• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
How do they achieve a level floor throughout on these, compared to the multiple levels on the Flirts?

Smaller wheels, which is acceptable due to the low top speed. Same as a tram, indeed the METRO platform sort of is a tram, even though they look like and are often referred to as FLIRTs as the body is of that style.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parjon

Smaller wheels, which is acceptable due to the low top speed. Same as a tram, indeed the METRO platform sort of is a tram, even though they look like and are often referred to as FLIRTs as the body is of that style.
It's not a tram in any way, and the only time it's "often" referred to as a FLIRT is by you!!!

It's a metro train from a metro platform.

samrammstein

The PIS is currently knackered and stuck showing Liverpool Central as the destination. The train manager is doing supplementary announcements instead but the PA sounds like 64kbps compressed mp3 audio if anyone is old enough to remember that!

Last edited:

Vespa

Established Member
The PIS is currently knackered and stuck showing Liverpool Central as the destination. The train manager is doing supplementary announcements instead but the PA sounds like 64kbps compressed mp3 audio if anyone is old enough to remember that!
PIS ?

Wezz

Teething problems as everyone should expect

Liverpool 507

I took my first ride on 777049 out of Kirkby this morning and I was very impressed indeed. Much better than I expected and I look forward to more of these trains in service soon. The Stadler train presentation team at Kirkdale have worked wonders overnight on the floor with the salt etc.

M28361M

Teething problems as everyone should expect
Yep, I think these sort of things can be expected as the crews get used to the new PIS system. For example, I was on the 1328 from Kirkby yesterday afternoon and the internal displays were showing the station arrival times for the 1343.

Ribbleman

I know originally the WiFi was meant to work in the tunnels, but I don't know if it does in practice.
There is a contract with Panasonic to make WiFi available throughout the Merseyrail network but I don’t know if the facility has become live yet.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Do they have exterior PA speakers?

If you listen in this video shortly after the doors start closing:

you can hear the same voice used for the on-board announcements say "Please stand back from the platform edge". It's hard to tell though, it might just be the station PA.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I heard that on one of the others too, so I guess so. Bitte zurueckbleiben!
Traditionally in Germany it says that before the doors close though - they don't say from what you should zurückbleiben; I've always interpreted it as meaning the doors not the platform edge. (I appreciate this is pedantry in the extreme.)

Nonetheless, one more (albeit very small) step towards them just rebranding the entire thing as S-Bahn Mersey :)

I wonder if it's possible for the driver or guard to speak through the exterior speakers.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Has anybody tested the power charging points and wifi system?
And will the wifi work in the tunnels?

The WiFi wasn't working on Monday. It shows on your phone, but doesn't actually work.

I inquired with a Merseyrail bod on the train and he says its likely to be about SIX WEEKS before it's up and running!

jamesst

Traditionally in Germany it says that before the doors close though - they don't say from what you should zurückbleiben; I've always interpreted it as meaning the doors not the platform edge. (I appreciate this is pedantry in the extreme.)

Nonetheless, one more (albeit very small) step towards them just rebranding the entire thing as S-Bahn Mersey :)

I wonder if it's possible for the driver or guard to speak through the exterior speakers.
Yep we can speak through the external speakers from the cabs.

Geeves

Established Member
It makes sense seeing as the original spec was DOO and is common on European Sbahn driver only stock. Quite often youll see the driver doing his announcements on the platform via a long wire to the cab.

Wezz

For trains that they've been using internally for about 5 years. What exactly where they doing (or not doing) that meant they didn't pick up on such problems earlier?
Testing covers a vast number of components and equipment, some things won't come up until regular passenger service commences and they're being used constantly.

777009 allocated today, but 0943 cancelled due to a door fault
Teething problems, everyone should expect this.

The doors will cause some issues due to the sensitive edge and sliding step

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Teething problems, everyone should expect this.

The doors will cause some issues due to the sensitive edge and sliding step
Everyone shouldn't expect a unit to come off the depot and be declared a failure before it has operated its first service of the day.

43102EMR

Established Member
Everyone shouldn't expect a unit to come off the depot and be declared a failure before it has operated its first service of the day.
These things happen - can imagine similar teething issues were found with the 507s/8s when they were first introduced.