be confusing. The Lincolnshire Day Ranger omits a lot of Lincolnshire - the Barton-on-Humber branch, Barnetby to Scunthorpe, Barnetby to Gainsborough.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I wasn't in Lancashire

Liverpool & most of Merseyside ARE in Lancashire. (except the Wirral which is Cheshire. I do not believe in these new fangled Metropolitan Counties and Unitary Authorities &c. <D)

Anyway they were when I was born. I take your point though that some staff, esp barrier staff, do not get the commercial training that we receive as guards. (one chap on a barrier {no names - no pack drill} told me that his boss did not think it was necessary to send him on a commercial course as the barrier would "sort out the wheat from the chaff"!). A lot of training for these staff comes "on the job" through other informed colleagues & yes, on occassion, passengers who are clued up.

This problem is not limited to the UK as I was recently in Germany using a Mecklenburgh - Vorpommern Laender ticket (similar to a day rover for one German Laender {Province/State}) - this ticket is also valid outside the Meck - Vorp Laender (i.e. to Hamburgh & Luebeck) however the station staff in these cities were not convinced - the ontrain staff did accept it without question, however.

Let's hope the barrier staff at Southport have learned from this experience

Status
Not open for further replies.