• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Meeting with First Somerset & Avon - compensation finally provided (3x FSW Day)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony263

Established Member
Out of curiosity Ivo how does Rotala's Uni-Connect and Royal Bath services compare with those of First?

Incidentally I was under the impression that Uni-Connect was a commercial operation, do First or anyone else run any services under contract to the University?

Aren't the university services in Bristol now operated by the university themselves commercially? it bit like UNO?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scandal

Aren't the university services in Bristol now operated by the university themselves commercially? it bit like UNO?

I was referring to Bath, where Rotala claim Uni Connect is commerically operated, within Bristol the Wessex Red sub-brand of Rotala has taken over, using Red Diamond style adverts (also similar to Wellglades) on buses to encourage more take up by the general public, as far as I am aware it is still a contractually operated service between the Bristol Universities and Rotala.

Ivo

Established Member
Not great to be honest. They only turned up less than 3 years ago and, with the exception of one contract that only became available because First gave up on the route, everything they run is a near-copy of a route run by First. Although not really true now, they formerly had a reputation for not caring about running to timetable or even safely in some cases; imagine being on a Mercedes minibus on a road with speed humps at 40mph! Not comfortable to say the least, and even less safe than it is comfortable. See also here. [N.B.: Link may be out-of-date; our internet is playing up so only some sites are loading correctly so I can't see the story!]

They must make good money on their U18 route, and their 5 - exactly the same as the First 5 except for an extension to the Guildhall which I believe is only made to avoid paying First for access to their bus station - has been increased in frequency so must also be a success. They have also turned around the 20A/C (the route First gave up on) from a route that runs hourly to one that now provides 2 61-reg Optare Solos per hour along part of the route.

All in all, they've had their moments, but they are most definitely behind First in Bath.

As for the University of Bath, or "enemy territory" as it is up here, First have long run a bus there - see radamfi's details from previously - but it has been improved from 10 16-capacity Ford Transits per hour to, well, 10 whatever-First-choose per hour. In 2009/10 and presumably the years before, almost all 18s were bendy; now, there are only 7 when it and the SPA1 combined have a daytime requirement of 13, although there are more buses to Lower Oldfield Park than previously. To be honest, I expect the 18 frequency to be cut in the Summer to every 7/8 minutes, and every 15 to Lower Oldfield Park - or if not, for bendy operation to Claverton to come to an end.

For the record, I do believe you are correct regarding Bristol. Not that I've ever used a dedicated University route in Bristol.

Established Member
First run one of the services that operate between the Uni and city centre/railway station in York (number 4). This used to be supported by the university financially, but York Pullman now have this (number 44). The difference between First and YP is massive - staff are much more friendlier and the price is about the same. Plus, they don't use the ftr buses which not many people like.

Ivo

Established Member
TWELVE WEEKS have passed since the day I felt the need to complain about now - and, at long last, they have accepted liability and offered compensation. Why, how kind of them (!) - but even then they are still defending themselves.

HOWEVER.

Said compensation takes the form of two First South-West Day tickets, which can be used right through to Land's End (with Chippenham probably the north-eastern most extremity). This is worth roughly £15, so I guess it's something. But what use is that when I have a bus pass anyway? They could be sitting around for months!

So, does anyone have any ideas as to how to utilise these tickets [assuming they materialise of course!]? I guess the obvious one is to take either my mother or father out one day by bus around here, but I have no idea as to when either will come next (if ever in the former's case).

Alternatively, does anyone fancy a day out by bus around the south-west region? You will have to pay me for the ticket of course, but there are two so two people could come along ;) (I would insist on joining you though.)

----------------

Meanwhile, another meeting is on the horizon - where a pitch to First looks likely! I don't have a date as yet though.

richw

Veteran Member
TWELVE WEEKS have passed since the day I felt the need to complain about now - and, at long last, they have accepted liability and offered compensation. Why, how kind of them (!) - but even then they are still defending themselves.

HOWEVER.

Said compensation takes the form of two First South-West Day tickets, which can be used right through to Land's End (with Chippenham probably the north-eastern most extremity). This is worth roughly £15, so I guess it's something. But what use is that when I have a bus pass anyway? They could be sitting around for months!

So, does anyone have any ideas as to how to utilise these tickets [assuming they materialise of course!]? I guess the obvious one is to take either my mother or father out one day by bus around here, but I have no idea as to when either will come next (if ever in the former's case).

Alternatively, does anyone fancy a day out by bus around the south-west region? You will have to pay me for the ticket of course, but there are two so two people could come along ;) (I would insist on joining you though.)

----------------

Meanwhile, another meeting is on the horizon - where a pitch to First looks likely! I don't have a date as yet though.

Sounds a nice day out for yourself and a couple of friends

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

martinsh

Established Member

You're on ! Start at Chippenham and see how far we can get ?!
Only drawback - you'll have to push my wheelchair !

