• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Memorable bus/coach journeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin2013

Has anyone got any memorable examples of bus/coach journeys they've been on?

For example I remember back in about 2012 having to catch the 339 (now 39) back from Brislington to Bristol Bus Station late on a saturday evening and there being a load of drunk young people on board who started singing Wurzels songs.

The very first day of the Flixbus service from Bristol to London in July 2020 was one of those I'll never forget. About 3 other passengers on the outbound and at least one other was an enthusiast. On the return that evening I was the sole passenger. Remember Victoria Coach Station being as dead as a dodo with hardly any passengers around and hardly any of the retail or catering outlets being open even for takeaway in either the coach station or train station, save for Whistlestop and WHSmith.

Also did a Megabus journey from Bristol to Leeds in June 2021 a few days after the Social Distancing restrictions should have been dropped before the government extended them for another month but Megabus had introduced an enhanced timetable anyway. There can't have been anymore than 10 of us on for the whole trip and I think between Birmingham and Leeds it was only 5 of us. My bag was the only one in the locker.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I have had many,

One recently was on a National Express 727 on a Rail strike day from Cambridge to Norwich(This was actualy my first time on NX because I normaly avoid coach travel at all costs in favor of trains). The coach was about half full for most of the way until Thetford. At Thetford an already drunk group of around 20 Early to mid 20's women got on. That was the longest 45 mins of my life! Sitting on a National Express coach, with 'Take Me Home, Country Roads' by John Denver. Blasting at full volume with them screaming along to it. They were vapeing as well! One who was sitting behind me pulled my hair for a laugh. It was like being on a school trip coach, but worse.

I have had many on Sanders Coaches X44/44A's and CH1's(both often Very busy routes). One was a few years ago where the 2nd to last 44 series bus on a Summer Saturday to Norwich from Cromer was rammed full of family's coming back from the coast(it was a single deccer for some reason, despite most 44's being run by double deccers). The bus was full and couldn't let us(and around 20 others at the stop) on. The driver said Sanders would send another bus along soon to pick us up. It was 2 hours!!!(and it was only sent after another man shouted obscenities down the Sanders customer service line). When it did turn up the driver said 'do you guys want to go fast to Norwich?'(skiping stops around Cromer, and Aylsham entirely) We thought this was nice but little did we know it would be a hair raising experience. Picture, an obviously eager to get back to the depot and back home driver, A drunk woman at the front of the bus trying to flirt with him and traveling over the speed limit down an A road at night. It was an experience (especialy when a bin lorry pulled out of a side road and the driver had to brake hard, causing me to slam my head against a pole).

Another Sanders experience was on the CH1 Coasthopper, a beautiful journey along the North Norfolk Coast. But the beauty is ruined by a drunk hen party on a pub crawl singing various songs and throwing a blow up penis around the bus.

However, another more pleasant experience was with Our Hire Acle local services around Norfolk on a New Years Eve excursion in 2019. We(me and my fellow bus enthusiast grandad) got the First bus 12 up from Norwich to Wroxham(a nice journey in its self) and then changed on to an Our Hire 71A over to Acle. The bus was a tiny little Ford Transit 16 seater minibus. The only other passengers were 3 old ladys with shopping trollies. It was fun bounceing through the tiny narrow roads on this little minibus over to the middle of nowhere town of Acle. After just over an hour there, the same minibus with the same driver came and collected us for the next journey, the 73A to Reedham. We continued to speed down the tiny country roads as the early setting winter sun started to set. We then were dropped off by the driver by the river in Reedham where we sat by the river as the sun set over the boads. We then caught the train back to Norwich which was equaly as scenic.

I have so many storys of interesting (nice and not as nice) bus journeys that I have been on, too many to list.

Last edited:

lxfe_mxtterz

Travelling on the Compass Travel route 32 between Guildford and Redhill during the height of COVID-19 - it was a pleasant sunny day, and the driver had the radio on. Speeding along the rather scenic road between between Silent Pool and Gomshall and Don't Speak by No Doubt comes on. All just felt very fitting in the moment, and has stuck with me rather vividly!

