• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 2023 changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
AIUI, the XC timetable is the final version. May 23 though.

Do we know which others are finalised, and which might be subject to more cuts? It looks for instance like Northern East is finalised with some heavy cuts there, but Northern West isn't because the only thing that's been cut is DalesRail? What about WMT?

Mamorin

AIUI, the XC timetable is the final version. May 23 though.
Thanks for pointing out my mistake with the year, can't believe I made such a stupid mistake.

So none of those stations are getting their XC calls back?

If so that sucks. Also if XC go to single Voyagers on Manchester services then Congleton not getting its XC calls back is dumb, since those calls were only suspened due to double voyagers.

I'm sure the other stations I listed lost their XC calls for the same reason.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Thanks for pointing out my mistake with the year, can't believe I made such a stupid mistake.

So none of those stations are getting their XC calls back?

If so that sucks. Also if XC go to single Voyagers on Manchester services then Congleton not getting its XC calls back is dumb, since those calls were only suspened due to double voyagers.

I'm sure the other stations I listed lost their XC calls for the same reason.
Add Brockenhurst to that list as well.

Mamorin

XC's website says the serve Brockenhurst, I only listed the stations that had all their XC services cut.

Given Brockenhurst's high passanger usage figures I’m sure it might get its full XC timetable back at somepoint.

Unless the DFT say no that is.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Add Brockenhurst to that list as well.

With Brockenhurst being the gateway to the New Forest (the station is quite a bit more important than the tiny village it's in suggests), I'm surprised that isn't reinstated.

Edit: it appears to get five services in May, four on a weekend, which aren't that badly timed for weekends away or full day trips.

Goldfish62

Established Member
With Brockenhurst being the gateway to the New Forest (the station is quite a bit more important than the tiny village it's in suggests), I'm surprised that isn't reinstated.

Edit: it appears to get five services in May, four on a weekend, which aren't that badly timed for weekends away or full day trips.

Ah, my mistake. So it does. :)

Not sure what the excuse is for it being so limited rather than every train as before.

Mamorin

So other than Western Super Mare none of the other stations I listed are getting their XC call back?

Also Brockenhurst isn't going back to its pre-pandemic timetable? There was like at least 1TPH from Manchester to Brockenhurst pre-pandemic.

With over 700,000 passenger trips from Brockenhurst last year I would have thought Brockenhurst would get its pre-pandemic timetable back.

Liverpool 507

Cupar, Ladybank, Markinch, Kirkcaldy and Inverkeithing lose XC calls despite the heavy performance/pathing allowance to replicate the time of the calls at those stations. Leuchars has calls return.

James90012

I hope not. In May it looked like we finally got the long promised second EMR Derby to Nottingham service to bring the total to 4 an hour (2 EMR, 2 XC) and now it appears we have gained 1, lost 1.

If you scan through RTT, the Nottingham to Birmingham services disappear w/c 03/04/23 so perhaps it's a loading issue?

Edit: just noticed the ECS moves to Tyseley which must have been deliberately added so who knows!

dk1

Veteran Member
Audley End appears to only get XC calls on Stansted shuttles to/from Cambridge. Any Birmingham services continue to run non-stop South of Cambridge.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Is the the XC May 2023 timetable close to confirmed or confirmed? Just wondering if any of these stations are get ing their XC calls back? Or are these calls gone for good?
*Bath Spa
*Chester-le-Street
*Congleton
*Cupar
*Guildford
*Hayle
*Inverkeithing
*Kirkcaldy
*Ladybank
*Leuchars
*Lostwithiel
*Markinch
*Weston-super-mare
Inverkeithing, Kirkcaldy and Leuchars at the very least should be put in pretty quickly.

Congleton maybe each way once at both peak times.

Not seeing much reason to do a lot for the others, save for Guildford if you’ve got the units going up and down the Direct early and late for diversion retention.

Mamorin

Congleton maybe each way once at both peak times.
That would be a huge improvement for Congleton in the early morning.