I don't have a date as yet though.
I thought you weren't going to complain about still being single !!:D

Ivo

Established Member
I have just made a rather angry phone call to the poor sods at S&A - because I STILL haven't received the SW Day tickets! It is now 143 days since the event which is wholly unsatisfactory (and I let them know as much), and Bath Customer Services aren't even certain the tickets were ever sent out. I should be receiving another message from them tomorrow by e-mail, which will hopefully move things along. I am most unhappy about this though <(

But the idea of using the tickets to get to Polperro or wherever is being hindered by the uncertainty around Somerset/Devon! If we can't use them for the next while either we may not even get any further than Barnstaple on the coast; as it is, we may not get any further than Tiverton <(

Hopefully I'll have some better news tomorrow, but it doesn't look too hopeful.

starrymarkb

Established Member
I have just made a rather angry phone call to the poor sods at S&A - because I STILL haven't received the SW Day tickets! It is now 143 days since the event which is wholly unsatisfactory (and I let them know as much), and Bath Customer Services aren't even certain the tickets were ever sent out. I should be receiving another message from them tomorrow by e-mail, which will hopefully move things along. I am most unhappy about this though <(

But the idea of using the tickets to get to Polperro or wherever is being hindered by the uncertainty around Somerset/Devon! If we can't use them for the next while either we may not even get any further than Barnstaple on the coast; as it is, we may not get any further than Tiverton <(

Hopefully I'll have some better news tomorrow, but it doesn't look too hopeful.

You won't get south of Tiverton now - First don't operate through to Exeter any more.

DaveHarries

Established Member

I did once use an FDSW ticket to do Bristol - Minehead for fun:

- 376 Bristol - Wells
- 29 Wells - Taunton
- 28 Taunton - Minehead

Two hours in Minehead then trip back in reverse order: got back into Bristol at about 8pm, IIRC.

Dave

Ivo

Established Member
The furthest I've done with S&A is Taunton, so really not that far. However, I used a very lop-sided route, leaving via Wells and returning via Weston which, allowing for running from Bath, is quite the diversion!

Anyhow, with the 92 curtailed, we won't be getter any further than Tiverton, unless of course we fancy a complete change of plan and go to somewhere like Poole instead. That would be quite the run: Bath - Wells - Yeovil - Axminster - Weymouth - Poole (or something like that anyway). Whether it's doable in one day is another matter.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Anyhow, with the 92 curtailed, we won't be getter any further than Tiverton, unless of course we fancy a complete change of plan and go to somewhere like Poole instead. That would be quite the run: Bath - Wells - Yeovil - Axminster - Weymouth - Poole (or something like that anyway). Whether it's doable in one day is another matter.
Impossible unless you go via. Taunton which would leave you little means of return unless you wanted a night in Poole. First departure on Service 173 from Bath is not until just after 9am so you would have to go:

1. Bath - Wells (Service 173: dep. 0910, arr. 1027)
2. Wells - Taunton (Service 29: dep. 1035, arr. 1200)
3. Taunton - Axminster (Service 30: dep. 1235, arr. 1400)
4. Axminster - Weymouth (Service 31: dep. 1406, arr. 1625)
5. Weymouth - Poole (Service X53: dep. 1805, arr. 1920)

But if you don't want a loop via. Taunton then it would not be possible without using a train for part of the trip. And even then not without some fairly tight connections:

1. Bath - Wells (Service 173: dep. 0910, arr. 1027)
2. Wells - Yeovil (Service 377: dep. 1104, arr. 1227)
3. Yeovil BS - Yeovil Jcn (SWC Service 68: dep. 1230, arr. 1235)
4. Train: Yeovil Jcn - Axminster (dep. 1239, arr. 1302)
5. Axminster - Weymouth (Service 31: dep. 1306, arr. 1525)
6. Weymouth - Poole (Service X53, dep. 1605, arr. 1720)

Either way, if you took a night in Poole then you could go do the X53 end-to-end (which I wouldn't mind doing myself for fun):

Poole - Exeter (Service X53: dep. 0950, arr. 1422)

Whatever you do, enjoy.

Dave

Ivo

Established Member
As I expected. Usually I would actually check as much myself but I felt sure this would be the result.

Anyhow, as compensation for the delayed compensation (!), S&A are now offering three SW tickets instead of two. This means there is a third slot available for anyone who would be interested in coming along, but consider that it will probably become a loop route around Somerset (and the surrounding area) on account of time difficulties.

Something like this (based on Saturday times):

Code:
[B]231[/B] Bath Bus Station 0817 - 0931 Chippenham BS
[B]234[/B] Chippenham BS    1000 - 1118 Frome Market Pl. *
[B]161[/B] Frome Market Pl. 1119 - 1224 Wells Bus Stn
[B]29[/B]  Wells Bus Stn    1235 - 1400 Taunton Bus Stn
[B]21A[/B] Taunton Bus Stn  1410 - 1519 Highbr. Cemetery
[B]112[/B] Highbr. Cemetery 1529 - 1632 Weston High St.
[B]X25[/B] Weston High St.  1635 - 1803 Cribbs Causeway **
[B]1[/B]   Cribbs Causeway  1812 - 1911 Bristol Temple M
[B]X39[/B] Bristol Temple M 1938 - 2011 Bath Bus Station

*  Seriously, do they not have the faintest idea how to coordinate routes?
** Route subject to substantial alteration on 1st April

I would probably aim to get Yeovil in too, but that would jeopardise the X25 (and 125 after the change) journey; reversing direction would jeopardise the 234 journey. Any suggestions (including dates; Saturdays are preferable) or renewed indications of interest?

Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member
Code:
[B]231[/B] Bath Bus Station 0817 - 0931 Chippenham BS
[B]234[/B] Chippenham BS    1000 - 1118 Frome Market Pl. *
[B]161[/B] Frome Market Pl. 1119 - 1224 Wells Bus Stn
[B]29[/B]  Wells Bus Stn    1235 - 1400 Taunton Bus Stn
[B]21A[/B] Taunton Bus Stn  1410 - 1519 Highbr. Cemetery
[B]112[/B] Highbr. Cemetery 1529 - 1632 Weston High St. **
[B]X25[/B] Weston High St.  1635 - 1803 Cribbs Causeway
[B]1[/B]   Cribbs Causeway  1812 - 1911 Bristol Temple M
[B]X39[/B] Bristol Temple M 1938 - 2011 Bath Bus Station

*  Seriously, do they not have the faintest idea how to coordinate routes?
** Route subject to substantial alteration on 1st April
Interesting. What is being altered in respect of the 112 on 01st April?

As an aside (and apologies for deviating from First S&A), Bridgewater-based Webberbus are to revise Service 15 (Wellington - Burnham-on-Sea) to interwork with a new Service 75 (Burnham - Weston-s-Mare) thereby providing a service between Wellington and Weston-s-Mare with - or so I understand - no need to change buses.

The twitter feed of Webberbus did carry a message a few days ago that "The 15 bus will be going to Weston from the 2nd April" but two further messages have since been posted saying that "It is actually 2 routes, with the same bus continuing on to Weston, but it will actually be the 75 service from Burnham [.....] The 15 bus will become a 75 bus at Burnham, so that it can go on to Weston. This will not affect its passengers."

AFAIK there has been no direct Weston - Taunton service since the council-supported 602 & 902 routes were abolished in around 2000.

Dave

Ivo

Established Member
Interesting. What is being altered in respect of the 112 on 01st April?

:shock:

Nothing as far as I know; I put the ** on the wrong route! It should be on the X25, which is being split X14-esque into two (i.e. with one vehicle running the through service), not the 112. (This has now been changed.)

Interesting to see that there will be what is effectively a trans- Somerset route as you point out. Wellington to Weston does seem somewhat odd to me, but we'll see. Obviously the 15/75 will work the same way as the 125/X25 will, and the 14/X14 at present.

Meanwhile, something has occurred to me. If S&A responded by E-mail saying "three tickets are enclosed", does that mean I won't receive a letter stating the same because correspondence would already have been sent - minus the tickets?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As can be seen in the revised thread title, First S&A have FINALLY compensated me for the events that occurred on October 28th last year!

Obviously I have an ENCTS pass, so these tickets are next-to-useless for me. However, as indicated previously, I would like to propose a day out around the south-west (on a yet-to-be-confirmed route; the previous suggestion of a Somerset orbital looks likely), possibly on March 31st to tie in with my birthday. I can accommodate up to three others on this run; other people are welcomed but if this is the case I would have to request that some payment is made amongst all others (e.g. if one other comes along everyone besides me pays one quarter of the fourth ticket).

Any interest, please let me know ASAP, especially if the 31st is a viable option.

Temple Meads

Established Member
As I am likely to be going to Swindon on the 1st April and the Midlands meal and Newport on the 28th March, I'm probably not going to have any spare cash, and I'd be too tired for my early start the day after.

Sorry mate :(

Ivo

Established Member
As I am likely to be going to Swindon on the 1st April and the Midlands meal and Newport on the 28th March, I'm probably not going to have any spare cash, and I'd be too tired for my early start the day after.

Sorry mate :(

That is a pity. But you wouldn't actually need any cash! Just be in Taunton when required... although the route I have planned doesn't get there until 1424 anyway, which might be pushing it a bit.

On an unrelated note, please read this! :D

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
My proposed route for March 31st...

N.B.: Note that it includes every journey I would make; the official run is from Chippenham to Bath so according to this I would bail out 5 minutes early.

Attachments

• 31-03-2012 V1.xlsx
    8.6 KB · Views: 10

Temple Meads

Established Member
That is a pity. But you wouldn't actually need any cash! Just be in Taunton when required... although the route I have planned doesn't get there until 1424 anyway, which might be pushing it a bit.

Ah yes, but I wouldn't be able to get back to Tiverton from Bath or Bristol by First bus, it'd need to be by train and I really can't afford that just now.

Status
Not open for further replies.