And by extreme contrast, travelling on the Scottish Citylink route 915 through Glencoe during a blizzard in late 2021. The snow started to fall at Crianlarich and by the time we'd climbed up to Glencoe, it was a complete white-out and you couldn't see a thing outside the windows. On the journey back, the visibility had improved, the mountains were covered in snow and we got stuck in traffic on the A82 for a good couple of hours as cars were struggling to make it up the icy gradients.

(Pictures attached)

Attachments

• 1D345FA3-16FF-4A7A-B393-589E8173E8E4.jpeg
    1D345FA3-16FF-4A7A-B393-589E8173E8E4.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 39
  • AE1634B2-179A-4C0B-96FD-0334288D478A.jpeg
    AE1634B2-179A-4C0B-96FD-0334288D478A.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 39
  • 2AF8F5A2-5F40-4394-B1BE-C7785191DE9C.jpeg
    2AF8F5A2-5F40-4394-B1BE-C7785191DE9C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
  • E6B6C96D-5F1C-4D81-8EF6-5703B8DCE593.jpeg
    E6B6C96D-5F1C-4D81-8EF6-5703B8DCE593.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 35
  • E513E470-EBE4-4E4E-B516-9370B662E3C6.jpeg
    E513E470-EBE4-4E4E-B516-9370B662E3C6.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 41

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Between Tillingbourne with their Optare Metroriders ceasing trading in March 2001, and the youthful Countywide Travel (later Fleet Buzz before being bought out by Stagecoach) taking over the following year with their Mercedes Varios, the route past my Grandad's house was for that year or so in the hands of the also now long gone Frimley Coaches. Being primarily a coach operator, I believe this was their first foray into general public stage carriage work. They put together a motley collection of buses made up of mostly Leyland Nationals and Atlanteans, generally painted in all-over lime green with no fleet names. It was one such trip on an Atlantean that, sat on the top deck, I pressed the bell for the next stop to find it didn't work. Went to the next, the same... turned out none of them worked! The driver didn't hear us shout over the crashing of the fixtures and fittings, so it was down to me as a ~10 year old to try and fight my way down the stairs against the driver seemingly enjoying a high speed slalom of the parked cars and tight bends of the housing estate, which made this quite the careful balancing act! We eventually got his attention and got dropped off several roads away.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Most of the memorable bus and coach journeys I recall are from very different times; from when there were no 62.5mph speed limiters and er... no actual speed limiters.

A few examples:
  • "Swimming days" in primary school. There was a short period of time when there would be an Aberdeen-allocated coach spare in Elgin for an hour or two and it'd be sent out to take us to the pool. The square MCW Metroliners appeared a couple of times, as did one or two of the Goldliner "London Tigers"; the rest of the time it was either a Duple Dominant or Alexander TC-bodied Leyland Tiger that turned up.
  • Returning from the Model Rail Scotland exhibition at the SECC in Glasgow. This was an annual trip for our club and as one of the members was the area manager for the company that supplied the coaches, there was always something "special" sent up from Aberdeen to do the run; MCW Metroliners featured a few times (don't laugh), and there was also the former Aberdeen Football Club coach, a Tiger with a six-speed ZF gearbox and a lot of grunt. I'm saying no more to protect the guilty! :)
  • In my student days, travelling between Aberdeen and Edinburgh on the "Saltire Cross" services, sometimes changing at Perth; if the inbound from Inverness was a Rapson's job, you were more or less guaranteed a late departure and a fairly hair-raising journey along the M90.
  • My one and only overnight National Express trip to London on the day that I sat and failed my university exams; went to the Student Union afterwards, drank loads of cocktails and then remembered that I was booked on the coach that night. The adorable Scouse steward looked after me and made sure that I was suitably sobered up by the time I arrived at Victoria.
I should probably write a book! :)

Fleetmaster

Heritage coaching.

