• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and Eastern Scottish)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sannox

6001-6010 are VDL/Wright Pulsars, that Arriva bought for the 23. 2230-2239 are the Volvo Wright Eclipse Urbans that McGill's bought when they replaced the Dickson's fleet on the 38.

Both would make sense as given the age profile of the fleet probably makes sense to use some of the older McGill's vehicles which have been kept reasonable for their age. Some of the X38 buses looked incredibly tatty when I was in Linlithgow a few weeks back.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CN04NRJ

Established Member
There's certainly a bus lane on the eastbound M8 between Newbridge/Claylands (Junction 2) and Hermiston Gait (Junction 1), then bus lanes on the A8 and A71 into the city centre. But no operators seem willing to grasp this opportunity.

It's barely wide enough for a bus, limited to 40mph and frequently closed due to works or breakdowns. I certainly wouldn't want to use it unless M8 traffic was stationary due to how narrow it is.

Caught me by surprise so a bad phone photo, B7TL YN53EFP on the X24 in Edinburgh this afternoon. Will these be receiving new fleet numbers?

20221011_162326.jpg

Bus9120UK

Established Member
It's barely wide enough for a bus, limited to 40mph and frequently closed due to works or breakdowns. I certainly wouldn't want to use it unless M8 traffic was stationary due to how narrow it is.

Caught me by surprise so a bad phone photo, B7TL YN53EFP on the X24 in Edinburgh this afternoon. Will these be receiving new fleet numbers?

View attachment 122001
Most have. Should already be renumbered just not all have received them on the buses themselves. The example in your photo is here with number 2849.

Link opens bustimes.org page for YN53EFP

Last edited:

XAM2175

Established Member
Saw an X10-liveried bus in Glasgow yesterday that had had McGills fleet number stickers slapped on it and all the external instances of the word "First" removed... except for the big panel on the back reading "Live bus tracking on the First Bus app!" :p

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
So unsurprisingly it would appear that the transfer of Xplore Dundee’s 11 E200mmc’s has allowed McGill’s to withdraw the remaining Wright Solars that were still in service. Clearly this is just the start of First vehicles being phased out, and I have to wonder where those Solars will end up next?

It will be interesting to see what the Pulsar2’s are replacing. I wonder how long the OmniDekka’s and B7TL’s will last though given the fact that there‘s no suitable replacement as yet. Could the sole Enviro400 in the main McGill’s fleet J8960 move across perhaps? I’ve often considered the Eclipse2’s from both the main McGill’s fleet and also from Xplore Dundee. A handful of standard Enviro200’s could be good for some routes too.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I’ve often considered the Eclipse2’s from both the main McGill’s fleet and also from Xplore Dundee. A handful of standard Enviro200’s could be good for some routes too.
The B7RLEs which were in reserve at Dundee have been reinstated replacing the Enviro200 MMCs which have transferred to Scotland East, so I doubt they'll be going anywhere anytime soon.

Last edited:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
The B7RLEs which were in reserve at Dundee have been reinstated replacing the Enviro200 MMCs which have transferred to Scotland East, so they I doubt they'll be going anywhere anytime soon.
Didn’t know that, but it seems like a logical decision. Thanks. From what I’ve heard many of the Xplore drivers were glad to see the back of them.

Observer

So unsurprisingly it would appear that the transfer of Xplore Dundee’s 11 E200mmc’s has allowed McGill’s to withdraw the remaining Wright Solars that were still in service. Clearly this is just the start of First vehicles being phased out, and I have to wonder where those Solars will end up next?

It will be interesting to see what the Pulsar2’s are replacing. I wonder how long the OmniDekka’s and B7TL’s will last though given the fact that there‘s no suitable replacement as yet. Could the sole Enviro400 in the main McGill’s fleet J8960 move across perhaps? I’ve often considered the Eclipse2’s from both the main McGill’s fleet and also from Xplore Dundee. A handful of standard Enviro200’s could be good for some routes too.
Probably going to have to go through the dealers to get something decent if they can't get enough they need out of the reserve stock, especially double deckers. I doubt they'll do anything with J8960 as it's in their heritage fleet now.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I wonder why the Dundee drivers were glad to see the back of those Enviros? Don't get me wrong I am in complete sympathy with them but I just wonder if the vehicles have particular issues that are going to cause further chaos at Scotland East.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I wonder why the Dundee drivers were glad to see the back of those enviro? Don't get me wrong I am incomplete sympathy with them but I just wonder if the vehicles have particular issues that are going to cause further chaos at Scotland East
I wonder what it was as well. I think as time goes on McGill’s won’t treat Scotland East as badly as First did when it came to cascades. Put it this way the E200mmc’s can only be an improvement for Scotland East, and that maybe says more about how bad the Scotland East fleet really is.

