• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vinnym

Just seen the Eurovision liveried 777 at Old Roan, operating 0734 to Liverpool, Central, looked great to me, certainly didn’t look like it had been tagged in a Paris siding, as has been posted up thread, I wonder if the poster has seen it in the flesh?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just seen the Eurovision liveried 777 at Old Roan, operating 0734 to Liverpool, Central, looked great to me, certainly didn’t look like it had been tagged in a Paris siding, as has been posted up thread, I wonder if the poster has seen it in the flesh?

Anything with blocked windows is bad as it shows contempt for passengers, however it looks in the flesh.

Wezz

They've applied a similar design on the walls of the subway at Moorfields, it's certainly eye-catching!
MRF & LVC have Eurovision branding, Moorfields is planned to be majorly done up with Eurovision branding over the next few weeks, unsure if LVJ and Lime Street LL have got any branding or not.

Skie

MRF & LVC have Eurovision branding, Moorfields is planned to be majorly done up with Eurovision branding over the next few weeks, unsure if LVJ and Lime Street LL have got any branding or not.
Be nice if they cleaned the outside of the station, it’s grotty as anything. I know it’s the councils responsibility officially, but surely something can be done?

On Moderation
That’s just your opinion. Other people are entitled to their opinion.
For once, I totally agree with @Bletchleyite. If you’re going to put sticky-back plastic over the windows then either a) remove the window or b) you’ve hired a bad designer if they can’t design round basic features (like a window!).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
For once, I totally agree with @Bletchleyite. If you’re going to put sticky-back plastic over the windows then either a) remove the window or b) you’ve hired a bad designer if they can’t design round basic features (like a window!).

In my view (and I've seen a half-done pic on Twitter) it looks far better without the plastic on the windows.

But I'm sorry, I'm not changing on this - windows are for me to look out of, not to stick official graffiti to. Anyone who advocates doing so has gross contempt for my travelling experience. Just don't do it, there's absolutely no need and it doesn't make the livery look better as trains look odd without windows.

For what it's worth, a certain Mr Stenning agrees too, and doesn't design liveries with blocked windows!

8A Rail

Established Member
With the movement of 777144 and 146 from WOJn MSC Sidings to Kirkdale last night, that means all the UK Class 777's are now in the Merseyside area.

Kirkdale C.S. = 001 to 010 inclusive, 012, 013, 014, 015, 016, 018, 049, 140, 142, 144 and 146.

Herefordian

In my view (and I've seen a half-done pic on Twitter) it looks far better without the plastic on the windows.

But I'm sorry, I'm not changing on this - windows are for me to look out of, not to stick official graffiti to. Anyone who advocates doing so has gross contempt for my travelling experience. Just don't do it, there's absolutely no need and it doesn't make the livery look better as trains look odd without windows.

For what it's worth, a certain Mr Stenning agrees too, and doesn't design liveries with blocked windows!

I wouldn't go as far as contempt. It's careless design, I'd say.

Your overall point is one I completely agree with.

Glazing is for looking out of and to provide natural lighting.

Overall though, I like the livery. It's vibrant.

Peter Sarf

Established Member

I can imagine the presence of the windows does limit how big/complex the artwork can be BUT I agree a window is something I look out of for most of my journey. Having that view obscured by something outside that I will not be interested in and will not see for long as I am inside shows contempt for the passenger who is usually inside.

With the movement of 777144 and 146 from WOJn MSC Sidings to Kirkdale last night, that means all the UK Class 777's are now in the Merseyside area.

Kirkdale C.S. = 001 to 010 inclusive, 012, 013, 014, 015, 016, 018, 049, 140, 142, 144 and 146.
Time (well space) for more deliveries from Europe then !. I wonder - any more news on the last three battery 777s (148, 150 & 152) as I guess they will be next to arrive in the UK ?.

