• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and Eastern Scottish)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenedin

I’d definitely like to see a faster version, if nothing else. Follow the same route as far as Newbridge (maybe include an Airport stop), then up the M9 to J3, then serve Linlithgow and follow the X38 route through to Falkirk. I reckon it could move more rail passengers over to the buses if a competitive day return was offered. Maybe even run it with coaches.

Selfishly, I’d like to see Midland try to compete with the Citylink 909, as an Edinburgh - Airport - Bo’ness - Grangemouth - Falkirk run, maybe serve all stops through the main road in Bo’ness & Grangemouth to offer more connections too
First tried an X9 in the past running along the M9 but it wasn’t used well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Metal Mickey

The Linlithgow-Winchburgh-Edinburgh corridor isn’t a great market and unfortunately there isn’t enough trade for 2 operators.

Lothian Country tried it for 5 months and pulled it when Covid hit and haven’t since put it back on.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Unless you can find a faster way of coming out of Edinburgh that's less susceptible to the traffic and other related horrors of the city centre then you're just not going to compete with a bus service on any flow to the west,
You only need take a look at the timetable for any of the services the x38 the 900 the nine oh nine etc and you all soon see that a huge percentage of the running time on them is actually getting in and out of Edinburgh itself. Anyhow I fear this may be drifting off topic

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Looking at the journey cancellation page on the McGill's Scotland East website, I'm surprised it was worthwhile opening the gates to Livingston depot today.

Oh wait, that would've meant that FlixBus and Bright Bus wouldn't've been able to operate. Never mind...

NorthClyde320

Looking at the journey cancellation page on the McGill's Scotland East website, I'm surprised it was worthwhile opening the gates to Livingston depot today.

Oh wait, that would've meant that FlixBus and Bright Bus wouldn't've been able to operate. Never mind...
It's absolutely shocking tbh and no doubt no punishment will be handed out, yet if it was a small private operator they would be up in front of the traffic commissioner and would probably fined or suffer a reduced authorization. Imo I think the Scotland East licence should be revoked and the 170 discs handed back, though they would just transfer the remaining services onto the Midland Bluebird or Loch Lomond licences I guess.

Will there even be enough drivers left to operate the remaining services come Monday and the new Airport service in January?

Last edited by a moderator:

roadierway77

It's a pathetic end to a pathetic operation. 66% of services were cancelled in some form on the 25 today, with the last bus back to Armadale being at 16:25 - all later departures are cancelled; 55% of scheduled trips cancelled in some form on the 23, with only two trips operating as scheduled between Broxburn and Shotts. Massive gaps in service - such as a three hour gap between the 12:11 and 15:11 services from Bathgate on the 26 with all services in-between cancelled entirely, not to mention another 2 hour gap between the 15:11 and 17:11 - has become commonplace in West Lothian. I'm writing these statistics here so that the failure of Eastern Scottish is not understated in any way in the future.

I made a trip to West Lothian yesterday in an attempt to travel on all of the services but doing so was impossible given how many cancellations there were. It's disappointing that Lothian Country's services will operate at a lower timetabled frequency, but provided they run services reliably, it'll be a welcome increase in frequency in real terms and help to restore trust in public transport.

Lothianbus703

I counted 25/32 Livingston service vehicles as not being out today due to the loss of the West Lothian locals, I expect buses to be withdrawn/transferred/storage this might be the end for the last former first B7RLE in service "2303", it could go on though.

I counted 25/32 Livingston service vehicles as not being out today due to the loss of the West Lothian locals, I expect buses to be withdrawn/transferred/storage this might be the end for the last former first B7RLE in service "2303", it could go on though.
It's Euro 6 so could be used elsewhere or sold on.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Most will go for the bin considering the state of a lot of them. Best condition Streetlites will go to the other 2 depots with the rest being sold or scrapped. 2303 definitely not staying with McGills

It's a pathetic end to a pathetic operation. 66% of services were cancelled in some form on the 25 today, with the last bus back to Armadale being at 16:25 - all later departures are cancelled; 55% of scheduled trips cancelled in some form on the 23, with only two trips operating as scheduled between Broxburn and Shotts. Massive gaps in service - such as a three hour gap between the 12:11 and 15:11 services from Bathgate on the 26 with all services in-between cancelled entirely, not to mention another 2 hour gap between the 15:11 and 17:11 - has become commonplace in West Lothian. I'm writing these statistics here so that the failure of Eastern Scottish is not understated in any way in the future.