I wonder what it was as well. I think as time goes on McGill’s won’t treat Scotland East as badly as First did when it came to cascades. Put it this way the E200mmc’s can only be an improvement for Scotland East, and that maybe says more about how bad the Scotland East fleet really is.
I really don't think the fleet is as bad as some make it out to be. Yes the Urbans are old, but all the ones I've ever been on have still been waterproof/dry; had working heating; were clean inside; had windows that operated properly; even if the seat covers were worn, they were always clean; were reasonably clean on the outside (i.e. no long-term/permanent scratches); had working and bright destination displays; the interior was always well-lit; etc. None of their vehicles, that I've seen, have been out while spewing smoke out their exhaust.

Yes there are areas where huge improvements could be made in terms of vehicles, but personally I would be happy if they just managed to sort out the unplanned cancellations and left the fleet as-is for now.
That said, are the oldest vehicles compliant with the upcoming Low Emission Zone ("LEZ")? If not then they'll need replaced anyway.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
The solars have no future. Old, worn out, rare the last with First so can’t see them having a future

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I really don't think the fleet is as bad as some make it out to be. Yes the Urbans are old, but all the ones I've ever been on have still been waterproof/dry; had working heating; were clean inside; had windows that operated properly; even if the seat covers were worn, they were always clean; were reasonably clean on the outside (i.e. no long-term/permanent scratches); had working and bright destination displays; the interior was always well-lit; etc. None of their vehicles, that I've seen, have been out while spewing smoke out their exhaust.

Yes there are areas where huge improvements could be made in terms of vehicles, but personally I would be happy if they just managed to sort out the unplanned cancellations and left the fleet as-is for now.
That said, are the oldest vehicles compliant with the upcoming Low Emission Zone ("LEZ")? If not then they'll need replaced anyway.
By modern standards the Scotland East fleet is pretty bad, and was easily one of the worst if not the worst of any First division in the country. The state of the 09 plate Eclipse I was on a couple of weeks back was nothing short of a disgrace, and this was a recent repaint as well. It still had the original seat moquette, dust everywhere, loads of visible rust spots on the inside and the outside, many bent panels, rattles, scratches and it hadn’t looked like it’d be cleaned in a few days either. Some of these problems are easily rectified and others are down purely to the way First looked after them. The main McGill’s fleet are like night and day in terms of presentation, so hopefully those standards are adopted at Scotland East. I can tell this is a Scotland East problem as the 53 plate Gemini I was on the other day was way better, a bus that has spent the majority of its working life in Glasgow.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
McGill's have always had very smart well designed interiors on their buses.
I think the fact that guys like Ralph Roberts are enthusiasts majorly helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
By modern standards the Scotland East fleet is pretty bad, and was easily one of the worst if not the worst of any First division in the country. The state of the 09 plate Eclipse I was on a couple of weeks back was nothing short of a disgrace, and this was a recent repaint as well. It still had the original seat moquette, dust everywhere, loads of visible rust spots on the inside and the outside, many bent panels, rattles, scratches and it hadn’t looked like it’d be cleaned in a few days either. Some of these problems are easily rectified and others are down purely to the way First looked after them. The main McGill’s fleet are like night and day in terms of presentation, so hopefully those standards are adopted at Scotland East. I can tell this is a Scotland East problem as the 53 plate Gemini I was on the other day was way better, a bus that has spent the majority of its working life in Glasgow.
First Scotland East was a mess. First had given up on it long ago. Buses went there to die. It received so little in the way of investment and anything it did receive was run into the ground and not looked after. They had half a** paint jobs, a good chunk of the fleet were in barbie while the other were in the two tone blue livery, Olympia and some in the latest urban. That’s 4 different liveries - one of which was phased out 10 years ago. Not the biggest deal in the world but a sign that First had completely given up and had no attention to detail.

It looked even worse up against Lothian their competitor who just did it better. I understand they have different funding, however W plate Scania L94s up against brand spanking new singles doesn’t look good. Too many excuses were made for First just being bad and I’m glad they have given up. I hope the people of FSE get a service they deserve.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
First Scotland East was a mess. First had given up on it long ago. Buses went there to die. It received so little in the way of investment and anything it did receive was run into the ground and not looked after. They had half a** paint jobs, a good chunk of the fleet were in barbie while the other were in the two tone blue livery, Olympia and some in the latest urban. That’s 4 different liveries - one of which was phased out 10 years ago. Not the biggest deal in the world but a sign that First had completely given up and had no attention to detail.

It looked even worse up against Lothian their competitor who just did it better. I understand they have different funding, however W plate Scania L94s up against brand spanking new singles doesn’t look good. Too many excuses were made for First just being bad and I’m glad they have given up. I hope the people of FSE get a service they deserve.
I completely agree. I remember 10 years ago the stock that Musselburgh depot had. My word it was bad. The newest at the time I think we’re 55 plates, compared to then East Lothian Buses which had just added a fleet of brand new buses, and have consistently continued to do so as time has gone on.

