• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Medical Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madav2018

Hi all,

I'm looking for some genuine advice please (no judgement!) Like I'm sure many people, I have been having a really tough time during lockdown, being furloughed and then made redundant and my partner losing a big contract, and I've been drinking a LOT more alcohol than usual :'(. I am very pleased and lucky to say that I was successful at interview and have been offered a non safety critical role within railway, and I have a medical next week as is their standard process. I am obviously going to abstain from drinking any alcohol between now and then (4 days time) but I am worried that regularly drinking for the past 8 or 9 weeks may jeopardise the alcohol test? Does anyone have any insight into this? I am kicking myself now as I really want this job... I didn't expect to get it as I didn't hear back for almost 2 weeks and therefore assumed I had been unsuccessful, hence not detoxing sooner (plus being depressed thinking I hadn't got the job!)

Should I be worried? I believe the test is via urine sample.

Friendly advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RightAwayGuy

Usually the alcohol is tested by way of breathalyser and drugs are tested by way of urine analysis. Railway medicals include both tests. As a general rule I don't drink 24 hours before a medical and I have never failed one yet.

Madav2018

Usually the alcohol is tested by way of breathalyser and drugs are tested by way of urine analysis. Railway medicals include both tests. As a general rule I don't drink 24 hours before a medical and I have never failed one yet.
Thank you

Chrisy89

Your no gonna fail a medical for drinking last week ffs lol , if Youv been on the dust then it’s an issue lol

RightAwayGuy

And obviously if anyone has been 'on the dust' then they will in all probability fail the test and rightfully so. I personally wouldn't feel safe working with colleagues who choose to take drugs in their free time, hence why I support our D&A policies so strongly.

Stigy

Established Member
You’ll be fine. You’ve been drinking no more than anyone else I’d imagine, it’s just that being furloughed encourages more of it than usual. I’d imagine if you’re anything like me, you’ve put on weight too? :D

For a non-safety critical role I wouldn’t be surprised if they only tested for drugs anyway, and not alcohol. It was a few years ago when I had my first medical, but that was non-safety critical at the time, and they did a urine test, but only to test for drugs as far as I remember? It may all be different now though so don’t quite me on it. Good luck!

Stigy

Established Member
It varies from TOC to TOC, I’ve never been breathalysed, but had both tests (drugs and alcohol) carried out by urine sample.

Eggs&Bacon

Has anyone had a medical for a Trainee Train Driver position recently,.? Specifically GWR.?

Madav2018

And obviously if anyone has been 'on the dust' then they will in all probability fail the test and rightfully so. I personally wouldn't feel safe working with colleagues who choose to take drugs in their free time, hence why I support our D&A policies so strongly.
I completely agree. Never touched drugs in my life so I've got no worries there

Madav2018

You’ll be fine. You’ve been drinking no more than anyone else I’d imagine, it’s just that being furloughed encourages more of it than usual. I’d imagine if you’re anything like me, you’ve put on weight too? :D

For a non-safety critical role I wouldn’t be surprised if they only tested for drugs anyway, and not alcohol. It was a few years ago when I had my first medical, but that was non-safety critical at the time, and they did a urine test, but only to test for drugs as far as I remember? It may all be different now though so don’t quite me on it. Good luck!
Thanks so much for your response. They have only mentioned a urine test so far so I'm not sure if they will test for both within that or do a breathalyser as well. I'm probably worrying for nothing but a securing a job becomes so much more vital when you have been made redundant with a young family!

BloominMan

If you don't do drugs and don't drink a day or two before, I absolutely guarantee you, you will not fail.

Eggs&Bacon

Not recently, but what did you need to know? Or were you just seeing how things are moving?

Am just seeing how things are moving. But, wondered if medicals are carried out at Doctors Surgerys.? Or do TOCS/FOCS do medicals in house.? I've had medicals before that have been done in house by companies at their HQ.

TheGoldfish

Has anyone had a medical for a Trainee Train Driver position recently,.? Specifically GWR.?

I had one for GWR on 21st May at Reading .... all the testing stuff done by an OH person ..then a sit down with the dr to go through the results ?

Eggs&Bacon

I had one for GWR on 21st May at Reading .... all the testing stuff done by an OH person ..then a sit down with the dr to go through the results ?

For what depot/position mate.? Had mine cancelled, which was on the 4th May for a course starting in August, albeit in Swindon. Wasn't given another option either. Hope you passed

TheGoldfish

For what depot/position mate.? Had mine cancelled, which was on the 4th May for a course starting in August, albeit in Swindon. Wasn't given another option either. Hope you passed

Mine as originally booked for end of April .... but postponed till May .... I was told a provisional course start in August but not been confirmed yet .... yep passed with no issues ... it’s for trainee driver out of Paddington ....

Eggs&Bacon

Mine as originally booked for end of April .... but postponed till May .... I was told a provisional course start in August but not been confirmed yet .... yep passed with no issues ... it’s for trainee driver out of Paddington ....

Strange, mine was for Paddington too. Fingers crossed it happens soon, for both of us.

Woody27

You guys always give out invaluable advice, if I ever make signaller, nothing would give me greater pleasure, than buying you all a drink!!

Hannahe

Hi guys
I am awaiting a medical for a Revenue control officer
Does anyone know if there is a weight limit to pass? i am on the larger size but very fit and have no mobility problems
Thanks in advance

Stigy

Established Member
Hi guys
I am awaiting a medical for a Revenue control officer
Does anyone know if there is a weight limit to pass? i am on the larger size but very fit and have no mobility problems
Thanks in advance
No, should be fine. It’ll be a nom-safety critical role anyway so I doubt they would be that interested in BMI etc.

AngusYoung

I had my medical at 9am yesterday morning in Manchester with Medigold, which was a bit of a drama as when I arrived at 8:30 the intercom system informed myself that the offices were closed due to COVID19 pandemic.

Anyway after waiting outside the car park for 40 minutes a lady came out the building and let me in and was wandering why no one had arrived for medicals.

Hearing test was a bit odd as it was done out of the booth and you could hear every sound in the medical centre. All in all medical went ok now just waiting the outcome of the drugs test.

Chrisy89

I am same , have had my contract sent out for opp off track , signed and ha day medical last Friday , just awaiting results and hopefully get a start date through ASAP

Madav2018

Hi all, thanks for all the replies and glad the other comments have helped others. Just thought I'd let you know that I passed my medical no worries and start my new job on Monday! :D

lammergeier

Congratulations Madav. After Furlough and being made redundant that must be great news. The railway is a fantastic industry to work in. Enjoy your new career.

Status
Not open for further replies.