I'm just a bit too young to remember them in service, so a rally trip in a beautifully restored late 70s Plaxton Panorama coach with table seating was an absolute blast. It was obviously either a Bedford or Leyland, I just remember it was loud, but somehow dignified. Elegant power.

It was only a short run, just a circle to the station two miles away, but the sun being out and the roads quiet so it could stretch its legs made it really easy to imagine what the heyday of European coaching holidays must have been like.

Snow Rider.

My shortest bus trip ever. Arrived in Leeds by train in the middle of a blizzard at teatime in January. Boarded a Yorkshire Rider decker, probably a Park Royal Atlantean I guess. He heaved off, the wheels turned for the first twenty or so yards, the bus slid sideways for the next twenty, the driver seemingly having locked his brakes.

The bus glides over the already compacted snow and gently kisses the kerb, coming to a standstill. Driver switches the engine off and starts packing up his gear. We all silently accept we are now snow people, and quietly disembark, looking at each other as if this is the last time we will ever see another human again. I have no idea why I still love Yorkshire Rider, given they nearly killed me.

The Literary Self Preservation Society

My expectation that the green branded single decker Wright bodied Volvo? Bronte bus in West Yorkshire would be a pleasant run along a river valley in picturesque West Yorkshire. I had a perfect view from the first row of elevated rear seats.

I had somehow missed the fact that it actually crosses over from one valley to the next, and what ensued as it sumitted was the closest I will ever come to experiencing the final scenes of The Italian Job. The drops alone made it feel very scary, but the lack of safety barriers, high speed of the driver and the entirely unsuitable lightweight flimsy build of the bus, made it all the more frightening.

Space bus

It's funny what sticks with you. I've ridden bendy buses, Routemasters, Malta buses, Ailsas, and God knows what else. But in the category of unusual types, it's surprising to realise I was most taken by the experience of riding in an airside bus. Those things are huge. Cavernous.

In the heat of some Spanish runway, it should have been unbearable, but it was cool and calming, and surprisingly roomy despite the full load. It was so unusual, so seemingly unroadworthy in the conventional sense, you can't help but wonder if you're on another planet.

Stagecoach Miracle?

Bucking recent trends, Stagecoach recently took over a route near me, and seems keen to impress and win custom. I had occasion to use it last month, and was unphased to see a nice clean Enviro400 MMC heave gently to. I bound upstairs, and felt immediately strange.

It took a few moments to diagnose my ailment. I had as a matter of habit already taken in the age of the vehicle, noting it to be five years old. And yet looking around inside, this bus was spotless. I'm not talking clean, this bus was inexplicably, for all the world, in showroom condition. Not like new, but as new. It made no sense.

It still doesn't. I can't shake the feeling this must be down to some unusual circumstance. A reg change, an insurance job, a very early refurb. And yet, to be fair, it could equally be the result of dedicated cleaning and engineering work.

Whatever the reason, it's soo long since I got my new bus fix, and having grown tired of the trend for faux leather seats, this classic beach ball moquette beauty was a real treat. Even though she vexed me so.

A pale imitation

I was lucky enough to be a student in the Routemaster swan song. Although re-engined and tweaked, there was enough original charm to please this simple boy raised on rear engined boxes.

A return to London many years later saw me of course specifically seek out runs on the Heritage Routemasters, for nostalgic reasons. Boy, what a disappointment. I must gave got a later refurb or something, but it was all kinds of wrong.

It was so bad, I ended up cutting it short once I'd done the bits of the routes I'd somehow never seen in three years. Which was regrettably, both outer termini.

Double-decker of death

Whether it's an age thing or something about the Enviro400 or the fact it was my first run on it on express dual carriageway routes, this relatively recent experience has given me pause about my usual seat, which is top deck up front, naturally. I was strangely terrified, preoccupied the bus would topple over given the speed. It's the same every time, even on an MMC, but thankfully only at top speed, a rare thing indeed in my area. An entirely irrational fear, I tell myself, trying to ignore the fact reports of buses tipping over seem to be on the rise.

