• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mark E Smith of The Fall: 1957 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It has been announced that indie-rock legend Mark E Smith of cult Manchester band The Fall has died at the age of 60. Notoriously caustic in dealings with press, fans and bandmates alike, Smith carved out a legendary reputation during the 40-year lifespan of the band of which he was the only constant member.
The BBC has this article, extract provided below: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42811968
The Fall singer Mark E Smith has died aged 60, the band's manager has said.

Pam Van Damned said the frontman died at home on Wednesday morning and a more detailed statement would follow "in the next few days".

"In the meantime, Pam and Mark's family request privacy at this sad time," the statement said.

Paying tribute, Smith's former bandmate Marc Riley said the singer "taught me a lot about life and he taught me a lot about music".

Riley, now a radio DJ, was on air on BBC 6 Music when the news broke. The pair had a tumultuous relationship - as was the case with Smith and many of the 60-odd musicians who passed through The Fall's ranks.

"Aged 16 he really did teach me so much," Riley told listeners.

"The Fall were my favourite band when I joined and they were still my favourite band when I got kicked out."

On a personal level, The Fall were among my favourite bands of all time. Whilst Smith was a controversial figure, he along with his ever-changing, often-fired band created some of the greatest British music since the 1960s. Besides his extensive work with The Fall, he also reached a new generation of listeners as part of Von Südenfed: a collaboration with German electro group Mouse on Mars.

Besides music, he also acted (playing God in an episode of the Johnny Vegas sitcom, Ideal) and once guested as the Classified Football Results reader on BBC Final Score.

I would say Rest in Peace, but I imagine Smith himself would probably scoff at such sentiments... so I'll just say cheers for the great music, for the not-so-great-but-interesting music, and for so many chaotic (in a good way) shows over the years.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tracked

Established Member
Gutted, that means no new Fall album ever again :'(

Saw them live a few times, once in Doncaster @ The Leopard a few years after the New York thing. Only recognised a couple of the songs they played, but it was one of my favourite gigs ever.

Altfish

My favourite band by a country mile; I reckon I saw them live about 80 times, first in 1982 and for the final time in London last January.

RIP Mark, thanks for the music and memories

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It has been announced that indie-rock legend Mark E Smith of cult Manchester band The Fall has died at the age of 60. Notoriously caustic in dealings with press, fans and bandmates alike, Smith carved out a legendary reputation during the 40-year lifespan of the band of which he was the only constant member.
The BBC has this article, extract provided below: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42811968

On a personal level, The Fall were among my favourite bands of all time. Whilst Smith was a controversial figure, he along with his ever-changing, often-fired band created some of the greatest British music since the 1960s. Besides his extensive work with The Fall, he also reached a new generation of listeners as part of Von Südenfed: a collaboration with German electro group Mouse on Mars.

Besides music, he also acted (playing God in an episode of the Johnny Vegas sitcom, Ideal) and once guested as the Classified Football Results reader on BBC Final Score.

I would say Rest in Peace, but I imagine Smith himself would probably scoff at such sentiments... so I'll just say cheers for the great music, for the not-so-great-but-interesting music, and for so many chaotic (in a good way) shows over the years.
Nicely said 61653. He could be tyrant to work with, but also an absolute genius.
So long Mark.

trash80

Established Member
I wouldn't say i was a huge fan though Free Range is one of my all-time favourite songs. I was listening to that and a few other Fall songs early, more invention and musical innovation in one song than most artists manage in a multi-decade career.

Status
Not open for further replies.