• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Megabus General Discussion

Parebunks

That's what I thought at first too but it's not, it's just a route number prefixed by 'M' for Megabus (or 'G' for (Megabus) Gold when that used to operate). As far as I'm aware the numbers themselves are meaningless?
Not entirely meaningless, they do represent rough groupings - M3x is currently any routes avoiding London but not going as far as Scotland, though from Jan those will be M8x.
Is Newcastle-under-Lyme still being served, as I can't see it on the map ?
No, looks like it's no longer served, definitely nothing in the booking system.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mugby

Established Member
What procedure is put in place when a Megabus vehicle fails?

Yesterday (Thursday 21/120 I entered Derby Bus Station at 3.30pm to see a six-wheel Megabus coach had been loaded onto a trailer + tractor unit, quite a sight to see such a massive vehicle stricken and being removed in such a way.
Presumably it had failed in service at Derby with passengers on board so what would happen to them? I imagine it would be pretty difficult for Megabus to supply a replacement to such a location in a hurry so would they have an arrangement in place with another operator to cover the failure?
Surely the passengers wouldn't have been simply left to their own devices?

AlastairFraser

Established Member

Yesterday (Thursday 21/120 I entered Derby Bus Station at 3.30pm to see a six-wheel Megabus coach had been loaded onto a trailer + tractor unit, quite a sight to see such a massive vehicle stricken and being removed in such a way.
Presumably it had failed in service at Derby with passengers on board so what would happen to them? I imagine it would be pretty difficult for Megabus to supply a replacement to such a location in a hurry so would they have an arrangement in place with another operator to cover the failure?
Depends who the contractor is. I was on a journey where the bus was held for hours where they fetched a mechanic (it failed at Norton Canes services on the M6, so hardly the middle of nowhere), it's an absolute lottery unfortunately.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
To be fair, some stops where they're manned by Megabus staff are better at getting replacement coaches organised (like at the Birmingham stop) than where there's no Megabus staff).

In any event, I thought that the contractor would have to let Megabus control know so arrangements could be made

Mwanesh

Megabus generally have contractors along the route. They will be priority ones and last resort ones. Some can supply a coach only while some will insist on coach and driver because they want the coach back at Base. On some routes even rival operators like National Express do help.

Wilko82

I was on a Megabus service from Southampton to Birmingham some time in 2022 when the coach had some kind of issue on the M42 somewhere near Solihull/Birmingham airport and the driver was forced to pull over into one of the Emergency Refuge Areas. A coach was sought and arrived in quick time, (from memory approx 30-45 mins) which was a lot quicker than what the driver had originally suggested. This new vehicle was a non-Megabus liveried coach and was from Amans Travel based in Walsall. The arrivial of the new coach in such quick time suggests that we were treated as a priorty due to being on the Motorway and that Megabus must have certain operators to call upon in such cases, especially when you consider that this was at about 8pm on a Friday evening.

Simon75

On Moderation
The times for the new network are now correctly (!) on bustimes.org, if duplicated at the moment, and lacking the Scottish routes. There are also updated stop timetables on the megabus website. Only change from my spreadsheet I can see is some extra Bristol-Heathrow shorts, but a welcome development to have them all properly displayed.
As per posts #120 and #121, Newcastle-under-Lyme (Stoke-on-Trent), isn't on there .
So the only coaches for Stoke-on-Trent will be National Express and Flixbus

Last edited by a moderator:

Titfield

Established Member
I was on a Megabus service from Southampton to Birmingham some time in 2022 when the coach had some kind of issue on the M42 somewhere near Solihull/Birmingham airport and the driver was forced to pull over into one of the Emergency Refuge Areas. A coach was sought and arrived in quick time, (from memory approx 30-45 mins) which was a lot quicker than what the driver had originally suggested. This new vehicle was a non-Megabus liveried coach and was from Amans Travel based in Walsall. The arrivial of the new coach in such quick time suggests that we were treated as a priorty due to being on the Motorway and that Megabus must have certain operators to call upon in such cases, especially when you consider that this was at about 8pm on a Friday evening.