I made a trip to West Lothian yesterday in an attempt to travel on all of the services but doing so was impossible given how many cancellations there were. It's disappointing that Lothian Country's services will operate at a lower timetabled frequency, but provided they run services reliably, it'll be a welcome increase in frequency in real terms and help to restore trust in public transport.
It seems unlikely anyone will mourn the demise of these routes or mark the last day of proper "Eastern Scottish" operation in any affectionate way. The brand may make a return some day and perhaps Lothian Country's fleet colours bear sufficient resemblance to the Eastern Scottish glory days and keep West Lothian travellers happy.
Maybe Lothian Country frequencies can be increased using single deck operation if the labour shortage eases a bit. I'm not advocating the drivers work for lower wages but things might settle down over the next 6-12 months.

Baileygirl

A lot of the Streetlights might be sold to First Glasgow. 0445/14/7/9/24/70/4 have already been sold.

stantheman

On Moderation
A green vehicle, presumably 0468, passed my house on the A70 in Balerno heading east about an hour ago. I assumed it was a positioning move to take up service on the 63 or 20, but bus times shows no sign of it. Any idea what it was doing?

2303 has entered service with Midland Bluebird on the Service 4 according to Bustimes.org.
I had a feeling it would get utilised somewhere, It was obviously one of the better B7RLEs for it to be in use everyday at Livingston, heard a few drivers say it was a flyer, it's in fairly good nick interior wise with it being an old First Southampton and having had a refurbish at somepoint with Thorntons and obviously like I've mentioned before it's Euro 6 compliant so I don't think that would be sitting around gathering dust just quite yet, If it's in Larbert then it's a good spare if for whatever reason it's sat in the depot for an X38 to Edinburgh regardless of the LEZ starting next year or the X37 into Glasgow.

A green vehicle, presumably 0468, passed my house on the A70 in Balerno heading east about an hour ago. I assumed it was a positioning move to take up service on the 63 or 20, but bus times shows no sign of it. Any idea what it was doing?
Bustimes.org would only update for McGill's when the vehicle is in service, that's why it's not tracking on it.

As I've mentioned a few times previously, I never said it wasn't.
You stated "regardless of the LEZ starting next year", though.

Bustimes.org would only update for McGill's when the vehicle is in service, that's why it's not tracking on it.

You stated "regardless of the LEZ starting next year", though.
If you read my previous posts in this chat I've mentioned this bus being Euro 6 numerous times, Of course regardless of the LEZ because it's Euro 6 so it's exempt, you've taken that out of context.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Okay, let's stop the silly bickering, please.

On another note, when referring to sources such as bustimes.org, please post the direct link to the information; simply referring to the main page is not sufficient. The relevant information from the source should be copied and pasted into your post, and enclosed within quote tags (no screenshots).

NorthClyde320

I thought or I guess hoped McGill's may have transferred some McGill's liveried Enviro 200s or possibly Stratas to operate the remaining Livingston depot supported services. This would allow the last remnants of First liveried buses to be gone and have a kind of fresh start even if it may only be for a short time till an announcement is made regarding the council supported services.

On a driver shuttle perhaps?

Volvodart

Established Member
I thought or I guess hoped McGill's may have transferred some McGill's liveried Enviro 200's or poss Strata's to operate the remaining Livingston depot supported services to allow the last remnants of First liveried buses to be gone and have a kind of fresh start even if it may only be for a short time till an announcement is made reg the council supported services.
I would have thought Streetlites were ideal buses to run the services until the new contracts start, rather than confuse the passengers with other liveries.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
The timetable for the new McGill's Airport service is linked here: https://bustimes.org/services/airx-edinburgh-edinburgh-airport

There are more stops than previously suggested, those being Roseburn and Shandwick Place (West End). Shandwick Place to Airport is scheduled to be 1 minute shorter than Lothian's 100 during the day. Both are scheduled to take 29 minutes on route Westbound including differences during the day. McGill's have not upped timings during peak time, so delays could be expected.

McGill's will operate an every 10 minute frequency between 4am and 7am (Lothian operate every 8 minutes between 4am and 5:20am only), otherwise overall every 15 minutes. Frequency being every 30 minutes from 9pm is weak compared to Lothian's every 10.

They are using Stand E at the Airport shared with the Dundee FLY service. Not sure if that could be the difference between success and failure really, how many people walk out the Airport from that exit compared to the other?

Last edited:
They are using Stand E at the Airport shared with the Dundee FLY service. Not sure if that could be the difference between success and failure really, how many people walk out the Airport from that exit compared to the other?
Especially with the signs directing you to the main exit/entrance where Airlink is.

Not many who are looking for public transport, I'd imagine. The stands at that end are by Departures and the main route to some of the multi-storey car parks. But if you're arriving and looking for public transport, you'll definitely head out the other exit as @LothianBusesPh says.

It’s a dead venture even before it has officially started.

Reliability is what I also will be watching come the rollout of said service.

It’s a dead venture even before it has officially started.

Reliability is what I also will be watching come the rollout of said service.
I certainly doubt it'll pick up much if any custom among people who work at the airport, most of whom will almost certainly have a Ridacard if they use public transport.

Status
Not open for further replies.