• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

karlbbb

I would assume these slots are similar to the Kirkby slots that were taken and will be driver training/route testing? Hopefully we'll see Ormskirk get the trains in service in the coming weeks. Ormskirk route is just over twice as long as the Kirkby?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D821

This articles claims the 777 will be serving Ormskirk in time for the Grand National in April:

From Monday, March 6, a full 15-minute service will be reinstated. This means all trains on the Kirkby line from this date would be Class 777s. Sunday services will continue, as usually to operate every 30-minutes.

The focus will now shift on to the Ormskirk line, which will be the next part of the Merseyrail network to receive the new trains in time for the Aintree Grand National in April.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skie

How much of a service is practicable without the delivery of some more 777s?
Ormskirk and Kirkby but nothing else could be covered. The added complication being the Kirkby services will need to be all 777/1s when Headbolt Lane opens.

There will be some logistical fun!

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Ormskirk and Kirkby but nothing else could be covered. The added complication being the Kirkby services will need to be all 777/1s when Headbolt Lane opens.

When is Headbolt Lane due to open? Just trying to work out timeframes of service entry.

mcnw35282

When is Headbolt Lane due to open? Just trying to work out timeframes of service entry.
Not for a while yet I’d say. Think it’s been pushed back to summer due to delays with Scottish Power being able to get their feeder cable in due to poor ground conditions due to bad weather

Bevan Price

Established Member
777018 was on one of the Kirkby diagrams today.
I don't know how long it lasted. Around midday, the Kirkby service was running every 45 minutes, worked by a 6 coach 507 or 508 formation.
The 12:20 Liverpool Central to Kirkby was shown as a cancelled 4 coach formation. with an announcement about a train failure.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
It was working this afternoon. I passed it at Sandhills at about 15:40.

There wasn't a 12:20 Liverpool Central - Kirkby. That slot was one of the planned ECS workings so it appears as though it was a PIS failure rather than a train one.

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member
Whether these actually take place remains to be seen of course, RTT are currently showing

Sunday - 1036 6Z76 Kings Norton OTPD to Crewe CS - 1422 6Q77 to Kirkdale CS - 1905 6Z78 to Crewe Down Refuge Siding

Monday - 1030 6Z79 Crewe Down Refuge Siding to Kings Norton OTPD

stssts1985

I'm in Liverpool next week and want to use a 777. I'm on RTT - does anyone know where can I see how many carriges are planned for each service? Is there a trick please?

karlbbb

I'm in Liverpool next week and want to use a 777. I'm on RTT - does anyone know where can I see how many carriges are planned for each service? Is there a trick please?
Current reporting seems to suggest Kirkby will be fully 777 from Monday 6th, so reasonably you can just aim for any of the services on that line and you should be in luck.

They'll all be 4-car services on the Kirkby line.

Liverpool 507

Merseyrail don't offer RTT's know your train. All Kirkby services will be formed of 777s from Monday and are all booked for single units. The only multiple working on the Kirkby line is the last service of the day from Liverpool Central to Kirkby which is formed of two 507/8s which come empty from Hunts Cross.

urbophile

Established Member
Not for a while yet I’d say. Think it’s been pushed back to summer due to delays with Scottish Power being able to get their feeder cable in due to poor ground conditions due to bad weather
What bad weather? We've had no extreme winter weather so far (though I know some is expected next week); no snow and very little frost. Unless it's because the ground is too dry.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
What bad weather? We've had no extreme winter weather so far (though I know some is expected next week); no snow and very little frost. Unless it's because the ground is too dry.
Excuses don't need to be true or even believable. They just need to distract from the real reason and the real reason is usually something organisations don't want to be made public. We are on the Class 777 thread afterall.

PF19

How come Headbolt Lane needs 777/1s?

Is there a list of currently delivered & pending consists?

gka472l

How come Headbolt Lane needs 777/1s?

Is there a list of currently delivered & pending consists?

As far as I know, nearly all the first 18 (not 777011/17) have been delivered to the UK, plus 777049 & 777140 also delivered.

HTH

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Only the UK rail industry could justify fitting batteries to a load of new EMU’s, when all it needs is a few hundred meters of third rail.

Bonkers economics.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Only the UK rail industry could justify fitting batteries to a load of new EMU’s, when all it needs is a few hundred meters of third rail.

Bonkers economics.
the batteries will find more use if/when they extend to Wigan, and other proposals.
See this as both a trial and removing the need for more 3rd rail, which is more dangerous.

Pacef8

Shotton, helsby neston all have large estates that would benefit their economy and the leisure industry with a direct service.

Wezz

HST power cars are booked to drag x2 Class 777 units from Crewe to Kirkdale tomorrow, they're booked to arrive at Sandhills at 16:40.

MR-507508

Has all the work been successfully completed at Liverpool Central, following this weeks closure, to enable the station to accommodate 8 car formations of the Class 777 units?

Elecman

Established Member
And no metering for the 2 station supplies, they haven’t even started the supply registration process yet so at least 6-8 weeks for that

8A Rail

Established Member
As far as I know, nearly all the first 18 (not 777011/17) have been delivered to the UK, plus 777049 & 777140 also delivered.

HTH

Kirkdale C.S. = 001, 003, 004, 007, 008, 009, 010, 013, 015, 018, 049 and 140.
Crewe C.S. = 002, 005, 006, 012, 014, and 016.