• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Melbourne, AU] 'Dumb Ways To Die' safety campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PFX

I always lilked the direct and often horrific approach Antipodean safety ads took to getting the message across. During my time in NZ, there were a number of hard-hitting ads which certainly gave cause for thought. One had a similar tag-line to this Austrailian one proclaiming "If you drink and drive, you're a bloody idiot".

Monty

Established Member
Hi everyone,

Metro Trains Melbourne recently launched this safety campaign called 'Dumb Ways To Die' to raise awareness about safety around railway lines and at level crossings etc.

Its in the form of a music video and its extremely catchy and in 7 days its had over 10 million hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IJNR2EpS0jw

That's brilliant! If only we could have such a campaign over here without fear of offending the PC brigade! :D

CC 72100

Established Member
I always lilked the direct and often horrific approach Antipodean safety ads took to getting the message across. During my time in NZ, there were a number of hard-hitting ads which certainly gave cause for thought. One had a similar tag-line to this Austrailian one proclaiming "If you drink and drive, you're a bloody idiot".

I remember seeing some of the Australian and NZ Road safety ads from presentations that were given in year 11 and at sixth form by a local charity. Those ads were a lot more hard-hitting that the ones we have over here.

Aussie_Rail

We have a lot of hard hitting ads for a lot of things. Road safety, railways, workplace safety and all sorts of things.

Interestingly enough, the TAC (Transport Accident Commission) which are largely responsible for paying out victims of road accidents etc in Victoria recently released a report saying that the hard hitting ads on TV aren't effective enough.

Anyway, there is also a website for the Dumb Ways To Die campaign.

http://dumbwaystodie.com/

One thing that Metro Trains Melbourne have been able to do well is do something that went viral online.

island

Veteran Member
Melbourne also has some "don't cross in front of a tram" ads depicting a rhino on a skateboard.

topher1976

Melbourne also has some "don't cross in front of a tram" ads depicting a rhino on a skateboard.

Yes we do :) The 'Beware The Rhino' campaign was great! Though some idiots still walk in front of trams...

The 'Dumb Ways To Die' is very popular here. Friends of mines daughters can sing the whole song, word for word lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.