An unmistakable sound

And trip on Region Transport was an extraordinary thing to my childhood self, even though I was regularly exposed to other operators. Immaculate and wonderfully uniform buses. Never late. Always useful. Always full of interesting people. So many destinations. The exotic middle door. The comforting red vinyl bench seats.

And yet standing above all those to sear most permanently in my brain? The sound of the (I assume proprietary) Exact Change Fare Box chomping its way through another batch of deposited coins. There were two sounds, the first drop, a quick sharp sound, then the second drop, a more involved mechanical clunking. Between the two the driver apparently counts the coins in a plastic window, never having to dirty his mitts (and so according to legend, avoid metal poisoning). Ingenious!

Inexplicably, the sounds were loud and crisp enough to echo down the saloon and even be audible upstairs. The sound of movement. Order. Modernity. I was of course too young to appreciate what an absolute annoyance it was to most people's daily lives. The literal sound of state oppression.

It was almost cruel that some years later I spied several examples in the Scottish Bus Museum Edinburgh shed, but alas am no nearer to hearing that sound again.

The Scout Troop Bus

An elderly RH sourced from God knows where, in red with white relief band and the Scout logo in purple. It was a type I was entirely unfamiliar with, having an engine that sounded like nothing else I had heard, and strange start/stop control rituals I'd also never seen on a bus. In hindsight I think the whole mid engined experience was a new one on me. Even my Dad's truck, a Volvo FL tractor unit, sounded and drove like a car compared to this wonderful beast.

I never questioned how or why our permanently windswept Robinson Crusoe of a Troop Leader even knew how to drive a bus let alone if he had a license. He just jumped in, went through the rituals, and vroom, off we went, belching blue smoke. No seat belts, lovely comfy brown leather bench seats, chrome rails and wooden slatted floor. Definitely an ex PSV, probably first generation NBC, my Scout years being the era of the Olympian.

Add all that to the fact it's only passengers were a bunch of riotous boys who were off on yet another (usually entirely undeserved) field trip to laser quest or the leisure center or even the yearly camp in some far off place, and I swear, every journey was an absolute riot.

And as far as I remember, the blooming thing never conked out or refused to start once. Amazing. Although I do think it only managed at most three years in service. Impressive given it was most likely life expired when we got it. In hindsight, our Troop Leader has to have been one of the SAS Originals, for sure.

A crying shame that these days the entire experience is illegal in about a hundred different ways. No wonder kids today are naught but feral monsters.

Bizarrely, much later a local operator had an RH, by then a very odd thing anywhere in PSV circles. I just equally bizarrely never took the opportunity to ride on it. Only years later did I bag one at a rally, and it sounded and even looked the same. Pure nostalgia.

Clydeflyer

Makes you feel old when you recount memorable bus journeys….
  • The Great Snow of December 2010… ended up on last First Glasgow X11 to leave Glasgow at lunchtime before the whole network shutdown for the day. Something like 9 hours to get from Glasgow to the M74 junction 6 (including at one point the driver telling us all to stand at the back of the bus so he could get traction to get up the Baillieston flyover) then having to walk 6 miles home from there as the driver was told to terminate at the junction and abandon the bus. There was abandoned buses and cars everywhere… like a scene out of The Last of Us.
  • Early 2000s, on a First Glasgow X8 from Pollok to Glasgow. Me, a group behind me and a group in front of me. Group behind me were local drug dealers transporting their stock, group in front were Strathclyde Police Drug Squad (undercover). As soon as we hit the M77 at full speed, the bus was the scene of a drugs raid operation with me in the middle. When they shouted that everybody should put their hands where they could see them, even I did.
  • Early 1990s… another great snow…. On last Strathtay Scottish bus out of Dundee northbound before that network shut down for the day. Hours climbing up the A90, stationary for hours and then the Alexander Y Type decided that was it and switched off. Driver then could not start it because battery was flat, so we had to wait - in the dark bus - until we got jump started by an HGV recovery vehicle. Local Mountain Rescue even had to see if everybody on the bus was OK! Think I was 8 hours for a usual 40 min trip.
  • Early 1980s…. every holiday was a bus trip and usual on early days Stagecoach. They ran weekly day trips to Oban, Royal Deeside, Stirling & The Trossachs and occasional ones to Loch Ness, Blair Drummond Safari, and some other places I cannot remember now. You got a trip on a Neoplan Skyliner to all these places, mince and tatties for lunch on the bus, tea/coffee/juice, and a Stagecoach Feed Bag with the cutlery and sugar! We did them for years in the early 80s… one week we did 5 in a row. I remember one trip to Loch Ness, a Skyliner broke down at Loch Lochy and we had to wait hours for rescue buses to come from Perth. But because we were not back in Dundee until after midnight, they took me and my mum all the way home in one of the Volvo coaches just for us! Neighbours must have thought what was going on when a big coach turned up in the street at near 1am.

