• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Maximum Fare TfL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I have an interesting one, which many people would say "let it go - you are better off"

I travelled from WGC (Welwyn Garden City) - Moorgate earlier in the week, changing at Farringdon because of disruption rather then use the direct train.

Tapped in at WGC, a last minute change of platform meant I needed to go through the barriers multiple times so for whatever reason my entry was not recorded. I was stopped by a revenue protection team at Farringdon and swiped my card, left Moorgate at normal.

My card was charged the £6 maximum fare, (Failed revenue check - Moorgate the journey) - However the fare I should be charged was actually £10. I have attempted to get this corrected by contacting TfL but they are stating that as I didn't tap in the maximum fare remains. I guess they don't often get customers saying they were undercharged, but it does seem odd this can't be corrected (unless others have suggestions)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I have an interesting one, which many people would say "let it go - you are better off"

I travelled from WGC - Moorgate earlier in the week, changing at Farringdon because of disruption rather then use the direct train.

Tapped in at WGC, a last minute change of platform meant I needed to go through the barriers multiple times so for whatever reason my entry was not recorded. I was stopped by a revenue protection team at Farringdon and swiped my card, left Moorgate at normal.

My card was charged the £6 maximum fare, (Failed revenue check - Moorgate the journey) - However the fare I should be charged was actually £10. I have attempted to get this corrected by contacting TfL but they are stating that as I didn't tap in the maximum fare remains. I guess they don't often get customers saying they were undercharged, but it does seem odd this can't be corrected (unless others have suggestions)
You probably don't want to let it go, as three failed revenue inspections will result in your card being blocked (though if you have other cards available, this is probably not the end of the world).

You could request CCTV footage from GTR, in order to prove that you touched in.

pelli

I believe the journey history in the Oyster app and the TfL contactless website should show all individual taps made, regardless of how they are then (mis)interpreted into journeys that form the basis for charging. Are you able to see your Welwyn Garden City taps there (check both the app and the website as they sometimes give conflicting information), and could it shed light on why a bunch of taps ending with a gateline entry (assuming it's all gatelines and no standalone readers) did not get recorded as a start of a journey?

Failed Unit

Established Member
I think at WGC it is the joys of the "anti-pass-back". The day in question my train was due to go from platform 1 (so I touch in) - it was moved onto platform 4 (so I touch out of 1 and into 4) - They gate on 4 doesn't open, I explain what to the inspector on the platform I have just come from 1, he opens the gates. I suspect the swapping of platforms at WGC and lots of tapping in close succession caused this. But I suspect this should all be seen on the TfL IT systems.

Edit following post above, I can see the WGC - WGC journey charged at £0 - So now to get TfL to correctly charge me (more for a change)

Thanks for your help.

island

Veteran Member
You probably don't want to let it go, as three failed revenue inspections will result in your card being blocked (though if you have other cards available, this is probably not the end of the world).

You could request CCTV footage from GTR, in order to prove that you touched in.
As I understand it, it is in fact two failed revenue inspections that will result in the card being blocked from further use until you call TfL and give a satisfactory explanation.

A third results in a permanent block on the card in question.

I leave it as an exercise to the reader how effective this sanction is in a world where cards are promptly replaced with new numbers at a customer's request.

Failed Unit

Established Member
As I understand it, it is in fact two failed revenue inspections that will result in the card being blocked from further use until you call TfL and give a satisfactory explanation.

I leave it as an exercise to the reader how effective this sanction is in a world where cards are promptly replaced with new numbers at a customer's request.
That is an interesting question, I have just needed to get a card replaced by because a faulty chip. 5 minute phone call isn't the end of the world. Would it do it to save £4 per day? Certainly not, but I am sure others would. I has surprised the maximum fare was only £6 in my case considering how far you can get using contactless on tfl now. If I was doing say WGC - Gatwick airport or WGC - Reading (assuming it is possible) TfL would be more significantly out of pocket with this issue.

I am sure TfL will be reviewing the maximum fare as more passengers are using them for longer distances now then the traditional zones 1-6.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

I'd be interested to know the basis for your understanding, by private conversation if you prefer.
I has surprised the maximum fare was only £6 in my case considering how far you can get using contactless on tfl now. If I was doing say WGC - Gatwick airport or WGC - Reading (assuming it is possible) TfL would be more significantly out of pocket with this issue.
The maximum fare charged is based on where it is charged. Within zones 1-6 (possibly 9) it is the mixed mode zone 1-6 fare. The other two journeys you mention would be charged more depending on which end you touched. Reading would be most, and yes it is possible.
I am sure TfL will be reviewing the maximum fare as more passengers are using them for longer distances now then the traditional zones 1-6.
I think this is quite likely as PAYG is extended further into the South East.

Status
Not open for further replies.