• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Medical questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LokiB

I've got a medical in a few weeks for a conductor role.

How long do they take roughly as I need to get my timings sorted for the day?

Also, is it done on a case by case basis? I've got a bit of a bad back and have a check up on it every year or so which sometimes involves an injection (doesn't effect movement, I do lots of walking/weight lifting and don't have time off work with it).
Is this likely to be a stumbling block? Obviously would be devastated to get this far and fall at the last hurdle.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Comfy

My driver medical took about 2 hours. Injury wise I would just be honest and let them know about it when they ask but let them know you are not affected at work with it or day to day. I'd be tempted to find out if you still need the checks and/or get a letter from the hospital to say you are fit to work / not affected by it or something like that.

LokiB

My driver medical took about 2 hours. Injury wise I would just be honest and let them know about it when they ask but let them know you are not affected at work with it or day to day. I'd be tempted to find out if you still need the checks and/or get a letter from the hospital to say you are fit to work / not affected by it or something like that.
Thanks Comfy.
Good idea, I'll get in touch with them and see if they can write me a letter confirming that it doesn't affect my work.
End of the day I have to be honest with them as would only cause problems down the line if the TOC found out I lied.
What will be will be as they say.

LCC106

Established Member
Just make sure you declare all injuries, any treatment and medication - just in case meds show up on screening as well as to let them understand if any adjustments may be needed.

Lmc1976

I had a conductor medical today, 90 minutes which included a uniform fitting session.
As per the previous answers be completely honest with injuries/meds etc it would be more devastating to be hooked out of the job once you’ve started for any bending of the truth at the medical stage, I’m sure you will be just fine.

LokiB

Thanks for the advice everyone. Yeah just going to be totally upfront about it. I'm not on medication for it so won't need to declare that so hopefully that will go in my favour.

LokiB

An update.
I've now had my medical, was upfront about everything and have been passed fit.
I don't do drugs or anything so can't see that been an issue so it appears I may be starting my new career shortly.
What a relief, safe to say I'm over the moon.

NorthernTech

An update.
I've now had my medical, was upfront about everything and have been passed fit.
I don't do drugs or anything so can't see that been an issue so it appears I may be starting my new career shortly.
What a relief, safe to say I'm over the moon.
Congratulations

Status
Not open for further replies.