• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Medway Valley Line signalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

traingeek97

Does anybody know if signalling on the Medway Valley Line is still controlled from the various boxes along the route, or has it been transferred to the East Kent Signalling Centre? I thought the idea was to close the boxes after all the crossings were replaced with electronic barriers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

david737

There are still boxes at Cuxton, Aylesford, Maidstone west, East Farleigh & Wateringbury. The crossing at Snodland is operated by cctv from Aylesford, New Hythe was replaced by an overbridge some years ago and Yalding was replaced by an AHB crossing in the early 80's.

CarrotPie

Cuxton does some signalling between Strood and Halling, but is mainly there to do the crossing (still manual gates there). Aylesford does the MCB crossings at Snodland (CCTV), Aylesford and Aylesford Village (CCTV). Maidstone just does signalling in the immediate vicinity. East Farleigh used to do the MGH station crossing, but now that's MCB and it also does Teston (CCTV), with some signalling nearby. Same thing at Wateringbury, it also does Yalding (ABCL) and Beltring (AHBC). And it also signals the Down line from Beltring.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Is this line sometimes referred to as the Maidstone Loop Line, and which directions are up and down?

CarrotPie

Is this line sometimes referred to as the Maidstone Loop Line, and which directions are up and down?
Not heard that name before, but I have heard "Maidstone Main" from Maidstone West north and "Maidstone Branch" south of Maidstone West. North of Maidstone, Up is north (to Strood), while south of Maidstone Up is south (to Tonbridge), i.e. Up is away from Maidstone West, while Down is towards it.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Not heard that name before, but I have heard "Maidstone Main" from Maidstone West north and "Maidstone Branch" south of Maidstone West. North of Maidstone, Up is north (to Strood), while south of Maidstone Up is south (to Tonbridge), i.e. Up is away from Maidstone West, while Down is towards it.
Thank you.

A very quick correction to CarrotPie

Teston CCTV crossing is actually controlled by the person in charge of signalling equipment at Wateringbury

Status
Not open for further replies.