JKP

There is one that instantly spring to mind.
Travelling from Perth to Spittalfield one Saturday morning in the late 1970s, the driver of the McLennan’s bus driving through a small village and throwing the day’s newspapers out of the cab window and door into peoples gardens.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I remember getting the bus from Taunton to Bridport on a sultry July day. I was 18 and there was a girl about a similar age. She had the big seat at the front of the VR and I had the small one! She had shorts on, was quite pretty, and I was sneaking what I thought was a surreptitious glance or two as we headed to Axminster where we had to change to another VR. We disembarked, boarded the other VR and she returned to "her seat". I elected to sit back a few rows whereby she said "why don't you come up here; I could see you checking out my legs". I was busted! However, she wasn't angry and it wasn't a "come on" or a fever dream either. She was a bit flirty and fun, as I discovered, and was off to see her boyfriend who worked in a hotel in Bridport. Ah well...

Had an experience in c.1987 when travelling on a Leyland National of United Auto that couldn't get up the steepest part (1 in 4) of Lythe Bank north of Whitby. All the passengers having to walk back down the hill and then await assistance.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Following a hill-walking holiday in Snowdonia around 1980, I caught one of Purple Motors' buses from Bethesda to Bangor.

I'm not sure what make of bus it was, but it was second (at least)-hand, of some significant vintage, but was maintained in a very clean, tidy and roadworthy condition.

The journey into Bangor went 'the scenic way' on country lanes via Tregarth, seemingly picking up passengers at random lamp-posts along the way. The driver seemed to know all the passengers personally, and likewise every new passenger seemed to recognise all the other passengers on the bus (except me). Gossiping and conversation was rife in an eclectic mix of Welsh and English.

It was obviously a 'local bus for local people', but I wasn't made to feel especially unwelcome, with my long hair, beard and rucksack; it felt like being in a cosy pre-WW2 scene from All Creatures Great and Small, despite being on the cusp of Thatcher's Britain.

LiviCrazy

Couple of distinct memories.

An evening bus home from Edinburgh to Livingston, two American redneck looking guys got on paid their fare to Dalmahoy then asked the driver if they could play music. They then pulled out banjos/ukuleles and started playing brilliant bluegrass music. As they got off, everyone on the bus applauded them off.

Another journey home commuting from Edinburgh, we had a number of knackered old Plaxton Presidents from London which broke down constantly, especially on the 27/28. This particular journey broke down in the corner from the A71 up to Kirknewton. All lights turned off, someone started singing “the wheels on the bus don’t go round” to which most of the packed bus joined in to much amusement.

