• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

flu

Hi Guys,

Could anyone settle an argument that I have with my friend. Do the TOC get in touch with your doctor for your medical history in any part of the application process?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Manctrain

Same friend who you had the argument with in April? Declare everything in your medical and it won't matter if they do.

flu

Yes same friend and same argument! I didn't get any replies last time and had to put it into another's thread as was unable to post a new thread at the time. I say they do and he is adamant that they don't! All started on a course we were on end of last year.

GadgetMan

I'm pretty sure they ask for your GP's address on the form when you go for medical and have to give consent to them contacting your GP should they wish to.

A-driver

Established Member
They havnt ever contacted my gp-don't think they have ever asked who my gp is either- though I may be wrong.

They check everything that they need to themselves so don't really need your history.

Of course if you don't declare something when asked and that then becomes an issue later in life they may find out that its an existing condition and you will then most likely be sacked-little effort will be made to get you other jobs within the company etc.

Why do you ask out of interest? Unless you are trying to hide something it shouldn't be an issue?

flu

We were both on a course and the subject of pilots came up ( my friend is a pilot in inverness) and the stringent rules and medicals they go / went through. I happened to mention surely train drivers (i want to be a train driver) would be the same given the responsibilities are virtually the same but got beat down by everyone. Anyhow the argument continued in the pub and still goes on with every conversation. So I could wait until I ever get to the stage of a medical with a TOC ( this could be years by all accounts that i've seen on here) or ask someone who has been there and done it.

A-driver

Established Member
We were both on a course and the subject of pilots came up ( my friend is a pilot in inverness) and the stringent rules and medicals they go / went through. I happened to mention surely train drivers (i want to be a train driver) would be the same given the responsibilities are virtually the same but got beat down by everyone. Anyhow the argument continued in the pub and still goes on with every conversation. So I could wait until I ever get to the stage of a medical with a TOC ( this could be years by all accounts that i've seen on here) or ask someone who has been there and done it.

I see. Well as I say, I don't think they contact your gp unless need arises (high blood pressure etc).

No idea what a pilots medical involves but for a train driver its eyesight/colour vision, hearing test, height/weight, ECG, blood pressure, breathing, flexibility (or whatever it is when you have to touch your nose with eyes closed & touch your toes etc.)

Repeated every 5 years unless there is need to do it more regularly (post heart attack/surgery etc) and once you reach a certain age (think its about 55) it becomes yearly.

Skimble19

Established Member
Just a quick one, but I'm unsure how formal my attire should be for my medical.. (Bupa, KGX). Anybody here got any suggestions?

(I know it comes up about what to wear at interviews all the time, but I've not seen about medicals)

MR_P

You just need to wear what is comfortable. You will be having your blood pressure taken and a ECG, so something like a t-shirt and jumper so you can easily remove them.

The only people there are the BUPA staff and some general public, so you are not being assessed by anyone for dress.

Last edited:

Sipismum

I can confirm they do contact your GP. I had my first driver medical about 3 weeks ago and forgot to mention something. Thankfully nothing major :D When I saw the doctor after the nurse she asked me about the problem. She laughed saying you can't get away with anything. :oops: she then went on to tell me what my doctor had said. Hope this helps

A-driver

Established Member
I can confirm they do contact your GP. I had my first driver medical about 3 weeks ago and forgot to mention something. Thankfully nothing major :D When I saw the doctor after the nurse she asked me about the problem. She laughed saying you can't get away with anything. :oops: she then went on to tell me what my doctor had said. Hope this helps

Which company was that with out of interest? Neither southern or FCC contact your gp or as far as I know ask for their details.

Sipismum

Which company was that with out of interest? Neither southern or FCC contact your gp or as far as I know ask for their details.

First Great Western. Gotta be honest I cannot remember giving them my GP details, but somewhere over the years I clearly did. :idea:

flu

First Great Western. Gotta be honest I cannot remember giving them my GP details, but somewhere over the years I clearly did. :idea:

My god how long did the recruitment process take then?! I knew it was slow but years!!! I do now feel vindicated in my argument.

A-driver

Established Member

Well they cant of contacted your gp without your written consent-you must have signed something allowing them to contact them?

Sipismum

My god how long did the recruitment process take then?! I knew it was slow but years!!! I do now feel vindicated in my argument.

Well they cant of contacted your gp without your written consent-you must have signed something allowing them to contact them?

Flu it didn't take years I have been working for them for a number of years doing a different job.

A driver and KA4C I know they cannot contact my GP which is why I said I didn't remember giving them my details but I "somewhere over the years I DID"

A-driver

Established Member
Flu it didn't take years I have been working for them for a number of years doing a different job.

A driver and KA4C I know they cannot contact my GP which is why I said I didn't remember giving them my details but I "somewhere over the years I DID"

Possibly then its not that they found out from your gp at this medical but that its on your internal record from previous years.

Dano28

I would guess they do if anything is of concern at your medical as A-driver says.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.