• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Medical and a career as signaller

Status
Not open for further replies.

astoker88

I am extremely interested in a career at network rail. I am currently serving in the armed forces and shortly will be medically discharged because of the medical criteria. However civilian medicals are different and wanted to ask anyone with a diagnosis of epilepsy and been seizure free for nearly 15 months will this hamper me in my medical. My neurologist has declared me fit to work and I am interested in a career as signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chumba

I am extremely interested in a career at network rail. I am currently serving in the armed forces and shortly will be medically discharged because of the medical criteria. However civilian medicals are different and wanted to ask anyone with a diagnosis of epilepsy and been seizure free for nearly 15 months will this hamper me in my medical. My neurologist has declared me fit to work and I am interested in a career as signaller

https://catalogues.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/GOGN3655 Iss 2.pdf

The above guide doesn’t actually deal with epilepsy, but general medical standards although it does deal with diabetes. The safety critical medical takes into account All sorts of issues around health and it’s how you manage your health. OH would take into account lots of things not just you’ve had seizures in the past. It would also depend where you would be working (single manned box or multi manned location) for One thing. I remember reading a signaller who was diabetic couldn’t work single manned.

if you are interested it might be worth contacting the OH provider and asking the question, you wouldn’t want to spend ages applying etc to be told no at medical. Or hopefully a signaller will come along who has the condition and may be able to give a definitive answer.

good luck whatever you do.

Stigy

Established Member
I can’t answer the question definitively, but at a location where you’d not be working alone, I can’t see epilepsy being a problem. It may be different in other safety critical roles on the railway, or if you’re required to work alone I’d imagine. Best bet would be as has been suggested and check with the Occ Health at NWR.

Best of luck!

Rockhopper

Have you got your driving licence back? That’d be a good pointer as to how well you are doing.

astoker88

Have you got your driving licence back? That’d be a good pointer as to how well you are doing.
I have been informed I am allowed to drive again which is significant so I see it as a positive work wise. My neurologist says I'm fit to work again. I am actually swimming and diving again which is another pointer as in my health. I only was discharged from the armed forces only because of operational capability

Status
Not open for further replies.