• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Wayfarer a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

postye

I'd be grateful if those with knowledge could answer a couple of
Questions please

1) from railrover.org it appears the wayfarer is not subject to the northern evening peak restrictions, however I cannot find this on NRE, is this correct?

2) can a guard on the train issue a wayfarer?

3) is the wayfarer valid between Stockport - guide bridge on the Denton flyer?

4) I the wayfarer valid on trams?

Many Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
I'd be grateful if those with knowledge could answer a couple of
Questions please

1) from railrover.org it appears the wayfarer is not subject to the northern evening peak restrictions, however I cannot find this on NRE, is this correct?

2) can a guard on the train issue a wayfarer?

3) is the wayfarer valid between Stockport - guide bridge on the Denton flyer?

4) I the wayfarer valid on trams?

Many Thanks

1) The TfGM link from the railrover.org page confirms that it is not subject to the restrictions.
2) The railrover.org page confirms it can.
3) Although not specifically listed, there have been threads with a consensus that yes it is valid as all the stations are inside the GM area.
4) As the railrover.org site states under Train Operating Companies "Metrolink", yes :)

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
1) The Wayfarer is not subject to time restrictes in the evening.
2) Yes, a guard can issue a Wayfarer using his Advantix machine.
3) I would be very surprised if a guard queried it.
4) Yes

Bevan Price

Established Member
Guards should be able to issue Wayfarer tickets - but some based away from Manchester may not be familiar with the necessary codes. Stations outside the Wayfarer area are also able to sell them.

Stockport to Stalybridge is a valid route for a Wayfarer. Problem is Wayfarer is not valid before 09:30 (Monday - Friday) - and the train departs at 09:22. You would need a single to Denton (depart 09:32) before you can use the Wayfarer.

Yes, you can use them on Metrolink trams, but I have sometimes had to explain to ticket checkers that it was a Wayfarer, not an ordinary rail ticket (some of which are not valid on Metrolink, including Rovers, etc.)

Harpers Tate

Established Member
There are at least two Wayfarers - the GMPTE one and the Derbyshire one. The answers supplied thus far all refer to the GMPTE one. If that's the intention of the question then - yes, they certainly can be issued on-train, as long as the relevant conductor knows what to look for (and, it's a fair assumption, those working in the area should know this). Having bought one previously, I now carry the old ticket with me in case they need help in finding it. And, by so doing, was recently able to persuade Sheffield ticket office to issue one.

unlevel42

I now carry the old ticket with me in case they need help in finding it. And, by so doing, was recently able to persuade Sheffield ticket office to issue one.

Good idea, however Sheffield will issue hundreds of Derbyshire Wayfarers a day particularly in the spring and summer.

I can buy a Wayfarer from our bus stop in Sheffield to East Midlands Airport
if I buy the ticket on an inbound 273/4/5 bus to the interchange Sheffield then train to Derby.

postye

Many thanks all for the replies.

Yes I was referring to the Manchester wayfarer - I hadn't realised there was a Derbyshire one so apologies for any confusion.

Thanks also to Bevan Price for pointing out the time validity and that therefore it wouldn't be valid from Stockport, I will buy a ticket to Denton and a wayfarer from there providing I'm not too delayed on the way.

button_boxer

Established Member
I can buy a Wayfarer from our bus stop in Sheffield to East Midlands Airport
if I buy the ticket on an inbound 273/4/5 bus to the interchange Sheffield then train to Derby.

Strictly speaking a Derbyshire Wayfarer isn't valid on the 273/4/5 for a journey entirely within South Yorkshire, only for trips that start or finish in Derbyshire. With the slightly bizarre result that from (say) Fox House you wouldn't be valid to get a 272 direct to Sheffield, but you would be valid to get one a couple of stops the other way, cross the road, and get the next one back to Sheffield...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Many thanks all for the replies.

Yes I was referring to the Manchester wayfarer - I hadn't realised there was a Derbyshire one so apologies for any confusion.

Thanks also to Bevan Price for pointing out the time validity and that therefore it wouldn't be valid from Stockport, I will buy a ticket to Denton and a wayfarer from there providing I'm not too delayed on the way.

Is there anywhere in the Denton station (unmanned) area where such a Manchester Wayfarer purchase could be made?