As pre-pandemic Congleton only had very limited XC services at peak times, 1 train in the morning in the evenings Congleton would go down from 2 XC southbound services to 1 but would gain an extra service Northbound. Well that is Monday-Saterday

If your including Sundays then Sundays would be a huge improvement as the service at Congleton is poor on a Sunday.

Last edited:

sk688

Bath Spa's call was 1tpd , so I can't see that being put back

It's interesting that since COVID Bath has gone from being served by 3 operators to purely just GWR

Mamorin

Bath Spa's XC call are not coming back if it was 1tpd. I can't see the DFT saying 1tpd is value for money.

Brubulus

Audley End appears to only get XC calls on Stansted shuttles to/from Cambridge. Any Birmingham services continue to run non-stop South of Cambridge.
XC are going to run shuttles to Cambridge? I understand there are 2 in the late evening but will any more be added?

-Colly405-

Bath Spa's XC call are not coming back if it was 1tpd. I can't see the DFT saying 1tpd is value for money.
Bath Spa's call was 1tpd , so I can't see that being put back

It's interesting that since COVID Bath has gone from being served by 3 operators to purely just GWR
It was the first northbound 1Sxx of the day. Used to run empty from Barton Hill, reversing (at BPW or am I imagining that?) en route to Bath.

DDB

Matlock running through to Nottingham officially confirmed by EMR. Hopefully I have attached the letter that says this. In peaks they call at both Spondon and Attenborough. Off peak the calls alternate between the two.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1675879915072.jpg
    FB_IMG_1675879915072.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 133
  • FB_IMG_1675879930306.jpg
    FB_IMG_1675879930306.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 135

TransportHub

There are two trains over the Leigham spur from May in the up direction only

On Sundays the 9J London Bridge - Horsham have been removed with one of the 9R Bedford - Three Bridges extended to Horsham.
The Redhill Line sees a 50% cut to London Bridge services and Ilfield to Littlehaven a 50% cut to all stopping services

The Planner

Veteran Member
It was the first northbound 1Sxx of the day. Used to run empty from Barton Hill, reversing (at BPW or am I imagining that?) en route to Bath.
And was never put in place many moons ago because an exec member lived in Bath, absolutely not your honour.

WizCastro197

Established Member
On Sundays the 9J London Bridge - Horsham have been removed with one of the 9R Bedford - Three Bridges extended to Horsham.
The Redhill Line sees a 50% cut to London Bridge services and Ilfield to Littlehaven a 50% cut to all stopping services
It was like this before December albeit with a London Bridge-Horsham service hourly, with no Bedford- Three Bridges train. It won't be a massive shock either, to Redhill at least, as there are still the fast services to Victoria and the slower service in addition.

lammergeier

Looks like Cross Country may be reducing the Nottingham to Birmingham service to hourly as all of the local services have been removed and replaced with ECS paths between Nottingham and Tyseley depot.
I had to read that twice then check for myself and it appears you're right. I'm not entirely sure how replacing an in service train with an ECS one of the same length will save money? It's not going to reduce the number of staff required (perhaps guards if they wait at Nottingham) but certainly not drivers, fuel, maintainence etc. Not to mention an increase in dead time with crews being Taxi'd to and from Tyseley. Hopefully I've missed something obvious and it's not as mad as it first appears...?

LowLevel

Established Member
I had to read that twice then check for myself and it appears you're right. I'm not entirely sure how replacing an in service train with an ECS one of the same length will save money? It's not going to reduce the number of staff required (perhaps guards if they wait at Nottingham) but certainly not drivers, fuel, maintainence etc. Not to mention an increase in dead time with crews being Taxi'd to and from Tyseley. Hopefully I've missed something obvious and it's not as mad as it first appears...?
I suspect it's an error. No way they'd run a Nottingham - Tyseley empties each way every hour all timetable period. Makes no sense.

TransportHub

It was like this before December albeit with a London Bridge-Horsham service hourly, with no Bedford- Three Bridges train. It won't be a massive shock either, to Redhill at least, as there are still the fast services to Victoria and the slower service in addition.
Oh yeah my bad, getting the SX and Su confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.