The Police have maximum times permitted for breakdown assistance to attend stricken PVCs on motorways. Likewise the recovery of passengers off the motorway. If the pcv operator hasnt got assistance en route so that it will arrive within the time frame then the police will compel the use of their appointed contractor. The firm I used to work for used Sovereign recovery for the vehicle and we would divert one of our own coaches to pick up the stranded passengers and get them to the nearest service area where we could then arrange onward travel.

markymark2000

On Moderation
The times for the new network are now correctly (!) on bustimes.org, if duplicated at the moment, and lacking the Scottish routes. There are also updated stop timetables on the megabus website. Only change from my spreadsheet I can see is some extra Bristol-Heathrow shorts, but a welcome development to have them all properly displayed.
Very strange new routes from Megabus such as the Bristol to Heathrow stuff, proper going for the M4 corridor competition. Something that I do wonder though is who is going to run these new routes as there is a lot starting/finishing in Bristol yet Stagecoach Bristol is closing it's Megabus part so I am interested to see what ends up happening operators wise.

Joe Paxton

Established Member

First on the list on that bustimes page (as it should be, because it's the lowest route number!) is the M3 Poole to London service - but it appears that it's no longer running, as it doesn't show up for booking on the Megabus site. (I think it was run by Heathrow-based operator, which took over after the previous operator Bournemouth-based Yellow Buses collapsed in the summer of 2022.)

Having just had a bit of a search around I've found this interesting Heathrow National Coach Map PDF, which is dated 6 November 2023 and marked as Version 92. I wasn't previously aware of its existence. Out of interest I looked on the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine for previous versions - the last one saved on the archive before Version 92 is Version 75 dated 29 January 2023, so it looks like the map does get updated regularly.

Anyway, the point being is that the Megabus M3 route is not shown on V92 of the map from November last year - so looks like the M3 has not been running for at least a couple of months now.

[Edit - removal of stray apostrophe!]

Last edited:

Parebunks

First on the list on that bustimes page (as it should be, because it's the lowest route number!) is the M3 Poole to London service - but it appears that it's no longer running, as it doesn't show up for booking on the Megabus site. (I think it was run by Heathrow-based operator, which took over after the previous operator Bournemouth-based Yellow Buses collapsed in the summer of 2022.)

Having just had a bit of a search around I've found this interesting Heathrow National Coach Map PDF, which is dated 6 November 2023 and marked as Version 92. I wasn't previously aware of it's existence. Out of interest I looked on the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine for previous versions - the last one saved on the archive before Version 92 is Version 75 dated 29 January 2023, so it looks like the map does get updated regularly.

Anyway, the point being is that the Megabus M3 route is not shown on V92 of the map from November last year - so looks like the M3 has not been running for at least a couple of months now.
Yes, on the bustimes.org page the *only* ones still running from the 10th are the ones that show as starting then - i.e. M41-M44, M52, M65+ The M3 I think stopped entirely during summer of last year? The Scottish routes (M11, M11X, M17, M20, with M19 missing), are on the Scottish Citylink bustimes.org page now.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Yes, on the bustimes.org page the *only* ones still running from the 10th are the ones that show as starting then - i.e. M41-M44, M52, M65+ The M3 I think stopped entirely during summer of last year? The Scottish routes (M11, M11X, M17, M20, with M19 missing), are on the Scottish Citylink bustimes.org page now.

I'm not seeing that?

On the M3 bustimes page, on dropdown date selection menu, I can select up to and including Sat 27 January 2024 - and it shows the M3 service as running every day up to then.

I can't easily find any definitive reference on the web as to when the M3 stopped running, not that it desperately matters one way or another (well not to me at least!) - I guess there might be some mention somewhere on Facebook.

I'm guessing no-one at Megabus has updated their input into the 'National Coach Services Database', which is where bustimes gets its data from. Just goes to show that updating databases remains an underappreciated job in many organisations.

markymark2000

On Moderation
(I think it was run by Heathrow-based operator, which took over after the previous operator Bournemouth-based Yellow Buses collapsed in the summer of 2022.)
It was being operated by AirSym

I'm guessing no-one at Megabus has updated their input into the 'National Coach Services Database', which is where bustimes gets its data from. Just goes to show that updating databases remains an underappreciated job in many organisations.
Megabus aren't very good at updating their entries in the National Coach Services Database. Shame really given the National Coach Services Database is then used to give information to Traveline and Bustimes as well as probably a number of other journey planning sites. I know when I have complained to Flixbus about them not updating the database, they said it's too manual and time consuming (which is interesting, too time consuming to get your services promoted on numerous journey planners?) and so I wonder if that is the same attitude that Megabus take?

route101

Established Member
I used the M3 service last July from Poole to London last summer, was a white Yutong with just 4 passengers including me. The condition of the coach was poor for such a new coach. I believe it was operated by AirSym or one of the Heathrow based companies.