Smethwickian

Strictly speaking a Derbyshire Wayfarer isn't valid on the 273/4/5 for a journey entirely within South Yorkshire, only for trips that start or finish in Derbyshire. With the slightly bizarre result that from (say) Fox House you wouldn't be valid to get a 272 direct to Sheffield, but you would be valid to get one a couple of stops the other way, cross the road, and get the next one back to Sheffield...

I have on at least three occasions in the last couple of years caught buses from Fox Houses (the boundary stop by the pub itself) into Sheffield with a Derbyshire Wayfarer without any driver's second glance. Technically, I suppose it isn't permitted, as the stop is definitely a South Yorkshire one, but I simply never assumed it would cross anyone's mind to refuse.

oddiesjack

Is the 09:30 validity time fixed, or does the morning off-peak times for a particular route apply?
(eg Chinley - Manchester off-peak validity kicks in on the 08:33 Trans-Pennine Cleethorpes to Manchester Airport)

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Is the 09:30 validity time fixed, or does the morning off-peak times for a particular route apply?
(eg Chinley - Manchester off-peak validity kicks in on the 08:33 Trans-Pennine Cleethorpes to Manchester Airport)

The 09:30 start time is strictly imposed.

Northwich has a 09:30 departure for Manchester which is 09:28 in leaf-fall season.

Northwich to Manchester off-peak day return tickets have a B3 restriction so in leaf-fall season they are valid on the 09:28 departure.

The TfGM Wayfarer is valid for Northwich-Manchester journeys after 09:30 but during leaf-fall season passengers requesting one are usually told they have to buy a single to Lostock Gralam or wait for the 10:28 train.

According to previous posts the Manchester Wayfarer can be bought at ticket offices outside the Manchester area. Can anybody tell me what the booking clerk would need to type in their computer to find the ticket? I ask because I'm sure when I try to get one it will confuse them!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Depending on the machine in use, they may have to look in different sections of the machine. For STAR and FasTis it'll be under "Rovers".

northwichcat

Veteran Member

Jonfun

Established Member
According to previous posts the Manchester Wayfarer can be bought at ticket offices outside the Manchester area. Can anybody tell me what the booking clerk would need to type in their computer to find the ticket? I ask because I'm sure when I try to get one it will confuse them!

Just on an aside, in case you do get a clerk/train manager who's not sure on it, and don't want to sound like a know-it-all etc listing rover codes, it might help to ask initially for a "Greater Manchester Wayfarer" - so they're more likely to do a search for rovers beginning with "G" rather than "M" or "W" which depending on TIS might not yield the required result.

Just on an aside, in case you do get a clerk/train manager who's not sure on it, and don't want to sound like a know-it-all etc listing rover codes, it might help to ask initially for a "Greater Manchester Wayfarer" - so they're more likely to do a search for rovers beginning with "G" rather than "M" or "W" which depending on TIS might not yield the required result.
Thanks for that tip, a Manchester rover under the letter "G", this is why the clerks can't find them!

Jonfun

Established Member
Don't forget though, it covers a lot more than just Manchester. Out into the suburban Lancashire sprawl, bits of Derbyshire, they'll even let you into Cheshire with it :o Basically anywhere in the Greater Manchester region, hence the name.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The TfGM Wayfarer is valid for Northwich-Manchester journeys after 09:30 but during leaf-fall season passengers requesting one are usually told they have to buy a single to Lostock Gralam or wait for the 10:28 train.

By the ticket office staff, presumably? I would be very surprised if the guard (assuming tickets are checked on departure from Northwich, insists on a passenger holding this ticket buying an SDS to Lostock Gralam?

northwichcat

Veteran Member
By the ticket office staff, presumably? I would be very surprised if the guard (assuming tickets are checked on departure from Northwich, insists on a passenger holding this ticket buying an SDS to Lostock Gralam?

It used to be that neither off-peak day returns or Wayfarers were valid on the just before 09:30 departure during leaf fall season. After pressure from MCRUA Northern agreed to change the restriction code on the off-peak tickets to prevent that happening but said that Wayfarer tickets can't be accepted on pre-09:30 departures and they don't control the restrictions so can't change that. Officially either the ticket office staff or the conductor aren't supposed to accept Wayfarers for a 09:29 departure but I'd guess the ticket office staff would be stricter given the passenger has to face the conductor after the ticket office staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.