Mal

About 6years ago, I saw a route 804 advertised from Inverness to Durness operated by D&E, so decided I'd try it when I was in that area. It went via Strathpeffer, Ullapool, Lochinver. Scourie and Inverbervie, a total of 174miles with about 20miles of single track road with passing places and 5hrs 30mins each way! It was a midi-bus with 11 passengers at its busiest and towed a trailer for up to 8 bikes (which carried 2 pre-booked bikes back from Ullapool.) It had the same driver who had an hour break at Durness and it was a long day and £25 return, but worth every penny.
I talked to one of the passengers who had moved from Leeds to Achriesgill who told me what it was like to live there - about 20miles from Durness. No bank, so a mobile bank went round the area every two weeks! Nearest cinema was Inverness. so mobile cinema came round once every three weeks "And last time it came, there were 8 folk there!" she told me proudly. Anyone who was taken ill went to the Doctor at Kinlochbervie (3miles) and seriously ill patients were helcoptered to Inverness. Nearest big supermarket was at Ullapool 70miles (!) so she went there twice a month, not a big shop, but a Huge shop! Her Dentist was at Tain on the East coast, but how to get there? Easy. Community bus to Durness (19miles) then another bus to Lairg (70m) then train to Tain (27m). A total of 116miles each way! After treatment, she booked into a B&B and returned next day! A real expedition, but even so she said herself and her husband would only leave Achriesgill if they had mobility issues. As she went to get off, she said "I hope my husband's there with the wheelbarrow to take all this shopping." 15 bags of it!

The driver lived in Inverness and said he loved the route. He had 'emigrated' there from London and never regretted it! A much slower pace of life and a better work life balance he said.

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
One - admittedly short - ride that's stuck with me long after the operator concerned went under was a white-knuckle run from Kilbowie Fire Station to Clydebank Business Park on a McKindless Mini Pointer Dart SLF on their 62 in 2008-09 (the exact year escapes me, but it was definitely in McKindless' last 2 or so years of operation).

Must have been a particularly quick bus, lead-footed driver or a combination of both of those in addition to a clear run (green lights at every junction and no-one flagging us down), because as result, a section of the route that on average takes around 5-10 minutes to cover was behind us in less than 2 minutes, if that. I'm more than likely exaggerating there, but that Dart, out of all members of the breed I've ridden since, is by a significant margin the quickest.

Another memorable ride on a McKindless Dart (this time a ex-Isle of Man Marshall Capital) was when there was a massive power cut in Glasgow & across West Scotland and we (me and my mum) got caught in the resulting traffic chaos while onboard this Dart. Remember being stuck, gridlocked on Kilbowie Road between Chalmers St and Singer station for what seemed like ages. Can't recall if we ended up getting off and walking to our destination, but we most likely did.

Last edited:

JD2168

Mine is two on the same route the Sherwood Arrow operated by Stagecoach between Nottingham & Worksop via Ollerton.

First one was sat upstairs on a tuneful Enviro 400 the ups & downs & the countryside made it a very pleasant journey.

Second one was sat on an Optare Excel bouncing off the limiter on the B6034 between Ollerton & Worksop, boy that bus could shift.

Others include journeys on the X17 between Sheffield & Matlock particularly as you come towards Matlock you can see for many miles on a sunny day.

Other memorable journeys I had when younger were B10m Alexander PS’s with a Voith Gearbox & travelling on Dennis Dominators both largely used in South Yorkshire.

Last edited:

ElBoiii

A lot of days out, one that sticks out a lot is one time I went on the X78 between Sheffield and Doncaster - my last journey on a B7TL as of now and probably my last ever!

01d-and

Most of the memorable bus and coach journeys I recall are from very different times; from when there were no 62.5mph speed limiters and er... no actual speed limiters.

Travelling on a Midland Red LC11 between Birmingham and Manchester,we seemed to spend most of the time when on the M6 at speed in the outside lane. :D

Last edited:

frodshamfella

Established Member
The 725 Greenline from Heathrow Airport to Bexleyheath. I also think fondly of the Greenline network.

Last edited by a moderator:

OptareLover

On Moderation
A memorable one for me will definitely be the Stagecoach Cumbria & North Lancashire 78. The views are amazing and it feels like you're on a rollercoaster if it's windy! One top of that, you're on an open-top ALX400!

Status
Not open for further replies.