• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MegaTrain Virgin routes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Hello all,

Been planning a trip up to Crewe for January and wanted an idea of what advance prices roughly are when they get released, looking up various different routes to work out what would be the cheapest.

It's just in case I decide to do the Pathfinders Deviation thing tour in Jan, starting at Crewe 0700 but I'd want to be there the night before.

I thought about Mega Train, as selecting London to Crewe came up with a train option. I wondered how much these usually cost so I selected a random Saturday next month. No services are available for that day. Ok I'll select a weekday...nope. I tried various random weekday and Saturday dates for mid/late October and November, but it reckoned there was no services available to book. I tried Liverpool in the hope that, if it was cheap, I could double back from Liverpool to Crewe on a single instead, but no tickets at all were bookable.

Does this mean that all services are fully booked to Crewe and Liverpool, or is this for selected seasons or times of the year only, or maybe Mega Train don't have a deal with Virgin anymore (but why is the train option selectable if that's the case)?

Otherwise, cheapest way so far would be to do a Trowbridge - Paddington advance and Euston - Crewe advance, doesn't seem to be XC advances via Bristol and Brum..

Has anyone booked on the Virgin route Mega Train before?

James.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Donachie

Never any available Friday , Saturday and Sunday on Carlisle - Northwest / Midlands routes.

Donachie.

MKD

If time isn't an issue, you can try for advance on London Midland - eg £8 for a 2h38m direct train on a Saturday afternoon.
Though Virgin, an hour quicker, only a few pounds more potentially.

Last edited:

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Ahh bit of a pain if Fridays aren't included. I'll have to look at LM advances from Euston, this would be a Friday night for the railtour on the Saturday. It would only be a single advance anyway as if I did do the tour, I'd get off at Tamworth for the Bristol Voyager.

I could get off at Nuneaton for an XC to Birmingham for a +3 for an earlier Bristol service which would get me on the 2225 SWT Salisbury service. Problem is crossing platform 2 to platform 12 in 3 minutes...

Will see if there's such thing as an advance from Tamworth to Bristol or Trowbridge

Status
Not open for further replies.