• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Medical for Govia/Thameslink/Great Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim123

Afternoon All,

I know that there is plenty of information on here regarding the medicals but it seems to be scattered all over the site and it seems to vary quite a bit from TOC to TOC so, is there anyone on here who has had a medical in the last few months/weeks for Govia/FCC at grays inn road who can shed some light on what actually happens?

I've heard about blood/urine tests, ecg's, drawing squares on peices of paper and dropping them on the floor etc but i just wanted to get a good feel of what i'm going into next week.

Thanks gents!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Polar

On arrival you fill out forms of consent and health questionnaire. Then a nurse will take you into room check id check your pockets etc.
Then eye test, blood pressure, height and weight then ecg. Then alcohol and drugs tests.
Then taken to the not so sound proof box to do hearing test you have to listen very carefully!
After that went to see doctor first off he makes you pick a name and address off a list and you have to memorise it and he will ask you what it is during the exam.
Does loads of different movement tests and peripheral vision test.
Asks you to do things like copy a shape off a sheet by drawing it and some other bits like folding asheet of paper with one hand. Will ask questions on medical history.
Think thats all!

They tell you at bupa on the day if you have passed but its the drugs test and confirmation from gtr you have to wait a couple of days for.

rey89iceman

Got mine coming up to mate. Is that at Kings Cross area?

A friend of mine just qualified and said that it is pretty much alcohol/drugs test, ECG, hearing test, eyesight test, blood pressure tests, balance/mobility tests.

Would like to know if anyone else knows anything though!

HawkeyeTheNoo

I have a medical for Scotrail next week with Bupa and I assume it'll take the same format. I am a bit overweight however although because of my height it doesn't show too badly. I am working on it though and know after a couple of tests last year that my bloodwork is good, my lungs and heart are healthy. Will being overweight fail me?

Jim123

Thanks Polar, much appreciated. Good bit of detail there...!

Just out of curiosity, what kind of exam is it? I don't want any answers but am curious as to what kind of exam you'd get at a medical!

I got the nod last week and the position is at Blackfriars. If the medical goes ok i'm due to start training on the 7th Jan.

Weight wise there's an issue with me but, i'm an active individual, blood pressure is fine etc and, i'm losing weight so we'll see!

Polar

Hello

I just ment the medical exam as in the movement exercises etc dont worry there is no exam type exam!

Unless you are have a really high bmi I really wouldnt worry!

Good luck guys

pethadine82

On Moderation
is there a blood test where the nurse inserts a canula to take blood samples and sends it to a lab?

whoosh

Established Member
It's about a 5 to 10 minute walk from Kings Cross.

Status
Not open for further replies.