Having just had a bit of a search around I've found this interesting Heathrow National Coach Map PDF, which is dated 6 November 2023 and marked as Version 92. I wasn't previously aware of it's existence. Out of interest I looked on the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine for previous versions - the last one saved on the archive before Version 92 is Version 75 dated 29 January 2023, so it looks like the map does get updated regularly.

If only Megabus, Flixbus and National Express came up with a map like that! Interesting it shows service station stops.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
I used the M3 service last July from Poole to London last summer, was a white Yutong with just 4 passengers including me. The condition of the coach was poor for such a new coach. I believe it was operated by AirSym or one of the Heathrow based companies.

That'll be the answer as to why it's been withdrawn!

markymark2000

On Moderation

Attachments

• 1704569419623.png
    1704569419623.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 74

Wilko82

Having just had a bit of a search around I've found this interesting Heathrow National Coach Map PDF, which is dated 6 November 2023 and marked as Version 92. I wasn't previously aware of its existence. Out of interest I looked on the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine for previous versions - the last one saved on the archive before Version 92 is Version 75 dated 29 January 2023, so it looks like the map does get updated regularly.

When I travelled from Victoria to Weymouth a few weeks back on Sunday 10th December using the NX 035 service we pulled in next to an AirSym coach in one of the bays at Bournemouth interchange so I think that the M3 was still running then. However I believe that Heathrow hadn't been served for a while before that, so therefore wouldn't show up on the map that you have linked to. It could be that Megabus cut the route for good at the end of 2023.

route101

Established Member
When I travelled from Victoria to Weymouth a few weeks back on Sunday 10th December using the NX 035 service we pulled in next to an AirSym coach in one of the bays at Bournemouth interchange so I think that the M3 was still running then. However I believe that Heathrow hadn't been served for a while before that, so therefore wouldn't show up on the map that you have linked to. It could be that Megabus cut the route for good at the end of 2023.
I can select London to Bournemouth on Megabus website but not showing any journeys. Southampton was dropped on the M3 a while back.

Anyone know where the M12 service goes on the map? Its marked going up the M1 out of London.

asb

M12 has long been the Leeds 'stopper' - eg Milton Keynes, Rugby, Leicester Loughborough, Meadowhall.
It's the main London - Leeds service, and is basically anything not continuing beyond Newcastle to Scotland. The stopping pattern could be as limited as Sheffield only, with most trips doing Leicester and Sheffield.

stuu

Established Member
Does anyone know when Megabus normally open their bookings? I booked a flight from Bristol for this Easter last October, and at the time the bus was bookable up until March. It's still saying March now

route101

Established Member
Who normally operates the evening Reading to Manchester run leaving at 17:40 on a Sunday evening
Is that the service that runs through to Glasgow?

Who normally operates the evening Reading to Manchester run leaving at 17:40 on a Sunday evening
Possibly Maclean's. Seen the London bound working from Glasgow that goes via Reading

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Took the short working of the M11 yesterday from Manchester Airport to Glasgow yesterday. The service goes onto Edinburgh. Only me and one other person from airport. We picked up a decent load in Manchester. Slept from Bolton up to Lockerbie despite the usual suspects on coach services these days on phones , sending whats app voice notes and someone playing tick tack videos . We stopped at Hamilton services to replace the driver.

This was a Parks of Hamilton coach who have gained recent Megabus work. The coach was a Panorama, which I don't find the most comfortable. The armrests did not make it easy to get in and out the seats.

Parebunks

My April 11th booking on the M11X London-Glasgow has apparently been cancelled 'due to some necessary changes to our timetable' - does anyone know what this means? Temporary or permanent? On the upside, got the ticket for £2 and was no longer able to make the original time anyway, so will save a lot on my next trip to Scotland by using the free rebooking they've offered for it.