• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Meeting Disabled Railcard holder en-route

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksonbang

Good morning,

My partner who is the DRC holder is in Worcester at present with the parents and I am working in London. I have purchased some advance tickets for a trip to Liverpool next week and they were booked so we were on the same train between Birmingham and Liverpool. My partner having a Worcester - Liverpool ticket, myself having Birmingham - Liverpool both with the railcard discount applied. I also have a non discounted London to Birmingham ticket.

I have realised that on my partner's ticket that her change point is Smethwick Galton Bridge (potentially more useful for a Disabled person).

I have two issues -

I have assumed that as the accompanying person I just have to be travelling with the disabled person on valid ticket to get the railcard discount, I don't need the exactly same ticket (as in she holds Worcester-Liverpool, I hold Birmingham-Liverpool)

Do I just purchase a Birmingham - Smethwick GB standard ticket to cover the part of the journey where I will not be with my disabled wife

Thank You

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Technically that is starting short on the Advance so not permitted, you would need a new ticket for your whole journey (I don't *think* you can change the start/end of an Advance). However I wouldn't be surprised if the TOC were lenient on it because (a) no saving was intended and (b) a disabled person is involved.

You may do well to contact the relevant TOC's customer services and ask if it is OK, then if they say it is print out them saying that it is and take it with you.

By the way, for future reference you would have had problems getting through the barriers at New St with the original plan - with a Railcard the two people must travel together *at all times* including passing any barrier. So to do the original plan she would have to stop off at New St and show the Railcard with you at the barrier to let you in.

Last edited:

jacksonbang

You may do well to contact the relevant TOC's customer services and ask if it is OK, then if they say it is print out them saying that it is and take it with you.

Excellent idea, thank you.

There was no intention to underpay (obviously) I made an assumption about the Worcester train, such is my very simplified knowledge of the railway in that area.

gray1404

Established Member
Could your partner not travel in to New Street on their existing ticket. Meet you there then you continue travel together.

sheff1

Established Member
Could your partner not travel in to New Street on their existing ticket. Meet you there then you continue travel together.

Trains from Worcester which stop at Smethwick Galton Bridge do not go to New St. She would need to go via a different route (Bromsgrove) to the one on her itinerary.

gray1404

Established Member
Yes, but she could change a Moor Street and walk over to New Street to meet her other half and join the Liverpool service there. Would that be a permitted route if she hold a walk up ticket?

It would appear only the person starting at Birmingham has an Advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.