• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Meanwhile, in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

PR1Berske

Established Member
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-19/train-drivers-ordered-to-bypass-stations/3959738/?site=melbourne

Metro spokesman Daniel Hoare says he understands some commuters are inconvenienced, but the strategy is designed to ensure the majority of passengers arrive on time.

"This is an approach that we have always used in the past following major incidents, it's something now that we are applying at other times as a way of trying to claw back lost time," he said.

"It's a way of trying to benefit the greater majority particularly during peak times when there is a fault.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DownSouth

Established Member
The operator of Melbourne's train system is MTR. Take note all ye who would rather they get franchises in the UK than the devils you already know!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
It happens in the UK too, to help recover services. The likes of @Suburban_Guard on twitter, who works for SWT, often mentions the fury of passengers who miss his announcements about it due to their headphones.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Whether this is a problem or not totally depends on the service frequency. If there's a train every 10 minutes, then it's absolutely a good idea for trains to skip stops to maintain a regular service. If there's only a train every 30 or 60 minutes, not so much. Looking at Metro's timetables it appears some lines have a roughly 30-minute frequency whilst others are better than every 10 minutes.

Of course if it's happening frequently then it's symptomatic of something more serious gone wrong.

Also:

meanwhile.jpg

Established Member
That Connex photo reminds of the (real) photo where the Connex Melbourne destination blind was set up to read "This train is ******."

Connex Melbourne are no more, the state government binned them in 2009. I was there at the time.

CC 72100

Established Member
Does this not also happen in the UK? I've seen people complain on Facebook and train trackers show some stations as cancelled (eg. Plymouth 28 late, Liskeard cancelled, Par 25 late) etc. when FGW Pad - penzance services are running late in Cornwall?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Does this not also happen in the UK? I've seen people complain on Facebook and train trackers show some stations as cancelled (eg. Plymouth 28 late, Liskeard cancelled, Par 25 late) etc. when FGW Pad - penzance services are running late in Cornwall?

Yes, it does. One can be waiting at a station for a train which seems to be getting later and later, then suddenly cancelled, then said train comes through non-stop.

I've been on a Cheltenham-London service which was announced would be running non-stop to Paddington from Swindon and was only about 15 minutes late! I don't really see a huge problem with it, so long as there's a train following behind which passengers can use.

Aussie_Rail

Matt Taylor

Established Member
It happens in the UK too, to help recover services. The likes of @Suburban_Guard on twitter, who works for SWT, often mentions the fury of passengers who miss his announcements about it due to their headphones.

I do indeed;)

People assume that it is because SWT wants to improve it's performance stats but the reality is that it is done to try and ensure as few people as possible are inconvenienced. There is no slack on the Shepperton line so a train that is 15 late at 9am would still be 5-10 late in the afternoon. By running it fast east of Kingston you have a greater chance of recovering the delay.

Aussie_Rail

When was the last Connex Train repainted?
Well, they are not repainted. They remove decals and place new decals on the trains. I think the last trains to be done were towards the end of last year, could be wrong. But I doubt there were any in Connex livery still running at the start of the year.

Aussie Rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.