• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Victoria - Edinburgh via Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

317 forever

Established Member
For the above routing, I notice the cheapest regularly advertised Advance fares are with TPE from Manchester Victoria to Newcastle then LNER to Edinburgh from there.

If we change at York instead it tends to be more expensive. Maybe this is intended to keep more seats free on LNER for London traffic.

There are limited shuttles from Newcastle to Edinburgh run by TPE. I have been trying to find some MCV - NCL - EDB fares with both legs TPE but without success. Do any such Advance fares exist, and if so, how can we find them?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
For the above routing, I notice the cheapest regularly advertised Advance fares are with TPE from Manchester Victoria to Newcastle then LNER to Edinburgh from there.

If we change at York instead it tends to be more expensive. Maybe this is intended to keep more seats free on LNER for London traffic.

There are limited shuttles from Newcastle to Edinburgh run by TPE. I have been trying to find some MCV - NCL - EDB fares with both legs TPE but without success. Do any such Advance fares exist, and if so, how can we find them?
I can’t really help much, but just a quick thought, is it because with only a fairly limited number of TPE services to Edinburgh as you note, if for those that do run the connection times are too long, so they’re putting you on an earlier connecting LNER to reduce the wait at Newcastle?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

There are AP TPE Only tickets for this flow (Manchester Stations to Edinburgh) - obviously intended for travel on the WCML but also valid on the ECML. These are in addition to the AP TPE & Connections tickets, which are marginally more expensive for each given tier of Advance (though the LNER service may restrict availability to more expensive Advance tiers).

The connections between the Liverpool-Newcastle and Newcastle-Edinburgh services aren't very good in most cases (not helped by the latter running to a non-clockface timetable). But if you use the advanced search options in TrainSplit and enter via Newcastle and limit it to TPE services only, you should get some results.

317 forever

Established Member
Thank you for both your replies.

From your first post I can tell it is no widely advertised, as it could waste non-enthusiasts' time. When I tried adding 1/2 hour increment I would have missed the TPE connection to Edinburgh.

From your second post I have found it in case I go through with it, thanks!

Thank you for both your replies.

From your first post I can tell it is no widely advertised, as it could waste non-enthusiasts' time. When I tried adding 1/2 hour increment I would have missed the TPE connection to Edinburgh.

From your second post I have found it in case I go through with it, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.