• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Maths and english

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLee

I will not be able to supply any gcse results to a toc I will be training with, I didn’t do well in school anyway but applied myself to things more so when I left.

They mentioned about a course that can be done that they will provide.

Has anyone done this and do you have more info on it?

Although I’m not thick, I have forgotten a lot of the maths formulas and English rules that I don’t need to use on a daily basis. Would be horrible to miss out on passing a course because of things like that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthernTech

I think it will be the Key Skills Level 2 courses in Application of Number (Maths) and Communication (English). They may want you to do the Information and Communication Technology one too. I don’t think they take long to do, it will be the pre requisite for being an apprenticeship.

SLee

I think it will be the Key Skills Level 2 courses in Application of Number (Maths) and Communication (English). They may want you to do the Information and Communication Technology one too. I don’t think they take long to do, it will be the pre requisite for being an apprenticeship.
That sounds about right, are you guided through it and reminded of the methods or is it just a test that you can fail?

EvoUK

That sounds about right, are you guided through it and reminded of the methods or is it just a test that you can fail?
It’s will a course that will last a few months (similar to a class in school) which you will undertake alongside your train driving training (likely online at home). Towards the end of it, you will be required to sit an exam for each subject which will allow you to gain qualifications equivalent to GCSE.

It’s not too difficult, although support quality will vary depending on the skills training company your TOC works with.

Thermal

If it is the key skills level 2 qualifications for a train driver apprenticeship, then it is nothing to worry about. It's quite a basic level for Maths, English and ICT, all completed in work time, across 5 days, including the assessment for each.

You are guided through it and will be shown examples of the questions and answers, and offered the opportunity to be re-briefed and re-tested if you fail any part. I am aware of a trainee who's only knowledge of ICT was from using their phone and they still managed to pass after 2 days tuition. The qualification is branded as being equivalent to GCSE level, but I believe that stems more from the politics behind it, as the content itself is nowhere near GCSE level.

Also at my TOC, and I believe at others too, passing or failing these has no impact on completing your training either. The main reason key skills level 2 is required is to allow the TOC to claim funds from the government apprenticeship levy. This is why the course covers using powerpoint, even though my TOC do not allow electronic devices to be used whilst carrying out your duties. It is made clear to trainees too, that although passing is desirable, failing the apprentice program would not prohibit you from passing out as a driver. The only tests that matter for your job are the TOC's own assessments.

Last edited:

ALPAL

Is this arrangement if you're already working for the TOC as a non-driver?

I've been told for the most recent TOC I've applied for (non-rail employee now) that you NEED the GCSE in Maths and English at C or above to enroll onto the apprenticeship, as the awarding body will not allow students to start without this prerequisite. They've lost a few candidates already because they can't find their GCSE certificates even though they'd studied a degree already in their lives!

SLee

If it is the key skills level 2 qualifications for a train driver apprenticeship, then it is nothing to worry about. It's quite a basic level for Maths, English and ICT, all completed in work time, across 5 days, including the assessment for each.

You are guided through it and will be shown examples of the questions and answers, and offered the opportunity to be re-briefed and re-tested if you fail any part. I am aware of a trainee who's only knowledge of ICT was from using their phone and they still managed to pass after 2 days tuition. The qualification is branded as being equivalent to GCSE level, but I believe that stems more from the politics behind it, as the content itself is nowhere near GCSE level.

Also at my TOC, and I believe at others too, passing or failing these has no impact on completing your training either. The main reason key skills level 2 is required is to allow the TOC to claim funds from the government apprenticeship levy. This is why the course covers using powerpoint, even though my TOC do not allow electronic devices to be used whilst carrying out your duties. It is made clear to trainees too, that although passing is desirable, failing the apprentice program would not prohibit you from passing out as a driver. The only tests that matter for your job are the TOC's own assessments.
Thank you very much, I was told it was a 5 day course covered in work time so thanks for putting my mind at ease

I've been told for the most recent TOC I've applied for (non-rail employee now) that you NEED the GCSE in Maths and English at C or above to enroll onto the apprenticeship, as the awarding body will not allow students to start without this prerequisite. They've lost a few candidates already because they can't find their GCSE certificates even though they'd studied a degree already in their lives!
Mine is with TPE, the application didn’t mention GCSE’s. But In my interview they said they would need them and if I can’t access them I can sit this course. HR confirmed this when I got the job offer.

Thermal

I can't speak for all TOC's, but for mine certainly, Key Skills is included as part of the apprenticeship for all candidates, internal and external. It is not unusual for the majority of each class to have to take some or all of the course as many students have either lost certificates or simply attended school pre the GCSE era and older qualifications are not accepted. Blocking access to those without GCSEs would seem to defeat the object of the apprenticeship itself.

NorthernTech

Thank you very much, I was told it was a 5 day course covered in work time so thanks for putting my mind at ease

Mine is with TPE, the application didn’t mention GCSE’s. But In my interview they said they would need them and if I can’t access them I can sit this course. HR confirmed this when I got the job offer.
Congratulations on the job offer, you must be made up?!! Don’t worry about the functional skills, I did them quite a while back, I don’t recall them being difficult at all. I couldn’t find my gcse certs so I had to do these. They have been handy to have as I have been able to apply to some TOC’s or FOC’s that insisted on having proof at application.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member

They could try contacting the school or examining board, replacement certificates may be available.

SLee

Congratulations on the job offer, you must be made up?!! Don’t worry about the functional skills, I did them quite a while back, I don’t recall them being difficult at all. I couldn’t find my gcse certs so I had to do these. They have been handy to have as I have been able to apply to some TOC’s or FOC’s that insisted on having proof at application.
Thanks very much, I’m really happy but just want to get that medical passed and contract signed, until that happens nothing is guaranteed :/

ALPAL

They could try contacting the school or examining board, replacement certificates may be available.
Certificates were required to book onto the assessment centre, school copies may be available but the exam boards take around 30 days to process lost certificate requests and that is after 7 days for them to check whether you hold a Maths GCSE with that board, i.e. your Maths may be Edexcel and English may be AQA and unless you can remember which one is which you have to let them search for you.

Not ideal at all! So to anyone looking to apply for train driving apprenticeships that has done GCSEs, find/replace your certificates before you apply just in case!

NorthernTech

Thanks very much, I’m really happy but just want to get that medical passed and contract signed, until that happens nothing is guaranteed :/
Didn’t you say you kept quite fit and looked after yourself when working trams in Manchester? If so, there is a good chance you’ll be fine. But like you say, you can relax when you have a signed contract!

SLee

Didn’t you say you kept quite fit and looked after yourself when working trams in Manchester? If so, there is a good chance you’ll be fine. But like you say, you can relax when you have a signed contract!
It’s more stuff like sight or hearing. You kinda never know until you get it tested. Had to do all these tests last year for the trams though.

Status
Not open for further replies.