I think McGill’s will improve the fleet dramatically. They seem like the sort of operator that cares about presentation and an overall good reputation.

Observer

I saw one of the ex-Dundee E200MMCs with Midland Bluebird stickers earlier so it does seem they're making a start on dealing with missing branding.

Needless to say I think they should have got white ones for those, or at least white background stickers....doesn't look very good with the green paint.

They've also started putting adverts at the rear windows recruiting for drivers, at £12 per hour.

I saw one of the ex-Dundee E200MMCs with Midland Bluebird stickers earlier so it does seem they're making a start on dealing with missing branding.

Needless to say I think they should have got white ones for those, or at least white background stickers....doesn't look very good with the green paint.

They've also started putting adverts at the rear windows recruiting for drivers, at £12 per hour.
There's a Volvo B7RLE/Wright Eclipse Urban with the new logos - being 2295 (SN09 EZX)

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
So is 8960 moving across then? I was told by a friend that it was and it appears to have been changed on bustimes as well.

The Pulsar2’s can’t be far off moving across either.

wlbusser

Why would there be buses going on the M9? Saw two tracking there a short time ago both in different directions as x38 then one is tracking again just now heading to Edinburgh alongside an a x38 around the same area but in Linlithgow heading to Edinburgh.

Just for timing, to make up journeys or what?
There's 2 buses in Linlithgow going either direction and 2 buses heading to Falkirk on one nearby Ratho St and one in Edinburgh Regent Rd

Observer

Why would there be buses going on the M9? Saw two tracking there a short time ago both in different directions as x38 then one is tracking again just now heading to Edinburgh alongside an a x38 around the same area but in Linlithgow heading to Edinburgh.

Just for timing, to make up journeys or what?
There's 2 buses in Linlithgow going either direction and 2 buses heading to Falkirk on one nearby Ratho St and one in Edinburgh Regent Rd
Usually if there's an accident somewhere or planned roadworks that has no suitable alternative route they get diverted.

Christmas

I noticed on Flickr that the Midland Bluebird vinyls adorn at least one Wright bodied bus in shabby First livery.

Mal

According to the fleetlist on ukbuses website, I notice there are duplicated numbers; 0405 and 0406 at both Dundee and Larbert. There are also 2850 - 2855 at both Dundee and Livingston. Does anyone know if there are plans to renumber these?
Additionally, what plans are there for the ex-First buses which have 5digit numbers?

(If this has been asked before, please feel free to delete.)

alphabravo43

According to the fleetlist on ukbuses website, I notice there are duplicated numbers; 0405 and 0406 at both Dundee and Larbert. There are also 2850 - 2855 at both Dundee and Livingston. Does anyone know if there are plans to renumber these?
Additionally, what plans are there for the ex-First buses which have 5digit numbers?

(If this has been asked before, please feel free to delete.)
I think I remember seeing somewhere that the original 2850-2855 were going to renumber into the 2900 serires along with the Midland, ex Aberdeen B9TL's. Not sure about 0405 and 0406 though.
I would imagine that most of the buses that still 'carry' the old fleet numbers probably have actually been renumbered as I've had a wee look and they would appear to fit into the sequence gaps, whether they will actually carry them in use is another matter as they are out of use just now. Depending on McGill's fleet plans they may end up just being replaced.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
My first journey with Eastern Scottish didn't go particularly well yesterday, although not through the fault of anyone at that operation I suspect. The bus was a Streetlite working the EX22 and it was sounding alarms every time the the door was opened. It started sounding a continuous symphony of alarms and faults and alerts and the journey was abandoned at Hermiston park and ride. I felt very sorry for the driver who was lovely and and deserved neither the rubbish bus or the hassle of an early termination. Credit where due, she managed to to nurse the thing a few miles further on in order to reach the park and ride to allow more options for for her passengers.

stevenedin

I’ve noticed a lot of the streetlites in particular looking very tired. You would think they were 17+ years old. They are only 8-9 years old. Maybe they can be fixed up or McGill’s may end up selling them off who knows.

Ricky Kane

I think I remember seeing somewhere that the original 2850-2855 were going to renumber into the 2900 serires along with the Midland, ex Aberdeen B9TL's. Not sure about 0405 and 0406 though.
I would imagine that most of the buses that still 'carry' the old fleet numbers probably have actually been renumbered as I've had a wee look and they would appear to fit into the sequence gaps, whether they will actually carry them in use is another matter as they are out of use just now. Depending on McGill's fleet plans they may end up just being replaced.
2851-2855 were changed to 2904-2909.

wlbusser

I noticed on Flickr that the Midland Bluebird vinyls adorn at least one Wright bodied bus in shabby First livery.
I noticed that too on a bus I was on, I mean it is a nice vinyl but definitely a shabby bus to show it off on.

Status
Not open for further replies.