• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Marsh Barton Railway Station Exeter - Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

REVUpminster

Someone has pulled the funding for Edgingswell, pointless station anyway. Platform 2 extension has been worked on for weeks now and all contractors on site, a quick look to the site and thats obvious. None of what you quote is actually in the hands of GWR?

Just what I was told by a manager in conversation.
Has the red building gone at Exeter? I am sure it was still there three weeks ago. Hundreds of house have been built to the north of Edginswell; hundreds to be built south west of the station. What has happened to the funding? Maybe because it is now not enough because of the delay. Torquay is the third largest town (67,800) behind Plymouth and Exeter and building right up to the border of Teignbridge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Train Maniac

Form an orderly queue please. All stations officially announced to open in 'Early 2023' please wait in line until called forward to the counter. Portway Park & Ride, Reading Green Park, Marsh Barton, Thanet Parkway, Headbolt Lane and Brent Cross West, I'm looking at you all. Dear Brent Cross West, you are station number 6 in the opening list, your opening is important to us, please stay on the line until one of our agents is available.
HAHAHAHA Brilliant!

I wonder if they will all open in a row? (Consecutive days / weeks)
That would be a pretty fun adventure actually, seeing how quickly you can visit them all. Ah. Be right back.... :lol:

fgwrich

Established Member
HAHAHAHA Brilliant!

I wonder if they will all open in a row? (Consecutive days / weeks)
That would be a pretty fun adventure actually, seeing how quickly you can visit them all. Ah. Be right back.... :lol:

Surprisingly 3 for one TOC - has that ever happened before? 3 New stations in 1 month for 1 TOC (barring new lines like the Borders / Ebbw etc).

RPI

Established Member
Has the red building gone at Exeter? I am sure it was still there three weeks ago. Hundreds of house have been built to the north of Edginswell; hundreds to be built south west of the station. What has happened to the funding? Maybe because it is now not enough because of the delay. Torquay is the third largest town (67,800) behind Plymouth and Exeter and building right up to the border of Teignbridge.
The demolition of the buildings is all part of the work for extending platform 2, the former traincrew building has been demolished, the site of that cleared, over the past few weeks tons of materials and equipment has been delivered and is on the site of the former staff car park, its all work on platform 2.

Dan G

Someone has pulled the funding for Edgingswell, pointless station anyway. Platform 2 extension has been worked on for weeks now and all contractors on site, a quick look to the site and thats obvious. None of what you quote is actually in the hands of GWR?

Just what I was told by a manager in conversation.

Did the manager mention a reason for the Marsh Barton station opening delay?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Form an orderly queue please. All stations officially announced to open in 'Early 2023' please wait in line until called forward to the counter. Portway Park & Ride, Reading Green Park, Marsh Barton, Thanet Parkway, Headbolt Lane and Brent Cross West, I'm looking at you all. Dear Brent Cross West, you are station number 6 in the opening list, your opening is important to us, please stay on the line until one of our agents is available.
Don't forget the dodgy jazz music!

Ashley Hill

Established Member
There had been reports of people on one of the platforms yesterday. Having visited the station this morning all the gates were secure and fencing intact. Weird hearing the “ding dong fast train approaching” announcements and they are surprisingly loud.

Dan G

You've reminded me to post the photos I took recently!

It does look like NR/GWR are waiting for the "gardening" to be finished, restoring the works compound back to grass and doing other landscaping. There's also a lot of work going on with a culvert next to the canal; I don't know if the work is related to the station but it's using the same works entrance.
PXL_20230521_130253822.jpg
PXL_20230521_130259489.jpg
PXL_20230521_130306335.jpg
PXL_20230521_130400962.jpg
PXL_20230521_130500972.jpg
PXL_20230521_130528459.jpg

ExRes

Established Member
An update from the advert infested Devon Live, the opening date is yet to be set because of work still in progress on the periphery of the site and on the access roads, Devon County Council said that work had been completed with independent assessments still to be carried out before opening "We are yet to receive confirmation of when this process will be concluded"

Apedlar12

I was told by someone a few days ago that it could be opening this Saturday (17th June) but I don't know what/who their source was...

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I was told by someone a few days ago that it could be opening this Saturday (17th June) but I don't know what/who their source was...
June was mentioned previously. Realtime trains does not show that yet, still 'service stop unadvertised' until July, but that status can be altered at short notice.

Dan G

Lots of progress installing the new flood culvert, which is now in place and buried. The containers for storage and welfare for that work are in laybys on the station carpark road, so the work must be connected.

PXL_20230616_161127736.jpg

The culvert yesterday (Friday), with Marsh Barton station beyond. Still a fair bit to do.

Last edited:

Future

Believe the road closure there is in place until the 24th June, so I’d make an educated guess it’d open after that

ollyexe2808

Believe the road closure there is in place until the 24th June, so I’d make an educated guess it’d open after that

Agreed - also the current temporary access route is also having work done to it next week I think, to reinstate it as a shared footpath/cycle way. So sounds like next weekend would be the earliest time it opens....but all conjecture at this point!

GWR sound like they are announcing opening date of MB at 10:00 this morning.

Last edited:

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Excellent news. I won't be in the area on the opening day but it's only a matter of time before I make an inaugural visit to the station Double Locks.

SJ21

(will also mean having some PIS codes that actually work
It is in Train FX already (the system used on the train). Was on a train last week which showed Marsh Barton as a calling point. Tried to get a photo but the refresh rate on the PIS displays is not good.

michael74

It is in Train FX already (the system used on the train). Was on a train last week which showed Marsh Barton as a calling point. Tried to get a photo but the refresh rate on the PIS displays is not good.
Yes I know, I still had a couple of "route aborted" when I entered the PIS into Doris. When you skip the station of the FX generally it won't remove the station off the PIS screen untill the next station.

Status
Not open for further replies.