• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MerseyRail BR Fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumble

This may have been covered here before but last week I wanted to go from Huyton to Hamilton Square
searching for ham does not come up you need to put in Birkenhead Hamilton Square although Merseyrail call it Hamilton Square in all their publicity which was confusing

I wonder why a cdr is available to Conway Park but not to Hamilton Square when they are very close

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
This may have been covered here before but last week I wanted to go from Huyton to Hamilton Square
searching for ham does not come up you need to put in Birkenhead Hamilton Square although Merseyrail call it Hamilton Square in all their publicity which was confusing

I wonder why a cdr is available to Conway Park but not to Hamilton Square when they are very close
It's simply a case of pricing policies - Merseyrail abolished most of their CDRs (Off-Peak Day Returns) some years back, when they 'replaced' them with a Saveaway (I think that's what it's called). However they still have a few floating around.

Merseyrail appear to take the Underground-esque view that they don't need to mention the name of the area a station is in, if it is "obvious". Except it's not so obvious when buying a ticket online or at a ticket machine!

jumble

It's simply a case of pricing policies - Merseyrail abolished most of their CDRs (Off-Peak Day Returns) some years back, when they 'replaced' them with a Saveaway (I think that's what it's called). However they still have a few floating around.

Merseyrail appear to take the Underground-esque view that they don't need to mention the name of the area a station is in, if it is "obvious". Except it's not so obvious when buying a ticket online or at a ticket machine!

Thanks for the update I saved a whole 30P by going the Conway Park although nothing to stop me breaking the journey

I have never travelled in Liverpool before
I was a bit shocked that on the Saturday the trains to Huyton were hourly and the last one back was 17.10
( I understand this may have been fallout due to the strike action)
Bit different to my Met to Rayners every 7 minutes and last train after midnight

lyndhurst25

Established Member
"SaveAway" is the MerseyTravel multimodal ticket valid on trains, buses and ferries in Merseyside (plus trains to Ormskirk and Chester too). The MerseyRail revenue grab equivalent is called the DaySaver, costs only 10p less and is only valid on the MerseyRail Northern and Wirral Lines.

Birkenhead Hamilton Square is a good name, so at least people know which side of the river they are on. But then we have "James Street Liverpool", rather than "Liverpool James Street". More confusing though is plain "Moorfields".

Interestingly Hamilton Square is part of Liverpool Stations Routeing Group, so if travelling between two stations that are not part of the group, e.g. Huyton to Kirkdale, then you are allowed to travel via Hamilton Square "for interchange purposes only" i.e. they won't let you out!

Last edited:

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Thanks for the update I saved a whole 30P by going the Conway Park although nothing to stop me breaking the journey

I have never travelled in Liverpool before
I was a bit shocked that on the Saturday the trains to Huyton were hourly and the last one back was 17.10
( I understand this may have been fallout due to the strike action)
Bit different to my Met to Rayners every 7 minutes and last train after midnight
Yes, the early last train will have been much earlier due to the strike. But it's not quite comparable comparing an inner London Underground service to a metro service in Liverpool!

transmanche

Established Member
Yes, the early last train will have been much earlier due to the strike. But it's not quite comparable comparing an inner London Underground service to a metro service in Liverpool!
Not sure that Rayners Lane has ever counted as 'inner London'... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.