Last edited:

samrammstein

At Hooton today it appears that new platform edging slabs are being installed past the current buffer stops on platform 1, so maybe they're going to extend platform 1 towards the road bridge for 8-car 777s?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Needed, it just about fits a current 6 car in

Presumably for reversals if the line south of Hooton is closed? The curious door layout on the 777 is specifically designed such that an 8-car formation stopped with the cab at the end of a 6-car platform will have all passenger doors on the platform, it only falls down when you're reversing.

L401CJF

Established Member
Presumably for reversals if the line south of Hooton is closed? The curious door layout on the 777 is specifically designed such that an 8-car formation stopped with the cab at the end of a 6-car platform will have all passenger doors on the platform, it only falls down when you're reversing.
The bay is regularly used for stabling units too

jamesst

Which in a bay platform you'll have to!
The through platforms are fine, the bay has always been shorter.

samrammstein

777001, 004 and 009 were on KIR today.
777007, 013 and 049 were on OMS today.

777049 was taken out of service on 2G40 due to a door problem, not sure what replaced her.
777015 was present in the siding nearest KKD station at lunchtime, missing a headlight.

Last edited:

childwallblues

Established Member
I saw the Eurovision unit on Kirkdale Depot on Tuesday. It is gawdy and fun looking to complement the worlds biggest party coming to Liverpool next month. Well done Merseyrail for joining in the fun.

On Moderation
I saw the Eurovision unit on Kirkdale Depot on Tuesday. It is gawdy and fun looking to complement the worlds biggest party coming to Liverpool next month. Well done Merseyrail for joining in the fun.
"Gawdy" being a euphemism for "hideous".

Jamesrob637

Established Member

Plus it'll actually run on the day despite the strike action.

paddyb6

777001, 004 and 009 were on KIR today.
777007, 013 and 049 were on OMS today.

777049 was taken out of service on 2G40 due to a door problem, not sure what replaced her.
777015 was present in the siding nearest KKD station at lunchtime, missing a headlight.
008 replaced 049. I travelled on 008 around 1330, guard said problem with the sliding step on 049.

Wezz

Be nice if they cleaned the outside of the station, it’s grotty as anything. I know it’s the councils responsibility officially, but surely something can be done?
Moorfields station manager is working with the council to get outside of our station cleaned up, unfortunately he can't force the council to do anything but rest assured he is pestering them about it.

Parjon

Moorfields station manager is working with the council to get outside of our station cleaned up, unfortunately he can't force the council to do anything but rest assured he is pestering them about it.
Do you recall the Liverpool Vision plan around 15 years ago to level the main building and replace it with a modern street level entrance with retail and other development?

The undercroft area is grimy even when it's clean, and continuously attracts vagrants. Such a wasted space.

TV execs being exposed to a particularly grubby Moorfields, replete with barechested young man camping out in a tent, did us no favours a while back!

The council need taking apart for their approach to "cleanliness".

D821

Do you recall the Liverpool Vision plan around 15 years ago to level the main building and replace it with a modern street level entrance with retail and other development?

The undercroft area is grimy even when it's clean, and continuously attracts vagrants. Such a wasted space.

TV execs being exposed to a particularly grubby Moorfields, replete with barechested young man camping out in a tent, did us no favours a while back!

The council need taking apart for their approach to "cleanliness".
It does seem to be a street that's largely forgotten when it comes to city centre redevelopment.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Just 3 units out today with the Kirkby line closed and 777001 failed again. At least they have found a use for that gimmicky bouncing "M". You can't see a thing out of most of the windows of 777013 so you need the bouncing "M" to work out where you are.

777001 / 007 / 009 were out on the Ormskirk line yesterday along with 507026 and 2 other PEPs (I didn’t catch their numbers unfortunately).

Eurovision liveried 777013 spent the day on display at Southport, returning to Kirkdale as 5T96 at 16.37 and seen passing Ainsdale at 16.43.

Pacef8

11-3 pm today at birkenhead north brightening up the area this afternoon . Hopefully hooton tomorrow.

Vespa

Established Member
777001 taken out of service at Magull lots of people offloaded.

*Edit to add the next train is an Eurovision train 777 013, so turned out for the best :D

Last edited: